GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

hey everyone....

first off, i have been reading the boards for a while now, you know, all stealthy like :ph34r:

anyway, so i work for a temporary utility equipment company (here in houston, btw). i took a call from an engineering firm today looking for 3000 tons of temporary cooling for a '3 block project downtown.' so of course, me being nosey, i asked him if it was the pavillions. he seemed totally shocked, but responded 'yeah, actually'. basically they are putting together back-up plans for cooling the project...

so, the gears are turning...

Interesting. Did they give any indication on when they might need the equipment ??

I didn't know the 24-hour starbucks was even in exsistance until a week ago. Its lively, but usually teenagers... Even when the lobby is not closed, people sit outside. A downtown one might be too scary because of the Homeless, which drives people away. Even sitting in a particular cafe in Montrose at odd hours of the night, the homeless/bums will walk by asking for money, I refused this one guy who threw a nickle at me.

Maybe it being in the Pavillions is a little more secure?

There's a crackdown on the homeless living Downtown or Midtown, so there's no reason to be scared of that area if that's what scares you B)

I wasn't aware of the 24-hour Starbucks either until my friend took me there last week Tuesday at 3am. Looked like people of all ages between 20 and 50 were there. What threw me off was the fact that there doesn't seem to be any other 24-hour businesses or residence within walking distance. They all drove. If you have the same concept in a pedestrian area where people could park not to far from it, and residence lived on top of it, why would it not work? It could be the perfect place for all hours of the day, including right before clubbing hours.

I'm not so sure a 24-hour fitness place would be neccesary Downtown though. Most of these new upper-class residential lofts have small gyms in them. I would imagine Pavillions being the same. Maybe if a 24-hour fitness place were planned, it'd do better in Midtown than Downtown...

Interesting. Did they give any indication on when they might need the equipment ??

no, they didn't. but it's normal for engineering firms to call about future projects with vague information about start dates and such. don't worry, if i talk to them again i'll pry for more info... :P

Oh, now the date change to September 15th. Then, its going to change to this winter, then back date it until next year.

This is another ring around the rosie project.

That everyone was your periodic pessimistic comment brought to you by none other houstonsemipro :wacko: .

Anyways the latest was that it would be late summer. September 15 is still late summer. Mind you and all the other nay sayers, that these are dates that people heard about not anything solid from the company so they might change again. Based on the companies history and the amount of resources invested so far I still think it will be a GO no matter how many delays and set backs and will think this until officially scrapped.

How bout this if this goes through you and all the nay sayers can buy the rest of us drinks at the HOB at the Houston Pavilions. If it doesn't we will buy yall drinks at the HOB at the Houston Pavilions ;)

HA! I'm not worried at all...at least not yet. Something this big is going to have setbacks, and I would rather them take the time to get it right, as opposed to rushing things and ending up with a half hearted result.

Edited by brijonmang
  • Like 1

I bet you this project won't even start on September 15th. How much y'all wanna bet? I'm taking bets now!

Doesn't matter what date the Pavillions will start construction to me. All that matters is that we have a reliable source on HAIF letting us know that Pavillions will officially become a reality :)

When will we know what other stores will reside in Pavillions?

There should be some press coming out soon about the project announcing fashion tenants and major attractions.

On another note, in the next few months we'll start to hear some REALLY interesting things being announced downtown. There seems to be some real momentum building. Downtown in the next year or two is looking like it'll really take off. We'll have to see but right now it's looking that way...

I bet you this project won't even start on September 15th. How much y'all wanna bet? I'm taking bets now!

ill bet you anything that pavilions will break ground within the next 12 months :P

problem is a deal of this size WILL have set-backs, regardless of who is behind it. they have momentum and more leases should be announced shortly (based upon sources i deem reliable).

ill bet you anything that pavilions will break ground within the next 12 months :P

problem is a deal of this size WILL have set-backs, regardless of who is behind it. they have momentum and more leases should be announced shortly (based upon sources i deem reliable).

Can you tell us what tenants are likely to be announced and when they will make their next announcement ?

You ever heard of the 24 drinking game? :lol: Everytime Bauer says "damn" or "dammit", you and your friends are supposed to drink a shot :lol: Just throwing that out there. Ah, DJ games :D

Back on subject, can anyone see a Barnes & Noble or Borders with extended hours at the Pavillions? It'd be nice to walk to a bookstore/coffee shop at 3:30am and read a book or hang out all night on a balcony or patio downtown with no alcohol involved. I'd DEFINATELY go there after a dj set, clubbing, or hanging out at House of Blues or Main Street. Do you think other Houstonians would also?

DJ V, where are you currently spinning? Any recommendations on downtown clubs that play house/trance? Been away from Houston for awhile, but used to love Hyperia....many memorable nights (or mornings) there. Shame it got shut down. We need another great "underground" venue like that.

• 2 weeks later...