GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Does the Hilton have high occupancy rates?

I think it does pretty well, especially when there are events at the GRB. Every time I've been inside it, the Hilton has seemed to be pretty busy. It really is a great hotel, and from the reviews I've read of it on sites like FlyerTalk that cater to frequent business travelers are stellar.

$285 for the hilton, i believe (that's some expensive basket-weave! :D)

The hotel has very nice interior finishes though. That's part of its expense.

But didn't they dig in the ground a bit for the Toyota Center?

32' below ground. when you walk in, your on the main concourse, so if you have good seats you'll have to walk down to them. works for me, less i have to walk up.

You ever heard of the 24 drinking game? :lol: Everytime Bauer says "damn" or "dammit", you and your friends are supposed to drink a shot :lol: Just throwing that out there. Ah, DJ games :D

Back on subject, can anyone see a Barnes & Noble or Borders with extended hours at the Pavillions? It'd be nice to walk to a bookstore/coffee shop at 3:30am and read a book or hang out all night on a balcony or patio downtown with no alcohol involved. I'd DEFINATELY go there after a dj set, clubbing, or hanging out at House of Blues or Main Street. Do you think other Houstonians would also?

I for one would love to have Barnes and Noble to read at and then walk around the area , have something to eat and be able to take the ....ahem...train to other areas on the Metro line...However even though we have a public library, I don't care to visit it as there are too many homeless or transient people in the area loitering around...haven't been back to the library since my last experience...but if Barnes and Noble could keep out the people who would just use it to loiter in and sleep in the chairs...the bookstore would definitely be a place to read, have coffee and people watch.

32' below ground. when you walk in, your on the main concourse, so if you have good seats you'll have to walk down to them. works for me, less i have to walk up.

And the Rockets have their practice gym below the main court.

I for one would love to have Barnes and Noble to read at and then walk around the area , have something to eat and be able to take the ....ahem...train to other areas on the Metro line...However even though we have a public library, I don't care to visit it as there are too many homeless or transient people in the area loitering around...haven't been back to the library since my last experience...but if Barnes and Noble could keep out the people who would just use it to loiter in and sleep in the chairs...the bookstore would definitely be a place to read, have coffee and people watch.

24-hour classy bookstore needed indeed :)

I FINALLY checked out the Main Street clubbing scene and nightlife last weekend, and I have yet to see a homeless person on Downtown's streets since being back (across the freeway from MMP's a totally different story though). I doubt a homeless population will be a problem for Pavillions or the Downtown Park because of the laws and enforcement in place.

More than anything, I'm curious how Pavilions will change the nightlife scene Downtown. As I was walking with my friends from Austin at Midnight on Main, they were very unimpressed with the atmosphere. That being said, as we left, we passed by the upcoming Pavilions site. Will Pavilions help or hurt the developing nightlife on Main Street?

Will Pavilions help or hurt the developing nightlife on Main Street?

Three blocks of shops, clubs, offices and condos? I'm betting it can't hurt. I'll even buy you your first drink!

:D

Edited by nmainguy

Houston Pavilions now has a website.

Pavilions

Here is an OLD render of the project.

pavilions2wg.jpg

The renders on the site seem to correspond with the recent chronicle article about the project, unlike the old image above.

newpavilions5ln.jpg

The light rail on main is at the bottom of the picture and it looks like the new Hilton is also in the background.

There are a few more random pictures on the site.

What website did you get this from

24-hour classy bookstore needed indeed :)

my friends from Austin at Midnight on Main, they were very unimpressed with the atmosphere.

What a shame. What could possibly be done to make your friends from Austin impressed with Main at midnight?

That being said, as we left, we passed by the upcoming Pavilions site. Will Pavilions help or hurt the developing nightlife on Main Street?

I think it will help, tremendously. I am not sure, but I doubt there will be any clubs or late-night bars @ the Pavilions... If there is anything 24 hour, it will be more then likely a Starbucks, cafe, sports bar (If any kind of bar, I'm hoping for sports bar!!!), fitness center, or hopefully a book store.

Being 7-11 Blocks away from the heart of Main Street's Clubbing, I think this will set Downtown in concrete for a destination other then Work, Baseball/Basketball/Hockey Games, Conventions, and theatre. Perhaps you could throw in the Aquarium... But This project will probibly boost Downtown's potential in general. I mean, with all the "Lifestyle Centers" being proposed, hopefully this one will be built, and will try to differ from the others. If it can keep the weekday workers downtown after work, and perhaps keep the resteraunt crowd dill late night (to club, etc.)... then this project will raise Downtown out of the dust.

Weeknight:

After work, you head to the pavilions to work out, eat, shop, etc.

Its friday night, you only have your work clothes, so you go shopping at (for mysake, I'll chose this store for its club clothing) Wish -in the pavilions-, change into those clothes, perhaps do more shopping... grab a bite to eat, go to the bar after, take the train up Main to the clubs, then take the train back to the car, and go home.

Or perhaps the game is over. Assuming you/your group is not lazy, walk a few blocks to the light rail station, head over to the pavillions or go clubbing.

Now... if only we could get some kind of developement inbetween the Baseball stadium to connect to the Skyline/and or Historic District.

What a shame. What could possibly be done to make your friends from Austin impressed with Main at midnight?

:lol: Honestly, MiDTOWNeR, I do not know what the big hype is about 6th street.

Edited by Montrose1100

I think it will help, tremendously. I am not sure, but I doubt there will be any clubs or late-night bars @ the Pavilions... If there is anything 24 hour, it will be more then likely a Starbucks, cafe, sports bar (If any kind of bar, I'm hoping for sports bar!!!), fitness center, or hopefully a book store.

If you mean late night, as in 2 am, there will be several. House of Blues and the bowling alley will both be late night. If you mean after hours, no, there will not be. There may be a 24 hour cafe, but no clubs. I would think a sports bar would do very well here, also.

I can see Pavillions and North Main both doing well. They will have different vibes, attracting different demographics. One is historic cool, the other modern cool.

As for 6th Street, no surprise that the Austinites are unimpressed. 6th Street appeals to the 21 year old college kids, who like shot bars and vomiting on the sidewalk. Main Street is going after a different crowd. Not to denigrate 6th Street or shot bars, but most people outgrow that after a few years, though the memories remain.

Being 7-11 Blocks away from the heart of Main Street's Clubbing, I think this will set Downtown in concrete for a destination other then Work, Baseball/Basketball/Hockey Games, Conventions, and theatre. Perhaps you could throw in the Aquarium... But This project will probibly boost Downtown's potential in general. I mean, with all the "Lifestyle Centers" being proposed, hopefully this one will be built, and will try to differ from the others. If it can keep the weekday workers downtown after work, and perhaps keep the resteraunt crowd dill late night (to club, etc.)... then this project will raise Downtown out of the dust.

Weeknight:

After work, you head to the pavilions to work out, eat, shop, etc.

Its friday night, you only have your work clothes, so you go shopping at (for mysake, I'll chose this store for its club clothing) Wish -in the pavilions-, change into those clothes, perhaps do more shopping... grab a bite to eat, go to the bar after, take the train up Main to the clubs, then take the train back to the car, and go home.

Or perhaps the game is over. Assuming you/your group is not lazy, walk a few blocks to the light rail station, head over to the pavillions or go clubbing.

Now... if only we could get some kind of developement inbetween the Baseball stadium to connect to the Skyline/and or Historic District.

Nice post but you forgot one thing to add to the equation:

Pavillions will almost essentially connect the Hitlon America's and Toyota Center (HP ends just 2 blocks west) to Main Street. For Rockets, Comets and Aeros games, I could see Pavillions fast becoming an ideal hangout destination both before and after games. I personally believe that's why this site was chosen...simply due to its proximity to both the GRB complex, Toyota Center, and Main St, all 3 of which are drawing cards in downtown's scene. On top of that, you have the added benefit of the city's largest office corridor flanking the development's north side, making it ideal for residences and "happy hours."

My only wish is that Houston Pavillions could have been extended just two blocks further east to literally connect to both the Hilton Americas, Toyota Center and the urban gardens side of the new downtown park, which would be across the street. Can you imagine the effect Houston Pavillions would have on downtown's east side if this were to happen....

• Like 1

The key to HP is the long range planning and its long range effect on three primary DT areas: north on Main, east on Dallas and south on Main.

My vision is for HP to affect retail on Main from Dallas to the Historic District, to affect hotel and housing on Dallas from Main to the new downtown park/convention center/Toyota Center and to affect the empty lots south on Main with new residential construction. We'll see, though. A lot is riding on HP's placement and management.

It's going to be a ceremonious event once groundbreaking commences.