GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I can understand that-being the owner of two absolutly bizarre cats. BTW, how do you edit a post?

B)

I thought everyone can edit their own post. I thought.

I also installed Google toolbar on my Mozilla FireFox browser it has a spell check.

There are two options a quick edit and a full edit. I use either one.

Edited by eelimon

party pooper ;)

i hope he's wrong but i think he's telling a truth about the way Houston has handled their business in the past. Things of this magnitude never get off the ground in Houston and Houston has not proven to be forward thinking enough in the last 10 years to make something like this a realty. Be that as it may, it said they were supposed to break ground this fall. Fall just started at the end of September so we got at least another 2 or 3 months left to see some progress (for it to be on schedule).

Edited by tierwestah

Can you tell me exactly who or what you mean when you say "Houston".

I don't get your point.

You can't be for real. Are you serious? You can't see my point and look back on how many projects in Houston have failed in the past? Major things like this rarely happen. No i'm not saying that the city should soley foot the bill but i've sort of lost a litle hope when it comes to things like this. First the project gets funds to get it started, then there's delays, then it ends up being stalled, then there's nothing. Look at Shamrock?

I'm trying to be positive on this one to say this is showing better signs of becoming a reality and may be be a turnaround point for Houston in spite of it's past. It more than likely will to get rolling and thriving. But sometimes, i still can't help but be fearful that it won't go as smoothly as planned.

tierwestah said: "You can't be for real. Are you serious? You can't see my point and look back on how many projects in Houston have failed in the past? Major things like this rarely happen."

what about?

Reliant Stadium

Minute Made Park

Toyota Center

Cotswald Project

Bayou Place

All the infrastructure improvements to downtown.

Light Rail

These are enormous accomplishments that required many entities working together to bring each of these projects about. Development ebbs and flows. We are revving (sp?) up for another wave of development (IMHO). Of course, it may not be the kind of projects we hope for. Just because a development (or three) do not get off the ground does not mean that projects in general aren't going to pan out. Be patient and enjoy that ones that do get off the ground.

Not only did the City quickly vote on a TIRZ for those 3 blocks (which is somewhat unprecedented), the county and city kicked in another $16M for the project. If it doesn't get off the ground, it's not the City's fault.

The one thing that is lacking downtown at this point is incentives for residential projects. I personally believe the City should give incentives to projects that include affordable units. Downtown needs density and the best way to do that is building moderatly priced units. With the price per sq ft of the land, though, it's almost impossible without incentives.

Not only did the City quickly vote on a TIRZ for those 3 blocks (which is somewhat unprecedented), the county and city kicked in another $16M for the project. If it doesn't get off the ground, it's not the City's fault.

The one thing that is lacking downtown at this point is incentives for residential projects. I personally believe the City should give incentives to projects that include affordable units. Downtown needs density and the best way to do that is building moderatly priced units. With the price per sq ft of the land, though, it's almost impossible without incentives.

why wouldn't something like this get off the ground? The demand for something like this in Houston is relatively high. I agree, they need to create more affordable housing downtown to generate a more mix of different people, culture to give downtown more character and to increase density downtown.

The Pavilions project in Denver proved to be nothing but success by increasing shopping, dining, and entertainment. It was implemented in 1998. Denver's downtown was in a similar shape as downtown Houston is now in the 1990s. In fact, i think Houston's downtown is better off now than Denver's was so why wouldn't it get off the ground?

Edited by scarface

Every since that damn hurricane katrina, and hurricane rita. Houston has slowed down alot. I guess they still have their minds on the louisiana people, instead of the city.

But, how much you wanna bet the Pavilions get delayed until next year sometime? It never fails in Houston.

:blink:

Rita was only two and a half WEEKS ago. Katrina, 6 weeks.

And, who is "THEY"?

It is amazing to me, some of the posts on this board. Do some of you think there is a city department whose job is to build private buildings? Has anyone badmouthing these projects ever researched what is involved in putting together multi million dollar developments? Do you think that developers build these things with no thought given to whether the market will support the development? Would any of you invest $100 million dollars to build an 80 story office building (for instance), knowing that downtown office vacancies are at 20 percent?

Come on. Use a little intelligence when replying to a thread.

Houston is the slowest damn city. Hell, look at San Antonio and Dallas, even Austin building alot of projects left and right. What Houston building? Strip centers here and there. Houston is 4th largest city, and acting like it's 50th.

So, don't tell me use a little intelligence replying to the thread. Houston have a hard time building more light rail, while Dallas already building more in their metros.

Hard time for people to cater to downtown houston. Why? cause bad parking, not enough entertainment. Hell, Austin got more entertainment in their downtown then us. Get real dude! Are you blind? This a slow ass city we're in. They trying their best to uplift downtown, but people still won't cater. People rather go to the Woodlands, Sugarland, Galveston, Kemah, Katy, etc. then go to downtown.

Downtown comes alive when something like Astros playing, going to the playoffs, maybe the World Series. The Rockets playing, and maybe those sorry ass Texans do something. You can not go downtown on a weekend and see alot of people. Right now you can , cause the Astros on the edge going to the World Series.

Houston is the slowest damn city. Hell, look at San Antonio and Dallas, even Austin building alot of projects left and right. What Houston building? Strip centers here and there. Houston is 4th largest city, and acting like it's 50th.

So, don't tell me use a little intelligence replying to the thread. Houston have a hard time building more light rail, while Dallas already building more in their metros.

Hard time for people to cater to downtown houston. Why? cause bad parking, not enough entertainment. Hell, Austin got more entertainment in their downtown then us. Get real dude! Are you blind? This a slow ass city we're in. They trying their best to uplift downtown, but people still won't cater. People rather go to the Woodlands, Sugarland, Galveston, Kemah, Katy, etc. then go to downtown.

Downtown comes alive when something like Astros playing, going to the playoffs, maybe the World Series. The Rockets playing, and maybe those sorry ass Texans do something. You can not go downtown on a weekend and see alot of people. Right now you can , cause the Astros on the edge going to the World Series.

nicely put there semipro, aside from the grammar errors!

But i do share the frustration with semipro on the fact that Houston always seems to be a step behind the 8 ball when it comes to urban development and transportation. It's very frustrating to see cities like Dallas, Seattle, and hell even Denver outshine us when it comes to implementing new things. Why else did it take Houston so long to decide that they needed to start paying attention to downtown? Yeah, if this was a school, Houston would be in the slow class.

And you Bachanon, i can't believe you'd actually use the Bayou Place as an exampe of Houston's progress. That place is as dead as a doornail, not to mention depressing. Where are these residents that place is supposed to be adding? No signs of any progress on that? Why can't we seem to get federal funding for more rail while Dallas keeps building more and more miles of rail? What's the deal Tom Delay? Do you hate Houston that much? I hope his indictment goes through.

Edited by tierwestah

Well then, get some money and build some nice stuff downtown willy nilly.

Edited by Talbot

"And you Bachanon, i can't believe you'd actually use the Bayou Place as an exampe of Houston's progress. That place is as dead as a doornail, not to mention depressing. Where are these residents that place is supposed to be adding? No signs of any progress on that? Why can't we seem to get federal funding for more rail while Dallas keeps building more and more miles of rail? What's the deal Tom Delay? Do you hate Houston that much? I hope his indictment goes through."

bayou place helped to develop interest in downtown houston. it was brought about by cooperation between the city and private investment. it is not on the scale of the pavilions project, but i think it has been significant in a return of investment and attention to downtown. it may not be all it was cracked up to be (and may have already passed its prime) but it was amazing that it ever occurred and when it opened it gave a place for people to hang out after or before a show. has everyone already forgotten what it was like to go to jones hall or the wortham for an event, enter from the underground parking garages and exit the same way, straight to the freeway. you had to go to montrose or the galleria before you found any restaurants. people from the burbs (not in the know) had to drive 10-20 miles back to the burbs before stopping for food. bayou place helped to create a focal point in the theatre district that didn't exist before.

Well, I just got back from the meeting unveiling the plans for the new downtown park. Amazing is all I have to say. A 2-acre pond, huge lawn, amphitheater, gardens, fountains, underground parking, two (possibly LEED certified) restaurant buildings, dog park, lots of native trees, market area, etc. They are moving VERY quickly on this thing and it looks great. There are things happening downtown, but it takes time. As much as we can kick and scream, the market still has to drive the bulk of the residential and retail. It's happening, albeit slow at first.

P.S. Houston Pavilions is working on revising their plans based on the feedback from the Downtown District. They're still looking to announce this fall.

What are y'all talking about Houston being a slow city?

Sure Dallas has more light rail. But, did Dallas have to build a line without federal money? That was a HUGE feat for Houston.

AND, as for no projects right now, some of you need to get out more. In downtown there's a huge crane for a beautiful new cathedral and the new Civil Courthouse is nearing completion. There are several smaller projects underway too, like the bayou trail improvements, Nabisco conversion, and Christ Church Cathedral project. In the past five years, downtown has seen things like the Aquarium, Hobby Center, Hilton Americas, GRB expansion, 5 Houston Center, Reliant Energy Plaza, Calpine Center, Inn at the Ballpark, and 1500 Louisiana rise. We've also seen empty buildings converted like Commerce Towers, Humble Tower Apts, Capitol Lofts, Magnolia Hotel, Hotel Icon, and Alden Hotel to name a few. Then there's been the major street improvements, Cotswold project, Main Street Square, and a host of other public space improvements!

Head South out of downtown into Midtown and the entire neighborhood has transformed in five years. There are smaller projects happening all over that stretch into the western fringes of the Third Ward.

Where Midtown meets the Museum District, there's the Mosaic proposal for two towers and the Hotel ZaZa conversion underway. AND, don't forget the Asia House Museum coming.

The Medical Center is NUTS right now. Prairie View ATM College of Nursing is nearing completion. Texas Women's University's new bldg is coming close to topping out. The 430 foot tall Memorial Hermann Plaza is well underway as is the expansion of the actual hospital itself across the street. Then there's the 21 story Faculty Center Tower that is in the clearing stage and the Diagnostic Center is coming down right now to make way for the 22 story Outpatient Care Center at Methodist Hospital. And there are enough proposals out there to make your head spin.

Head to uptown and there are cranes and projects all over. Seven Riverway is up to about 10 floors. The Granduca Hotel in Uptown Park is rising. The Empire condos is well underway. Then there's the Hilton Garden Inn that is nearing completion and the Homewood Suites that has topped out. Just on the other side of the loop, the Briarglenn is rising.

Out west, Sysco's new corporate headquarters is rising as well as new additions to several hospital systems from Memorial City to Katy to SugarLand.

AND, don't forget the boom in Galveston and proposals for Clear Lake.

The Houston Pavilions WILL happpen. I think some of you just need to buy a CLUE as to how long it takes to get a project this large off of the ground. We are talking THREE FULL CITY BLOCKS people. It's not like putting up a new CVS Store!