GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

...in all it's proposed glory.

:lol:

I don't know why, but this phrase just strikes me as funny.

You're right, though. HOB may not get Houston on the entertainment shows, but it still is known to put on a good show. And, it is unique to Houston, which will make it a draw for Downtown. Here's hoping the rest of the Pavillions lineup shows more of the same.

You're right, though. HOB may not get Houston on the entertainment shows, but it still is known to put on a good show. And, it is unique to Houston, which will make it a draw for Downtown. Here's hoping the rest of the Pavillions lineup shows more of the same.

Amen to that, RedScare! Preach, brotha! Preach!! :)

I never said that there was a HOB in time square.

HOB, ESPN zone, Nike Store...etc, all of these types of stores,venues are great at first. Over time they end up being only tourist destinations and otherwise ghetto clientele. If you have been to Time Square you MAY know what I mean, or other cities with such establishments. How many locals frequent Hard Rock Cafe here in Houston? But if you want to read more dastardly inuendos into my post you may not be able to recognize this.

In response to redscare...Houston is in my opinion much better than life in the Garden State. Unforunately, Houston is a bit similar in some respects to life in Northern NJ...crazy drivers-but in NJ it is not personal on the road whereas in Houston it can be a blow to ones ego to have someone pass them. Most service oriented establishments TEND to have a very low class workforce. This sadly tends to be the case in Much of the Eastern and southern U.S....not JUST Houston or NJ. The general population in both Houston and NJ tend to be a bit surly and have a bit of a tude. Both also react with great hostility to ANY critique/comment that they deem negative about where they live.

HOB, ESPN zone, Nike Store...etc, all of these types of stores,venues are great at first. Over time they end up being only tourist destinations and otherwise ghetto clientele. If you have been to Time Square you MAY know what I mean, or other cities with such establishments. How many locals frequent Hard Rock Cafe here in Houston? But if you want to read more dastardly inuendos into my post you may not be able to recognize this.

In response to redscare...Houston is in my opinion much better than life in the Garden State. Unforunately, Houston is a bit similar in some respects to life in Northern NJ...crazy drivers-but in NJ it is not personal on the road whereas in Houston it can be a blow to ones ego to have someone pass them. Most service oriented establishments TEND to have a very low class workforce. This sadly tends to be the case in Much of the Eastern and southern U.S....not JUST Houston or NJ. The general population in both Houston and NJ tend to be a bit surly and have a bit of a tude. Both also react with great hostility to ANY critique/comment that they deem negative about where they live.

Nice try, MiDTOWNeR.

Yeah because right now the biggest problem to Houston's downtown is too many people, just like times square. I mean, I think i get pushed off the sidewalks daily around here.

I agree those type of stores/ venues are not the type to make it easy for people to live downtown - you don't exactly need to go to the Nike town store everyday. However, you have to start somewhere and getting people to visit downtown is not going to happen with a Gap. For people that live downtown - they probably just want more bodega/ eatzi type places and eventually some more soft retail that is open on weekends - such as a bookstore. Obviously the bars are already there.

Midtowner,

You know, I saw this city on TV where the traffic was uncongested, the locals were friendly, service came with a smile...no hostility or attitude at all. And they have great entertainment. Maybe you'd like it.

Here's a pic.

griffith_white.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: Now that is freaking funny!

MiDTOWNeR seems to have no clue what he/she is talking about. "Ghetto people" in Times Square? About the only thing I saw ghetto in Times Square last year was that damn singing cowboy in his underwear.

I remember seeing that guy on Main when the Super Bowl was in town. At least, we saw 'a' guy walking around in a cowboy hat and whitie-tighties.

I wish there would be news coming out soon on Boulevard Place, a project that seems to have dropped off the face of the planet, I haven't heard anything about it in awhile, I'd like to know what big stores they plan on having to draw people in. I'm sure it would be something upscale where they check your credit before you can enter, like Prada or something.

i wouldn't say it totally dropped off the face of the earth but at least there's a website, i just wish it had more information though.

http://www.wulfe.com/BoulevardPlace.asp

HOB, ESPN zone, Nike Store...etc, all of these types of stores,venues are great at first. Over time they end up being only tourist destinations and otherwise ghetto clientele.

:lol::lol::lol:

Of COURSE they end up being tourist destinations. THAT'S THE POINT!!! :lol:

Nice try, MiDTOWNeR.

What was a nice try?

MiDTOWNeR seems to have no clue what he/she is talking about. "Ghetto people" in Times Square? About the only thing I saw ghetto in Times Square last year was that damn singing cowboy in his underwear.

The singing cowboy in his underwear is not "ghetto"

:lol::lol::lol:

Of COURSE they end up being tourist destinations. THAT'S THE POINT!!! :lol:

Part of the point, but once it becomes where the locals do not frequent the establishments whatsoever, they cannot stay in business. Tourism alone in Houston will not support establishments of this nature.

Midtowner,

You know, I saw this city on TV where the traffic was uncongested, the locals were friendly, service came with a smile...no hostility or attitude at all. And they have great entertainment. Maybe you'd like it.

Here's a pic.

griffith_white.jpg

Although your post and pic is funny, it is a bit of a stretch from what I have posted. There are big cities where -in general- the locals are friendly, and service is not full of attitude. And there are MANY places where drivers -in general- are much better and adhere to more norms that result in better traffic flow and a better overall experience on the freeway. I am not holding Houston to impossible standards. But so long as people who "seem" to be so up in arms over my posts dont take a deep breath and a moment to realize that Houston has room for improvement, Houston will never see that improvement.

I have lived in many places, and leave Houston and Texas on a regular basis. I certainly do not have my finger on the hearbeat of all big cities in America nor pretend to be an expert by any means but I do have some room to talk.

BTW redscare...if the railroad is so important to the city of Houston...why not a better infrastructure to support such an important part of the city?

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

I somewhat agree with MiDTOWNeR. It is just that if someone is critical or critiques the city that usually means the city can go straight to hell. Not true.

Although I am looking forward to House of Blues, I hope it does not become a "tourist trap" business like Hard Rock. Although I cannot say I have met any "ghetto" people there.

Edited by WesternGulf

you are using that term "ghetto" again. if you dont want one to assume a "dastardly inuendo", please elaborate by what you mean.

I'm curious what the intended definition of "ghetto" is too.

Midtowner seems to be dancing around that one.

And as for his/her depiction of Houstonians as surly and unfriendly, I don't see it. Maybe I'm just not as well-traveled... <_<

Everyone knows what the common usage for 'ghetto' is. Frankly, I think this is a 'wink-wink' post, but if you confront the definition, he denies it.

I don't get what traffic, rail lines, restaurant service and attitude have to do with the viability of HOB and some of the other retailers mentioned. I have to say Midtowner, based on your posts, if you find Houstonians to be surly and rude, it may be because they are returning the favor. Most every article and remark I read about Houstonians finds them to be amongst the friendliest of the big cities, not surliest.

But, hey, I don't walk in your shoes. Maybe in your neck of the woods, the locals ARE as*holes. They just aren't in mine.

And as for his/her depiction of Houstonians as surly and unfriendly, I don't see it. Maybe I'm just not as well-traveled... <_<

But you have to admit the "in Houston it can be a blow to ones ego to have someone pass them."

Edited by WesternGulf