GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I don't agree with this one bit, i think downtown should be open to all people to be a better place. It will also help draw in more activities for families as well. I think there should be some avenues that are open for teenagers, just not on main street. Maybe dedicate another street to family-filled oriented environments such as Ripleys, and other small tourist draws.

They already got one. It's called the Aquarium, and it is located on Bagby. Has a ferris wheel and everything.

As for kids before 9 pm, that won't hurt the adult nature of things. Adults don't often get out much earlier than that. Even so, families won't be piling in at 8:00 if they know that it's adults only at 9:00. Basically, the families will be gone once the baseball game starts at 7:00.

Why do we need to make downtown kid-friendly ? They already have enough places throughout the city to ruin. Is it really asking too much to keep downtown and the pavillions big-people only ?
They already got one. It's called the Aquarium, and it is located on Bagby. Has a ferris wheel and everything.

And the big kids have plenty of bars that are child-free. Something for everyone. :)

It just seems that the Pavillions will need a broad customer base and be seen as "family-friendly". I agree w/Red that children really aren't going to be a problem afer 9:00PM.

What they need downtown is a Ripley's/Wax museum

I've said for a while that the building just to the north of the Aquarium would be a good site for that type of thing. Obviously, no one has seriously persued it.

I like the idea of Lucky Strike. I have a cousin who lived in Denver until recently and he says the one there is cool.

The more important thing in this is that the Pavillions continues to pick up tenants and makes getting it off the ground that much more likely.

What do you think of this "coincidence"? TXCN was on and they said that Lucky Strikes might be going into the Dallas downtown area as well. Didn't this same thing happen right after they announced the Houston HOB?

KimberlySayWhat:

What they need downtown is a Ripley's/Wax museum

The Great Hizzy!:

I've said for a while that the building just to the north of the Aquarium would be a good site for that type of thing. Obviously, no one has seriously persued it.

I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm trying to picture it. I think putting it in some hole in the wall in an old building would add to the charm of it.

This is great! A bowling alley is perfect for downtown. What I don't understand is the "upscale" bit. What is it that makes it "upscale"? Are ties required? Is that just the usual marketing baloney?

I don't understand why it shouldn't be all ages until 9 or whatnot. If the Pavillions is going to be successful, it is best to have places to attract a wide variety of people. There's no reason kids shouldn't be downtown.

I think it's a great idea. Think of it this way - Lucky Strike is to upscale bowling what Slick Willies is to upscale billiards. Plus, bowling will always have a retro feel to it. So yes, marketing baloney;)

Edited by HeightsGuy

What do you think of this "coincidence"? TXCN was on and they said that Lucky Strikes might be going into the Dallas downtown area as well. Didn't this same thing happen right after they announced the Houston HOB was announced?

is it me or does it feel like Dallas is following us?

Sorry Mods but it had to be said! ;)

Sorry Mods but it had to be said! ;)

I don't think so. On some things yes, on others Houston is fallowing Dallas. And the same for cities across the nation. They see another city with something they don't have, they want it to. Its really a good thing, it keeps cities growing. Imagine if Houston didn't add new things how far behind it would be from other cities of its stature.

I don't think so. On some things yes, on others Houston is fallowing Dallas. And the same for cities across the nation. They see another city with something they don't have, they want it to. Its really a good thing, it keeps cities growing. Imagine if Houston didn't add new things how far behind it would be from other cities of its stature.

Good point Citykid

But you don't want every city to have the same thing. What if every city had a Disney, ESPN Zone, Time Square, or a Grand Central. Each city wouldn't be unique.

Something different between European and American cities.

But you don't want every city to have the same thing. What if every city had a Disney, ESPN Zone, Time Square, or a Grand Central. Each city wouldn't be unique.

Something different between European and American cities.

[/quote

If every city had a disney, i would be a ragging lush..............

KimberlySayWhat:

What do you think of this "coincidence"? TXCN was on and they said that Lucky Strikes might be going into the Dallas downtown area as well. Didn't this same thing happen right after they announced the Houston HOB was announced?

tierwestah:

Sorry Mods but it had to be said!

Yikes! I was just kidding! I figured since no one responded to that comment for several days, you all picked up on it.

Yikes! I was just kidding! I figured since no one responded to that comment for several days, you all picked up on it.

i see you like to play games Ms. "Nasa is relocating to Dallas!" :lol:

I don't think so. On some things yes, on others Houston is fallowing Dallas. And the same for cities across the nation.

like what? We sure ain't following suit with Dallas when it comes to rail!

Sure we are. Remember, we're ten years behind.

And, dog METRO all you want (not Tierwestah but to anyone who speaks of METRO's "incompetence") but every inch of rail we DO have was built without the help of the feds. METRO may have its issues, but they showed balls in defying Heir Delay, Heir Culberson and Heir Lanier by building a rail line anyway. And, although it's not a 100-mile network, it gets great ridership and the best bang-for-the-buck of any other rail line.

Minneapolis, which has a line that's a smidge smaller, gets just over half the ridership METRO gets. RTD, which is slighter more extensive, gets the same ridership per day. Our friends at DART, despite having six times the amount of rail, gets only about 56% more ridership.

So give METRO just a bit of a break. :)

Sure we are. Remember, we're ten years behind.

Hey Hizzy, were you saying this sarcastically? If not, how do you feel that we're 10 years behind ?

Oh and PS: I didn't mean to jump on METRO. I know they're doing all they can with what little resources they have. :)

Admit it. You just want rail becuase it's pretty.

PARTLY! but i really want rail because when i move back to Houston, i plan on abandoning my car with these high ass gas prices continuing to soar. I think buses are old fashioned and not as convienient as rail. i think if we had a designated thourough rail route, we can hit most major destinations of the city without having to take a car.

Sorry for the slight off- topic stuff folks now back to the topic. So Lucky Strike bowling. They used to make candy cigarettes too huh? j/k

I think buses are old fashioned and not as convienient as rail.

Actually, buses are typically more convenient in any city not named New York because they offer the commuter a greater chance of being dropped off "right at the door" of his/her destination of choice. Rail transit typically drops you off in the general vicinity.

But I agree with your other points. Rail cars are more spacious, more comfortable, quieter and travel from station to station at greater average speeds than do local buses from point A to point B, especially a busy bus route like the 2 Bellaire or 82 Westheimer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm new to the board but have been reading posts for the past several weeks. I am from California but lived in Houston for many years as I was growing up. I am now in CA again as an Urban Design consultant but still visit Houston several times a year. This is my first post. What is going on with this project? I am a little confused so far. Have they broken ground yet? This is just a rumor and please don't take it any other way but I hear that California Pizza Kitchen is interested. Is this project really going to go forward? It is hard to find reliable information on this project.

Hello

I'm new to the board but have been reading posts for the past several weeks. I am from California but lived in Houston for many years as I was growing up. I am now in CA again as an Urban Design consultant but still visit Houston several times a year. This is my first post. What is going on with this project? I am a little confused so far. Have they broken ground yet? This is just a rumor and please don't take it any other way but I hear that California Pizza Kitchen is interested. Is this project really going to go forward? It is hard to find reliable information on this project.

Welcome amsterdam. So far to my knowledge they haven't broken gound yet we were looking at a possible May groundbreaking but that seems like a slimmer chance every day. Some people have said it's not unusual for a date to be pushed back a few months. So I'm still optimistic. It appeared that some "soil samples" were taken not too long ago. So far the only two tenants on board is House of Blues (HOB) and Lucky Strike Bowling.

So far the only two tenants on board is House of Blues (HOB) and Lucky Strike Bowling.

the Texas minor emergency center and wellness clinic has also signed on as a tenant.

groundbreaking for the project is slated for this summer, with completion set for the fourth quarter of 2007.

source: houston business journal

Edited by elecpharm
  • Like 1