GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Welcome to page 27!

su-27-DDST8809314_JPG.jpg

(for those that don't know, the picture above is of a Russian Su-27 fighter jet) :P

What's with the fascination, and ultimate celebration of "new pages?"

btw, I think this will be a very cool project for dt. I'm glad to hear that more contracts have been signed, which would signal that the Pavillions project is more solidly financed than it appears. . .now if we could just get more people to reside dt.

Edited by 713 To 214

For housing? Because it's a slightly different animal than retail. You have to identify the market and learn what type of residents are easiest to bring into the fray. Then you have to wrestle with financing and the like. That takes a little time. Just look at Midtown.

I'm certainly not saying that HP's going to take 3-5 years. I expect that to be up and going in full within the next couple of years provided that groundbreaking is this fall.

Sorry if I didn't make the distinction. I was just more talking about the longterm impact on residential. Tends to take longer than it does for retail, especially in a market like Houston (or Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, etc).

The following is an email from South Texas College of Law:

stclstudents-bounces@list.stcl.edu on behalf of Greg Brothers (brothers@stcl.edu)

Subject: [stclstudents] The Houston Pavilions Project

As some of you are aware, an outside group is scheduled to develop the three vacant blocks of land starting with the block directly across from the college on Polk street and including the two vacant blocks of land directly west of that block. This project is to be a multi-use project to include retail/entertainment, office, and residential. Some of you have inquired into the status of the project since construction has not yet begun on these three blocks. The following is an update. At this point, the project is scheduled to start on September 15th of this year. The developers expect to have the project completed in time for the holiday shopping period in December of 2007. My personal view and the view of those professionals in the construction industry is that this is optimistic as it is an extremely fast schedule. Time will only tell if this schedule will be met. The project has now signed up the following upscale clients to include: The House of Blues, McCormick and Schmidt Seafood Restaurants, Lucky Strike Bowling, Yao's Restaurant, Lawry's Prime Rib, Boca Chica, and Mia Bella. A 12 story residential tower is planned on the southeast corner of the lot closest to us. While this is a very exciting project and if successful will definitely upgrade our part of downtown, it will impact our ability to navigate the streets next to and around the project. Once the project begins, we will be putting out bulletins in this regard to keep you informed. In addition, for those students who are used to parking on any of these lots, I would strongly suggest that you start making alternate arrangements. Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know. - Greg Brothers _______________________________________________Stclstudents mailing list

Don't panic just yet. Much easier to get the big name stuff signed up than the niche stuff. HOB and Lucky Strike are big name tenants to start with. The stuff that many of you are coveting is likely to be hit or miss until the thing actually gets built.

I'm surprised to hear about Mia Bella, though. Would this be a second location? Their current one is basically el primo, as far as location goes.

No they don't. Their practice gym is inside the large windows along the west side of the building.
I have heard that they have a gym under the main court.

back when they were building the arena, Rudy T was coaching the Rockets, and he didn't mind having people see the practice court, and having fans seeing them practice.

but then Rudy T was fired....err Resigned.

So they hired Jeff Van Gundy, and Van Gundy didn't want the public and whoever to see their practice, so he had Rockets brass cover up the window. They put up plants and poles so people couldn't get close, and I think they painted the glass or removed, i dont recall. but it now has Toyota Cars and Trucks or the Toyota logo or what not. I can't seem to remember even though I pass by Toyota Center all the time.

The window I am talking about is near the corner of Labranch and Bell.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that the downtown groups are pushing all of the retailers interested in considering downtown right to Houston Pavilions so that it can be kind of a package with G.R.B. to better market the city and from what I can tell it is working. I heard in passing that Hewlette Packard just decided to have its convention here, and that there are some other major groups looking at Houston harder now. This would be really bad timing for a dome- theme type of hotel thing to occur right when it looks like Downtown is positioned to have a real big up swing that is long past due. We all want more people to come downtown right ?

It appears that the downtown groups are pushing all of the retailers interested in considering downtown right to Houston Pavilions so that it can be kind of a package with G.R.B. to better market the city and from what I can tell it is working. I heard in passing that Hewlett Packard just decided to have its convention here, and that there are some other major groups looking at Houston harder now. This would be really bad timing for a dome- theme type of hotel thing to occur right when it looks like Downtown is positioned to have a real big up swing that is long past due. We all want more people to come downtown right ?

I agree. We sure want Downtown to become something huge, like it is now. The Astrodome Convention Center and Hotel shouldn't hurt though. Downtown, to me seems like the overall better location if you look at it. Once the Pavilions gets up, and then the Downtown Park, I wouldn't know why anyone would not choose Downtown over the Dome Hotel. Well, maybe if Downtown was booked solid, then I could see :).

Also, how big is that Hewlett Packard Convention?

I agree. We sure want Downtown to become something huge, like it is now. The Astrodome Convention Center and Hotel shouldn't hurt though. Downtown, to me seems like the overall better location if you look at it. Once the Pavilions gets up, and then the Downtown Park, I wouldn't know why anyone would not choose Downtown over the Dome Hotel. Well, maybe if Downtown was booked solid, then I could see :).

Once again, IF something hot happens to the Astroworld location, Reliant Park and Downtown could strongly accomodate/compete with each other as Convention locations. Reliant Center could use the hotel as a boost. At the same time, Downtown and Uptown would be competing for retail. Beautiful! Now imagine if Uptown had a convention center eventually :P

I got a few suggestions for Pavillions. Rainforest Cafe, D&B, Jullians, Virgin Megastore (I'ma keep saying that), Sam's Boat, Razzos, and Edwards Cinema.

I do think that a dome where people go in and do everything is not good for the city and only for those investors involved. I think it would be a great problem to have over-booking, and discussing solutions for this downtown would be huge for downtown. Unfortunately though I recently read an article in the Houston Chronicle about hotels working on ways I believe with the city on restructuring their debt....I understand that it is easy for downtown groups to push Houston Pavilions and feel a sense of accomplishment ,but Houston Pavilions doesn't really need their help in my opinion because it sells itself. I am convinced the Houston Pavilions is definately happening, and it will have a great impact on the area. I sure would like to see instead the downtown groups actively promote downtown as a whole. I think if they were doing more promoting of downtown as a whole (which requires a lot of real hard work) then you wouldn't perhaps have two tenants (M.Bia. /R.Cat) moving from one side of downtown to open 4-5 locations under different names in the Pavilions. How does this occuring benefit downtown ?? I am pro H.Pavilions and think it is great for the area, but I am also pro- all of downtown and wish that these downtown groups would tackle this need to promote the downtown area as a whole. I heard H. Pack. /8,500 people ? Also maybe Microsoft looking with 10, 000 ?

I do see that on the surface we have dueling convention sites. But the thing that would make this work is getting more conventions booked into both sites. Rodeo, football, OTC already command lots of dates and hotel rooms. Adding to the mix could be some of the bigger conventions like HP, Microsoft, Medical conventions etc. This could make Houston very important in being a serious convention city host rivaling Chicago, Dallas, Vegas, etc. Then again, things may work out in a less than rosy perspective. I am optimistic on this though.

I got a few suggestions for Pavillions. Rainforest Cafe, D&B, Jullians, Virgin Megastore (I'ma keep saying that), Sam's Boat, Razzos, and Edwards Cinema.

The Virgin store would be cool...the rest however are unoriginal. We need some original, unique projects.

Well, I think there is plenty of room at this moment for plenty of conventions and some are getting better.

This past week's NAPE convention was a good example. it has increased 40% from last year's and is expected to increase an additional 20%+ next year. This year's attendence was estimated to be about 5000 people for about 4 days. That's quite a bit of dough especially when you consider any support staff they may bring with them!

Well, I think there is plenty of room at this moment for plenty of conventions and some are getting better.

This past week's NAPE convention was a good example. it has increased 40% from last year's and is expected to increase an additional 20%+ next year. This year's attendence was estimated to be about 5000 people for about 4 days. That's quite a bit of dough especially when you consider any support staff they may bring with them!

You are absolutely correct that there are lots and lots of conventions. Houston simply needs to find the best marketing folks and nab them. The rail is there from Reliant to downtown. And when everyone gets done fighting over the university line, that will be a huge help in attracting out of towners. Folks like easy access to a train (or bus) and other options rather than renting automobiles. Wow a 40 percent increase at NAPE's convention. That is pretty awesome.

What's with the fascination, and ultimate celebration of "new pages?"

btw, I think this will be a very cool project for dt. I'm glad to hear that more contracts have been signed, which would signal that the Pavillions project is more solidly financed than it appears. . .now if we could just get more people to reside dt.

I think you make an interesting point regarding people living downtown. It is my understanding that downtown has close to 5,000 people and midtown has app. 10,000 people. Combined that makes app. 15,000 people. Why don't the downtown groups just call downtown , simply "downtown" and combine the 15,000 people to promote growth downtown? I think we can all agree that Midtown is intended to be a residential downtown neighborhood. Midtowners want Midtown to be more of a residential neighborhood anyway from what I can tell reading this blog anyway.(for example: CVS types of issues) Downtown can simply be what it is intended to be the commercial area where people come to do business and with 15,000 people residing in and around it. Additionally, you have some that like living in the middle of the action downtown, and then those who want maybe a yard and more of neighborhood feel but yet next to downtown or the Midtown area. Let's discard all of these names for the same downtown area and focus on exploiting strengths the entire area already has as a whole instead of inventing more and more cute names that end up watering down the demographics and that scare businesses from coming downtown. I thought 10,000 was the magic # for retail, I think a number closer to 15,000 better reflects what truly already exists downtown, but unfortunately so much is made of having all of these diff. names that downtown is having to market itself froma position of weakness, which is just a shame.

The Virgin store would be cool...the rest however are unoriginal. We need some original, unique projects.

I think a Virgin, Rainforest, and Niketown would be cool. A downtown Bloomingdales with those flashy lights like the one in San Francisco would be cool, too.