GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

As a new "part time" resident of downtown (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area), I'm excited about the addition of Houston Pavilions to the area. The House of Blues is a great start. Another possible tenant that might draw people to the project from outside of the downtown area would be an Apple Computer Store. Since I'm new to the Houston area, I'm not sure how many Apple stores are around, but I'm sure one in the HP would be well recieved by loyal Apple product owners. A California Pizza Kitchen might also work along with a 10 or more screen Edwards or AMC movie complex. A Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Barns and Noble or Borders Bookstore, Victoria Secret, Banana Republic, Gap might also be possibilities.

Whatever the mix of tenants, if the developers can convince 5% to 10% of the office worker population to spend time after work at HP on any given day, draw from the growing downtown resident population, draw from fans going to Minute Maid park or Toyota Center before or after events, visitors staying in the hotels downtown and attending conventions, they will have a project that will open alot of eyes. Add to that, residents of Houston from outside the downtown area that will patronize the project and it could be more successful than anyone imagined.

As a new "part time" resident of downtown (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area), I'm excited about the addition of Houston Pavilions to the area. The House of Blues is a great start. Another possible tenant that might draw people to the project from outside of the downtown area would be an Apple Computer Store. Since I'm new to the Houston area, I'm not sure how many Apple stores are around, but I'm sure one in the HP would be well recieved by loyal Apple product owners. A California Pizza Kitchen might also work along with a 10 or more screen Edwards or AMC movie complex. A Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Barns and Noble or Borders Bookstore, Victoria Secret, Banana Republic, Gap might also be possibilities.

Whatever the mix of tenants, if the developers can convince 5% to 10% of the office worker population to spend time after work at HP on any given day, draw from the growing downtown resident population, draw from fans going to Minute Maid park or Toyota Center before or after events, visitors staying in the hotels downtown and attending conventions, they will have a project that will open alot of eyes. Add to that, residents of Houston from outside the downtown area that will patronize the project and it could be more successful than anyone imagined.

Respectfully, I hope Houston Pavilions does so much more than to carve out a little slice of California-based retail in Downtown. We're already sufficiently stocked-up with all of those California-based brands you mention.

Respectfully, I hope Houston Pavilions does so much more than to carve out a little slice of California-based retail in Downtown. We're already sufficiently stocked-up with all of those California-based brands you mention.

You're right. My bad. But I am invested in Houston now. I am a new condo owner downtown. Its my home part time. But not being from Texas and being new to Houston, I was just throwing out some names that I am familiar with. I'll try not to make that mistake again :blush:

Houston Pavilions should not be a "little slice of California-based retail in Downtown", but represent Texas retail/entertainment with some national retail included. I still think an Apple Computer store would be a good addition because of its loyal customer base.

You're right. My bad. But I am invested in Houston now. I am a new condo owner downtown. Its my home part time. But not being from Texas and being new to Houston, I was just throwing out some names that I am familiar with. I'll try not to make that mistake again :blush:

Houston Pavilions should not be a "little slice of California-based retail in Downtown", but represent Texas retail/entertainment with some national retail included. I still think an Apple Computer store would be a good addition because of its loyal customer base.

Agreed on the Apple store. Our ONE in the Galleria is not convenient to people who hate malls. Plus, Apple pricing is set, just about anywhere you buy. So, why not buy from the "boutique" where you can find everything in stock?

My one caveat to them would be that Downtown is not exactly the center for Creative professions. Uptown is where all the ad agencies, design shops, photographers, etc. are. Downtown is corporate central, so the computer jazz they buy plugs into beige boxes.

Anyway, welcome to Houston -- part-time, or whatever. I hope you find this city as strangely appealing as I have for the past 17 years (minus a year and a half of temporary insanity spent in Dallas).

I remember how Memorial City Mall had a Rockets Shop (think it's still there. Someone please update me).

Wouldn't a Rockets,Astros,and/or Texans shop be ideal for H.Pavillions knowing that there's 2 stadiums within walking distance of the center? How 'bout a FIFA restaurant (none currently exist, but it would be smart) or a central place for soccer viewing? (Real Madrid is opening three theme parks. Why not a restaurant?) And once again, I'll say it again...ESPN ZONE is a must.

There's also a WWE restaurant in Times Square New York, and if I recall, the biggest event ever in the Astrodome attendance wise was Wrestlemania a few years back. Probably be a good investment for that corporation, knowing the amount of fans and wrestlers from the Houston area, and Texas in general.

My #1 one the wishlist is a Virgin Megastore.

RedScare:

Pig Stand on Washington at Sawyer. Good grease!

Is that the same one Shirley Maclaine frequented in the movie "The Evening Star"?
DJ V Lawrence:

Wouldn't a Rockets,Astros,and/or Texans shop be ideal for H.Pavillions knowing that there's 2 stadiums within walking distance of the center?

Great idea. Don't forget the Houston 1836 (love that name now!).

My #1 one the wishlist is a Virgin Megastore.

Love that, too!

Is that the same one Shirley Maclaine frequented in the movie "The Evening Star"?

Yes. The booth they used is marked so you could sit there if you feel the need...but anyplace in the PS is a great place to sit and eat delicious Cardiac on a Plate [my favorite] :lol:

B)

There is always IHOP. there is one on the I-10 off Washington, there is one in the Gulfgate, and there is one near Kirby and the 59.

That had slime in the ice machine, according to Marvin. :angry2:

And when it did you could totally see the pressure being put on the Kroger on West Gray. Within weeks the customer service people became real bitchy and the quality of the food and the ammount of items on the shelves all took a nosedive, I think because so many people from Montrose, downtown, and Midtown went to the new store which was shiny, clean, nice, friendly, and had a Starbucks upstairs. That Kroger really went to Hell quickly and I stopped shopping there in fairly short order when they started having problems getting in basic items and it got dirty. Nothing bothers me more than a dirty food store. I know supermarkets operate on razor thin profit margins, so I assume that the manager had a hard time getting in new stuff when all of his customers fled.

The Krogers in the River Oaks Shopping Center? Or is there one closer to Downtown on West Gray? Because the on in the ROSC is really beautiful, and really nice. And there is 2 Starbucks next to each other. ;)

I think Wayne's talking about the Kroger's on Montrose just south of Westheimer. Then again, maybe not.

I agree, though, that the Krogers in ROSC is very nice. I just wish they did a better job of lumping items together. Of course, they're not the only location that has a bit of a problem with this.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I say who ever has the money and the smarts to open a Waffle House in the Montrose, Downtown, Midtown, Rice Military and all over inside the 610. They would make bank!

There is always IHOP. there is one on the I-10 off Washington, there is one in the Gulfgate, and there is one near Kirby and the 59.

This is a stupid question, but bare with me. I haven't been to Houston since Super Bowl '04 and return for good in 2 months. Is there a Denny's or IHOP downtown? Because if not, I think it would be a perfect restaurant in either Houston Pavillions or The Shops. If not those, a restaurant like that that's opened 24 hours. It can be designed in a classy downtown style as well. I remember checking out McDonalds Downtown and saying "wow, this is McDonalds?"

As a whole, I really want to see each fast-food joint become two-story restaurants, and think if any are built at Houston Pavillions, it should be just that. They look more urbanized, are usually designed more sleak, and have an upscale feel. There are many international fast-food joints designed that way (especially here in Korea), and not many stateside like that. Downtown would be the perfect place to have that different architectural design. (Fast food joints are usually not the first place U look for in terms of design and first-class. If they pull it off, as some already have Downtown, it makes that whole area look so much better).

Darn tootin'.

Last weekend a fellow HAIFer and I were talking with a demolition worker at the Penn Hotel. He asked where the closest place was to get a bite to eat (at 12:30am on a Sunday morning). And even though we're both chock full of HAIFiness, neither of us could come up with a good answer. (uh...House of Pies on Kirby?)

yup yup...i felt so helpless

and then i felt so hungry :(

heh

there needs to be something...and i am not talking about something like the "Just a Dollar Budget Food Store" - that place is...well, you know...

i think the closest things open were non-restaurants (the texaco on dowling and jefferson, and the walgreen's on west gray and woodhead).

if houston pavilions could house a 24hr or late-ish open coffee shop, that'd be awesome

Edited by sevfiv

yup yup...i felt so helpless

and then i felt so hungry :(

heh

there needs to be something...and i am not talking about something like the "Just a Dollar Budget Food Store" - that place is...well, you know...

i think the closest things open were non-restaurants (the texaco on dowling and jefferson, and the walgreen's on west gray and woodhead).

if houston pavilions could house a 24hr or late-ish open coffee shop, that'd be awesome

Put a Denny's in the New West Building. That would fit the mold perfectly...and upgrade the building.

Put a Denny's in the New West Building. That would fit the mold perfectly...and upgrade the building.

Great idea.

Another thing I'm really curious about is exactly how much the Houston Pavillions is planning to work with The Shops with retail projects. If they worked together on a single powerhouse retail/entertainment project, think of the possibilities. I think The Shops could especially benefit with Houston Pavillions' promoters

Either way, there is not a need for another fitness club downtown in my opinion. I work out at Larry North and it is not crowded - busy sometimes, but never "packed". There are quite a few options as is between the Y, Larry North, Houstonian Lite, some other one on main, the Houstonian Club I think its called (whichever one has tennis courts), and then the immediate surrounding area that includes FIT. A 24 hour fitness would only be accomodating those that already have a member ship there and use the excuse "if there was one near work, I'd go during lunch" uh, no they wouldn't. its just an excuse.

Denny's only works on weekends/ late nights in my opinion. You can get a million other options in the tunnels on weekdays and for probably cheaper. If I'm starving when I get to work, I can go straight down and get 2 eggs, toast, and sausauge for $2.50. I'm not going to hike to Denny's for that and pay more while I'm allegedly working. On weekends, late night - probably.

Either way, there is not a need for another fitness club downtown in my opinion. I work out at Larry North and it is not crowded - busy sometimes, but never "packed". There are quite a few options as is between the Y, Larry North, Houstonian Lite, some other one on main, the Houstonian Club I think its called (whichever one has tennis courts), and then the immediate surrounding area that includes FIT. A 24 hour fitness would only be accomodating those that already have a member ship there and use the excuse "if there was one near work, I'd go during lunch" uh, no they wouldn't. its just an excuse.

Denny's only works on weekends/ late nights in my opinion. You can get a million other options in the tunnels on weekdays and for probably cheaper. If I'm starving when I get to work, I can go straight down and get 2 eggs, toast, and sausauge for $2.50. I'm not going to hike to Denny's for that and pay more while I'm allegedly working. On weekends, late night - probably.

The Houstonian is off of 610. Unless they have a secret place I don't know about.

I hope they have some 24 hour coffee shops, or perhaps a fancy "diner".

(BTW: This Thread's Post Count passed up the JP Morgan Chase Tower! :P:rolleyes: )

Easy, Semipro,

People want the greatest for downtown Houston and sometimes when you're striving for the greatest, you underappreciate what's already there.

That said, I agree that there's only so much in the way of fitness centers you want to have at this point. Let it all develop over time and then you'll be able to drop retail locations off with a blindfold and feel good about your chances.

Ancient Rome, a city of less than 300,000 at its greatest, wasn't built in a day. Certainly you shouldn't expect a newer city with an even greater population to be all sorted out so soon, wouldya? ;)

Dang! All I hear about Houston suck in this and that. The Texans sucks, the Rockets sucks. What do Houston have that don't suck? If downtown suck this bad, how would the Pavilions going make an impact?

I would respond to this, but I don't even know what it means...except for the part about the Texans and Rockets.

I would respond to this, but I don't even know what it means...except for the part about the Texans and Rockets.

I think Semi just wanted to add in the thread how much Houstons sucks, when Houston sucking hasn't even been mentioned in this thread. Poor Semi.

And eelimon, I don't think he said the gym sucks, I think he said the gym sucks all of the business out of downtown.

Edited by Talbot

Dang! All I hear about Houston suck in this and that. The Texans sucks, the Rockets sucks. What do Houston have that don't suck? If downtown suck this bad, how would the Pavilions going make an impact?

...and last but not least, your grammer sucks. :lol:

B)

Please!! For a city of over 2 million people in over 500 square miles you need more than 1 or two major shopping areas. No wonder people drive everywhere. The stores that were mentioned like Williams/Sonoma, Potter Barn and others would be absolutely great for DOWNTOWN. People love to shop. Maybe shopping districts around the world are all the same. Tokyo, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Vancouver, Sydney and so on. They are all different from Houston because downtown Houston for shoppping sucks. San Francisco's Union Square, Chicago's Magnificent Mile are two of my favorite. The reality is people love Louis Vitton, Ralph Lauren, Restoration Hardware, Eileen Fisher, Bergdorf Goodman, Burberry and others. And so what if some of the stores mentioned are in the Galleria. Hell even Seattle has two Coach stores with 3 blocks of each other. The reality is if you want people to come downtown, big name retail is the key. Not Payless, Dress Barn or Spencer Gifts either. Not all chains but lots.