GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

1. I, too, am very excited about the project. 100% behind it, BUT...

2. Am I the only one who thinks that it's incredibly ugly? I mean...I think that it's just absolutely boring and not in the least big pretty or exciting. It's a bunch of white blocks and rectangles. It doesn't look the least bit imaginative.

3. It looks like it belongs in Miami or L.A. - not Houston, Texas. Just like the Federal Reserve Bank might make sense in New Mexico or Phoenix, but it's absolutely atrocious on Allen Parkway.

4. We need architecture that looks like it belongs in Houston - like the new Harris County Civil Courthouse - not more bad architecture like the Federal Reserve Bank and The Hobby Center.

To recap:

YAY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT!

BOO TO THE DESIGN AND THE ARCHITECTS!

I'm surprised no one posted this article from today's Wall Street Journal (or did they?).

Houston Project Invests in Downtown Retailing

By THADDEUS HERRICK

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

January 25, 2006; Page B8

HOUSTON -- For the past decade, as this city has invested heavily in its downtown, one element has been missing: retail.

Now a $200 million project spearheaded by two veteran developers promises to transform three city blocks into an open-air shopping-and-entertainment mall, complete with offices and condominiums. When it opens in 2007, economic-development officials say, the project could draw enough of a critical mass to reinvigorate downtown.

Houston Pavilions LP, a joint venture led by Geoffrey Jones and William Denton, is expected today to announce House of Blues Entertainment Inc. as its first major tenant. The roots-based live music outfit, which operates in a handful of other U.S. cities, will feature a performance hall, restaurant and retail shop, totaling 43,000 square feet.

Mr. Jones and Mr. Denton have yet to name other retail tenants for the nearly 700,000-square-foot project, about half of which will be retail space. They say they are securing financing for construction but have an adequate number of agreements with retail clients to move ahead.

The Pavilions project underscores a growing push by developers into heartland downtowns, many of which are seeing a sort of renaissance after being rendered nearly lifeless for decades by the automobile, highways and cheap suburban land. In Houston, the oil crash of the 1980s exacerbated the demise of the city's downtown.

Houston Pavilions boasts an enviable location, between the newly revitalized Main Street on one side and the George R. Brown Convention Center on the other. It would also occupy a space near Foley's, a downtown department store, and a mall of about 200,000 square feet called The Shops at Houston Center, creating something of a retail district. In addition to the retail space, plans include a 134,000-square-foot condominium tower and 200,000 square feet of loft-office space.

The project isn't without risks. Mr. Jones and Mr. Denton are betting they can attract Houstonians who already have an array of shopping and entertainment options, most notably in the Galleria area west of downtown. Perhaps more significantly, they are counting on locals to choose an outdoor urban experience instead of the indoor suburban sort.

"The question is whether Houstonians will come downtown," says Bob Eury, president of Central Houston Inc., an urban-planning and economic-development group, who nonetheless calls the project a "turning point for the evolution of downtown."

The Houston project is particularly noteworthy because, in a city that is among the most automobile-dependent in the country, it is being built alongside a light-rail line.

"Cities are changing," says Mr. Denton. "It's a great backdrop for this development."

Using a similar playbook, Mr. Denton developed Denver Pavilions, an outdoor mall that opened in 1998 in downtown Denver. Officials there say the project has been a considerable success.

While the Houston project is expected to attract locals from around the city and conventioneers, development officials say Houston Pavilions could also tap into the downtown residential market. In fact, they see retail development as a way to boost the number of people who live downtown from 3,700 to 10,000, a number they contend could launch a self-propelling economy.

Still, Messrs. Jones and Denton face challenges. They are adding more office and residential space at a time when Houston is still recovering from a crash in its energy-trading industry. Downtown office occupancy is at only 80%, and some of the city's newly renovated downtown residential lofts are struggling to find takers.

But the developers intend to capitalize on $4 billion of investment in downtown Houston in the past decade, during which the city has added a baseball stadium for the Major League Baseball Astros and an arena for its National Basketball Association Rockets as well as the $324 million 7.5-mile light-rail line.

Houston Pavilions bought the downtown land late last year for $21 million from Central Parking Corp. of Nashville, Tenn. Investment partners include BlackRock Realty Tower Fund and Houston Catalyst LP.

Mr. Denton, chief executive of Entertainment Development Group Inc., and Mr. Jones, chief executive of the Texas Real Estate Fund, have developed a number of Houston-area residential and commercial projects. For the Pavilions, they won considerable concessions from Houston and Harris County, including an $8.8 million development grant from the city and $4.4 million from the county. Local officials also redrew the boundaries of a tax increment reinvestment zone to include the project.

4. We need architecture that looks like it belongs in Houston - like the new Harris County Civil Courthouse - not more bad architecture like the Federal Reserve Bank and The Hobby Center.

The renderings of Houston Pavilions I've seen don't really look like distinguished pieces of architecture, but I think we're on the wrong track if we're declaring tripe like the new Civil Courthouse "architecture that looks like it belongs in Houston." Unfortunately, the new courthouse does look like it belongs in Houston -- which means it looks like a really tall strip mall.

To me, unique, landmark architecture like the Hobby Center is the way to go. Not everyone will like it, but everyone will remember it. So I hope HP will at least be somewhat interesting, not a warmed-over pastiche of things we've torn down.

2. Am I the only one who thinks that it's incredibly ugly? I mean...I think that it's just absolutely boring and not in the least big pretty or exciting. It's a bunch of white blocks and rectangles. It doesn't look the least bit imaginative.

It's not going to stay white, that was just for purposes of showing the shape of the buildings.

4. We need architecture that looks like it belongs in Houston - like the new Harris County Civil Courthouse -

HUH? :wacko: That has all the imagination of a cardboard box. It's not even a good copy of bad architecture.

B)

Edited by nmainguy

1. I, too, am very excited about the project. 100% behind it, BUT...

3. It looks like it belongs in Miami or L.A. - not Houston, Texas. Just like the Federal Reserve Bank might make sense in New Mexico or Phoenix, but it's absolutely atrocious on Allen Parkway.

To recap:

YAY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT!

BOO TO THE DESIGN AND THE ARCHITECTS!

Dude, the Harris County Courthouse looks wretched. (NMAINGUY is MAD right on that one). The Courthouse is a HORRIBLE example to choose when describing what Houston architecture should look like. And the Hobby Center is a respectable structure in my eyes. What exactly do you not like about Hobby Center's design, and what concept you think the Pavillions should have taken design wise (curiousity)

(Note:The Houston Pavillion will have COLOR in it. The all-white rendering was to show what the building shapes might be. Maybe you only saw that one rendering on tv.)

I think this is great for downtown. Right now I live downtown, but I don't really shop downtown (Randall's and CVS are the only shops I goto and Foley's on occasion, only cause I live next door).

Only one bad thing about this. They are building it right next door to me :blink::huh::huh: Hopefully they won't be doing construction late at night.

BUT ITS AWESOME its on its way.

ALSO note, it looks like they are almost finished with the last part of BAYOU PLACE Downtown. Should bee seeing new stores over there soon as well.

Can't wait for an AMC to come downtown. :rolleyes:

I am a little hyped about the whole Pavillions project now. All 3 news stations were talking about it last night. What cracks me up is that this forum always seems to "SCOOP" those same news guys about any kind of news concerning Houston. Way to go folks. Let's keep it up.

I think this is great for downtown. Right now I live downtown, but I don't really shop downtown (Randall's and CVS are the only shops I goto and Foley's on occasion, only cause I live next door).

Only one bad thing about this. They are building it right next door to me :blink::huh::huh: Hopefully they won't be doing construction late at night.

BUT ITS AWESOME its on its way.

ALSO note, it looks like they are almost finished with the last part of BAYOU PLACE Downtown. Should bee seeing new stores over there soon as well.

Can't wait for an AMC to come downtown. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize how much was missing downtown until I came on HAIF. Never even thought of the fact that there's no movie theatre or Randalls downtown. Kinda difficult to promote an urban environment downtown when you gotta do OUT for esentials. I hope both become available there at least with Houston Pavilions on the way.

Espn Zone: I do hope they are next.

For some reason everyone thinks that the Angelika doesn't count because it doesn't show things like Big Momma's House 2 or the newest big budget films. It shows more indie or dramatic movies, which I think is nice for a downtown setting, especially with where it is in relation to the theatre district. However, I think there might be room like 5 years from now for another theatre of about 12 screens to show the more mainsteam movies.

ESPN zone wouldn't be bad, I don't really like their food and its pricey, but it would fit in with a house of blues and also would be a great pre game place. The one in DC is close to the MCI center and gets a good push during game days. The toughest thing I think will be not replicating the Galleria stores and as the articles have all said, bringing in business on non work days/ hours - House of Blues will and probably an ESPN zone would too.

The Randalls in midtown is not that far (although i think it sucks) but its also hard to justify an entire supermarket in downtown until more people actually live in downtown. 3K residents is not going to do it.

I don't like to usually count the chickens before they hatch, since there's been no groundbreaking yet - but it would be interesting to go back through the 18 pages of this thread and pull out all the naysayers about this project. 2007-2008 should be a great time for downtown, sort of the next step in the evolution that we've seen over the last few years. by that point the park downtown should be done, Pavilions will open, the Sakowitz building will probably have retail as well. It should be good.

Angelika really isn't a movie theater that I grew up with. I need my AMC 24 or 30.

Angelika plays maybe 2 of the mainstream movies, the rest of their films are Inde's. Not to mention their screen sizes are not even comparable to AMC's.

Page 19. Damn :)

What would U think of an Edwards Cinema at H. Pavillions? Or at least a theatre so highclass, that major movie premiers happened there bi-annually?

Well, there's one MAJOR difference between those renderings and the plans just announced; one less tower.

From what the HBJ had to say, the eastern most block will house the multi-story House of Blues and retail. The middle block will house the loft office space in 11 floors above the 3 floors of retail. The offices will feature 13 and a half foot ceiling heights, exposed duct work, and concrete floors. The emergency clinic leased space here. The block closest to Main will house the 12 floor condo tower, and I am assuming that would also be over the 3 floors of retail.

in short, it seems as if all three blocks will have 3 floors of retail but only two will have hi-rise towers (14 floor office and 15 floor condo)

The HOB in Dallas was announced in the original plans for Victory (around 2000). After Palladium dropped out, the entire Victory master plan was scrapped, including the tenant list (included ESPN Zone). The Victory as is being built today has no plans for a HOB. There are rumors that they are looking for a place in Dallas and the rumor is it will be near the Southside on Lamar lofts and Gilley's (why can't they come up with their own stuff?). The dark horse location is Deep Ellum which has fallen on hard times. http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues/2006-...ws/feature.html

You never saw these images in this thread?

Pavilions22.jpg

Pavilions12.jpg

HoustonPavilions2.jpg

HoustonPavilions1.jpg

aa1qs.jpg

aa28ej.jpg

Not all of them, I don't think. I guess I thought I was missing out on something since people began to complain about it.

Thanks though. For what it is worth (2 cents), I think the project looks great--the more trees and places for people to chill out and people watch, the better.