GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

There aren't that many tenants at Bayou Place, and of those who are there, Hard Rock Cafe & Slick Willie's are the only two that really mean something to those who don't spend a lot of time downtown (those who would be needed to make the place swell with activity). Also, Bayou Place has no consumable retail. The new project is supposed to have manufactured retail available, which is important in helping draw interest to the project overall. I mean, people like to eat but they spend more time shopping and they shop at all times of the day.

The West End in Dallas doesn't have much consumable retail either and is mostly dependent upon people visiting the Sixth Floor Museum or what have you wanting to eat (although, the West End has more recognizable venues and better overall attendance than BP). On the other thand, Bayside in Miami not only has your Hooters, your Hard Rock Cafe and Your Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., they have a litany of stores, from Banana Republic to J. Crew. The difference in attendance between these two projects (and Bayou Place, for that matter) is very noticeable, especially on weeknights.

You also have the advantage with regard to this new project of having Foley's nearby along with the rail line, and a denser conglomeration of office buildings and residential (such as the Commerce and Kirby Towers). There's also a large hotel across the street as well as two others within a few blocks down Dallas Street. So I think it has the potential to be a great success from the get go both from the perspective of locals and of visitors.

YAY! i hope they get this thing started!(the mixed use)

Main@Dallas is great, since Dallas St leads up to the Convention center and such. Once the CC park is built, that area could have a nice boom of more mixed use!

This spark could just be close enough to that area to ignite east DT development! :D

YAY!  i hope they get this thing started!(the mixed use)

Main@Dallas is great, since Dallas St leads up to the Convention center and such.  Once the CC park is built, that area could have a nice boom of more mixed use!

This spark could just be close enough to that area to ignite east DT development! :D

Ummm...can we NOT use "main@dallas" as the address please? How' bout main@polk? Yea, main@polk. That's better.

:lol: @ 2112

I was also thinking that, hey, look... even if the current quest for the Shamrock ends with nothing being built, such a project as the one planned for Main @ Polk could still be a catalyst for another type of residential project at that location. If it's a matter of the development group, then I don't think there's much to worry about longterm, as people have already (allegedly) shown enough interest in living at the location. And even if it is a problem with attracting interest from buyers, I think having a project like the mixed-use property down the rail line would give that lot more visibility to a broader range of interested people.

This is excellent news. I am not a believer that the Shamrock is going to happen at this point due to the overhang of available condos in downtown (case in point: the St. Germain). Also, I think downtown is still lacking the attractions for families--especially multiple playgrounds, which are just a basic for people with small children. Playgrounds are a fundamental building block for life in Manhattan, and you can't have a car-less culture for children without them.

Anyway, I also think the breakout residential projects downtown will fit this profile--being done by developers from out of town who understand the drivers of urban environments. So this is a good sign.

Also, I think downtown is still lacking the attractions for families--especially multiple playgrounds, which are just a basic for people with small children.  Playgrounds are a fundamental building block for life in Manhattan, and you can't have a car-less culture for children without them.

This is very true. I have 3 items keeping me from living in dowtown atm and this is one of them. Also on the list are lack of stuff to do downtown during the day (for adults this time) and my commute to westchase (anyone know what it looks like about 7am?).

Grocery store isnt that important to me since I only do it once a week.

You want a big spark for downtown?

Bill Denton and Geoff Jones just closed on the three blocks at Main and Dallas and are planning a project like they did in Denver (over a million sf of mixed - use space).  it will be sad if this project goes up before shamrock.

YAY! I'm glad they actually closed on the deal to buy that land. I would love to see their proposed development come to fruition in that location and this is a sign that it might just happen.

Ummm...can we NOT use "main@dallas" as the address please?  How' bout main@polk?  Yea, main@polk.  That's better.

Haha. Well you know a block of Dallas had it's name changed during the construction of the Hilton Americas so that the new hotel wouldn't have a Dallas address. But that wasn't really such a big deal; Dallas and McKinney kind of merged together in that block anyway. So the Hilton actually has a McKinney address even though it's technically on Dallas.

No, no, no.  Just like Polk, Dallas runs perpendicular to the GRB.  Avenida de las Americas runs parallel to, and in front of, the GRB.  Avenida de las Americas was never named "Dallas" either.  The address of the GRB has never been on either Polk or Dallas Streets.

What you are thinking of was when they renamed Dallas Street in front of the Hilton Americas Hotel just to avoid having a "Dallas Street" address for the convention center.  A really silly (and amateurish) move, in my opinion, and the city of Dallas was right in its comment.

Yea. That sounds about what I remember. By the way, did you ever move back to Houston? Ok, back to the subject!!

Hmm..it is semi old, (it says prposed stadium, and expansion of the GRB) but the developers were looking at the tracts for a long time, I beleive. if they indeed pushed forward with the land, then, I hope and think this is it!

Perhaps someone could email them qith an inquiry about the pavilions...

That tells you how old it is. At around the same time there was another multi-block retail area proposed near the ballpark called "E-Square" (we're talking the late 1990s here :lol: ). This idea was probably dreamed up as a counter-proposal to see if there was sufficient interest in the market. In either case, there apparently wasn't. The large amount of development that was expected to occur in east downtown after construction of MMP just never took off.

That tells you how old it is.  At around the same time there was another multi-block retail area proposed near the ballpark called "E-Square" (we're talking the late 1990s here  :lol: ).  This idea was probably dreamed up as a counter-proposal to see if there was sufficient interest in the market.  In either case, there apparently wasn't.  The large amount of development that was expected to occur in east downtown after construction of MMP just never took off.

Sounds reasonable to believe