GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

BTW, I was the one who said that they closed, and that piece of information came from an O'conner retail report.  Ill try to find out from another source if it is in fact true or if O'connor jumped the gun.

so did o'connor have a premature ejacu... i mean did he speak too soon? ;) also, do you know what the dirt traded for?

I just found sometimes out. If Crescent Real Estate Equities(also the owner of bayou place) is in on this project, Pavillion at Houston Center that means it will never get built. For one, Crescent mention PHASE II on the bayou place, did it happen? No. It's been what, 2-3 years now since they talked about PHASE II of bayou place. This will be another bomber to downtown's vibrant entertainment sencery.

I just found sometimes out. If Crescent Real Estate Equities(also the owner of bayou place) is in on this project, Pavillion at Houston Center that means it will never get built. For one, Crescent mention PHASE II on the bayou place, did it happen? No. It's been what, 2-3 years now since they talked about PHASE II of bayou place. This will be another bomber to downtown's vibrant entertainment sencery.

If they screw up again, they should be banned from operating in Houston!

There seems to be a lot of confusion here, once again. Several years ago, Crescent Real Estate Equities, which owns Houston Center, including the Shops at Houston Center (formerly the Park Shops) talked about developing some more retail attached to or in conjunction with the Shops at Houston Center. They talked about an outdoor pavilion type of development. I presume that is what the Pavilion at Houston Center rendering are from. (Hence the name "Pavilion at Houston Center") This was to have gone on several of the blocks directly east of the Shops at Houston Center, and I think Crescent has since sold all or most of that land to other developers and/or to the City for the new park.

The Main at Polk proposal is a different proposal, by different developers for a different parcel (or parcels) of land and has been in the news much more recently. Hopefully, these guys who did the Denver Pavilion can pull a similar project off in Downtown Houston. When I was last in Dowtntown Denver, I could see a lot of similarity with downtown Houston, but Denver is probably at least five years ahead of Houston in retail development. But I don't see any reason why it should work in downtown Denver but not in downtown Houston. In any event, I don't believe we have any reason to think that Crescent Real Estate is involved in the Main at Polk project.

• Like 1

This project will not get off ground. I mean look at this waterfront they was going to build by the bufflao bayou. Did it happen? No. Bayou Place Phase II? No. Shamrock? No. More retail on main street? No. I see more resturants popping up more, which it is still great news for main street. And what happen to the old hardy rail yard pose to be a mixed use project? Another, No. Count them, 1,2,3,4. Four No's for undeveloped projects in downtown.

In the hardy project, they are fighting the residents nearby, and I think they have already started cleaning the place up.

The Buffalo Bayou Plan is a very long-term visionary plan, bits and pieces of which are being accomplished every year. I doubt if anyone really anticipates every bit of it to be accomplished, and certainly what is done is planned to be done over a period of at least 20 years. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just because a particular project hasn't happened really has very little bearing on whether another by an unrelated developer is likely to happen. And, gosh, Semipro cited FOUR development projects that haven't happened in downtown. How many development projects HAVE happened downtown in the last 5-10 years?

Light rail line

MinuteMaid Park

Toyota Center

Hilton Americas

GRB expansion

Cotswold project

two new Harris County courthouses

5 Houston Center

New ChevronTexaco Tower

1000 Main

Calpine Center

Hobby Center

Magnolia Hotel

Sam Houston Hotel

Hotel Icon

Courtyard Hotel/Residence Inn

Club Quarters Hotel

Downtown Aquarium

Bayou Place I, first and second phases

Bayou Lofts

Keystone Lofts

Commerce Towers

I could go on, but I think you get the idea...

• Like 1

Yes, I do understand downtown has accomplished alot over a 5 year period. But do you think downtown needs more entertainment? Even the smaller cities have more entertainment in their downtown. For example, Denver. Denver is a small city, and look what happen to downtown, it's vibrant now. Look at these other small cities. Just imagine we had their entertainment centers, their venue, downtown would be packed every single day, I know I would be down there. Matter in fact, I crazy about downtown now, cause it came long ways to be nothing to something.

I agree with you Houston19514 on the progress downtown has made, and I guess you'll right that Rome wasn't built in a day. I guess I want things to happen rapidly when I see other cities building these entertainment facilies, and Houston can not. But time will tell, and when that time comes, Houston will preveil.

• 2 weeks later...

Crescent does not own the Bayou Place and never has. Concering the pavillion, all the land around Houston Center was sold by Crescent to the city to build a big part. The Pavillion idea is DEAD. Trust me !!

Crescent does not own the Bayou Place and never has.    Concering the pavillion, all the land around Houston Center was sold by Crescent to the city to build a big part.  The Pavillion idea is DEAD.    Trust me !!

Build a big Park. Sorry.

BTW, everyone seems to forget about the Park Shops (Houston Center). There is a pretty large enclosed mall in downtown and noboby seems to mention it when they are baulking about downtown having zero retail. I think the Main & Polk project would be great, but it is hard to make a bold move when the Park Shops have struggled for so long.

Off topic, but the new Strip House steak house in houston Center is awesome. Give it a try. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Build a big Park.  Sorry. 

BTW,  everyone seems to forget about the Park Shops (Houston Center).  There is a pretty large enclosed mall in downtown and noboby seems to mention it when they are baulking about downtown having zero retail.    I think the Main & Polk project would be great, but it is hard to make a bold move when the Park Shops have struggled for so long. 

Off topic,  but the new Strip House steak house in houston Center is awesome.  Give it a try.  A bit pricey, but worth it.

I don't exactly see Dress Barn being the type of retail that people venture downtown for.

The Park Shops are terrible. No one wants to battle traffic to go downtown so they can shop at a depressing, outdated mediocre mall. The whole point of downtown retail is to get away from the mall. It's all about the street. Cute little shops, outdoor dining, a little breeze are all why people want to shop in a downtown environment. In my opinion the owners of the Park Shops should convert the whole thing into a megaplex movie theater. It's already enclosed, let's take advantage of that....

The Park Shops are terrible. No one wants to battle traffic to go downtown so they can shop at a depressing, outdated mediocre mall. The whole point of downtown retail is to get away from the mall. It's all about the street. Cute little shops, outdoor dining, a little breeze are all why people want to shop in a downtown environment. In my opinion the owners of the Park Shops should convert the whole thing into a megaplex movie theater. It's already enclosed, let's take advantage of that....

The problem is that everyone on this board has these grand plans, but no clue about the amount of money and time these sort of changes take. Not to mention the risk that those involved take.

Change the park shops into a megaplex? Come on. There is the Angelica right across downtown and it does not pull in that much traffic. Why would you even suggest that. As for street level retail, who is that going to attract? I am all for street level retail areas like the Village, River Oaks Shopping Center, Town and Country (not the former enclosed mall) and the shopping along Westhiemer and Weslayan (I can not remember the name of that area)

The Park Shops offer an ammentity to the whole of Houston Center. They were developed nearly 2 decades ago (when the Real Estate Market was hopping I might add.) They are currently going through renovations and trust me when I say that the owners are making every effort possible to make them work. But leveling the building or completley changing the entire scope is not only cost prohibitive, but virtually impossible in the short term.

thanks for the reality check. remember that we have all ages represented here and quite a few dreamers (me included). personally, i enjoy hearing about the "nuts and bolts" of things, especially when it involves architecture, real estate and development, construction, etc. so, if you're in the know about things like that "spill". but, go easy on the youngsters and dreamers please.

Angelica Theater sucks! It's only what 5-6 screen theater? They don't even show all the major movies there. They show indie movies, and 1-2 major movies, come on. I agree they should have a 20-24 screen megaplex theater downtown. The Park Shops might work, but I doubt they will turn it into a theater, but who knows.

Angelica Theater sucks! It's only what 5-6 screen theater? They don't even show all the major movies there. They show indie movies, and 1-2 major movies, come on. I agree they should have a 20-24 screen megaplex theater downtown. The Park Shops might work, but I doubt they will turn it into a theater, but who knows.

Angelica might suck to the person who is more interested in the mainstream pics that tend to show at the 20-24 types of large facilities...however, to those like me, who enjoy the independent genre, it's a great place.

20-24 theaters is more of a suburban concept and i question it's feasability (financially) in a downtown type of price market. It's easier to throw up 24 screens on the outskirts of town than it is to do it downtown.