Minors sharing a drink

ricco67

My daughter and her boyfriend are visitng this christmas from college. So I figure that a dinner to welcome her home with a fine meal at Fogo De Chau. What sent some of my friends over the edge (they were agast that thet were staying at a hotel) was that I figure it would be a good time to introduce them to a wine with a meal.

Now bear with me here.

One of the reasons she doesn't drink (that much) at school, is because whenever I drank with her around, it was only one or two beers or a glass of wine. Usually with a meal.

she told me that that impression stayed with her that drinking has its place as opposed to my ex's (Go me! Insert Smugness.)

Anyway, is it that big of a deal to introduce a minor the wines to increase the knowledge of food and wine for future reference? Fogo won't give me a hard time about it, will they? They are 19 and 20 years old.

Do what you want in your house. Doing it at Fogo puts the employees in a tough position. No reason to do that to them. Why not have your nice meal at Fogo and then sit around the fire and have a nice chat with some wine then?

My daughter and her boyfriend are visitng this christmas from college. So I figure that a dinner to welcome her home with a fine meal at Fogo De Chau. What sent some of my friends over the edge (they were agast that thet were staying at a hotel) was that I figure it would be a good time to introduce them to a wine with a meal.

Now bear with me here.

One of the reasons she doesn't drink (that much) at school, is because whenever I drank with her around, it was only one or two beers or a glass of wine. Usually with a meal.

she told me that that impression stayed with her that drinking has its place as opposed to my ex's (Go me! Insert Smugness.)

Anyway, is it that big of a deal to introduce a minor the wines to increase the knowledge of food and wine for future reference? Fogo won't give me a hard time about it, will they? They are 19 and 20 years old.

Daughter is one thing (and in fact minors can drink, even at a restaurant, with parent or legal guardian present), but do not give alcohol to the boyfriend. Bad form, bad form.

Your daughter, no. Her boyfriend, yes.

Your daughter may have a drink when it is purchased by you and given to her by you (technically), and consumed in your presence. The boyfriend, however, may only drink under the same rules, i.e., when given the drink by his own parents. I doubt TABC will be conducting sting operations in that restaurant, but if you are refused by the waiter, this will be why.

As for allowing your 19 or 20 year old to learn the proper way to consume alcohol, I need only remember that I could drink at 18, and learned in Houston niteclubs. Nuff said. The problem with alcohol consumption (and almost everything else) is that Americans actually believe that if you do not talk about it, kids will not do it. They also believe that abstention actually works. Best to ignore your friends.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I also don't think you are so naive as to think that they AREN'T drinking in college anyway, or at least tried it. Buying for your 19yr. old is perfectly legal in this state. I would ask the young man if his parents would do the same for him if they were around to buy for him. The drinking age should be 18 nation wide anyway. Before all the MADD supporters dogpile me. I will simply say that if our children are old enough to fight a war and die for our country, and old enough to vote, then they are old enough to consume.

SO the two are staying at a hotel instead of your house ? Did I interpret that right ?

I will simply say that if our children are old enough to fight a war and die for our country, and old enough to vote, then they are old enough to consume.

Right on! Not to get too off topic, but I feel that gun ownership should be added to that list too. It doesn't make sense, you can't own a personal gun to protect yourself and your property til you're 21, yet, you can fire the military's guns at age 18 in a foreign land all you want.

You can fire the military's guns after months of the military training you how to use them, when to use them and what to use them for. If 18 year olds stateside had that kind of firearms training, I doubt that anyone would have any problem with them owning firearms whatsoever.

However, just to take this thread a little further off-topic, what law prohibits 18 year olds from owning a gun to protect themself anyway?

I personally don't see anything wrong with it but then again I am a 20 year old college sophmore known to sneek into bars with a fake ID (FYI, just so no one gets on my case here, I am pretty responsible and I dont really drink and drive. Also since I am currently studying architecture which is a pretty time consuming major that does not really leave me much free time to do anything to cause a severe hangover.)

Besides I have seen people way older than me, do stupid stuff when they are drunk so I don't think having a drinking age at 21 really prevents any stupid behavior from occuring.

As long as the kids understand that with drinking comes responsibility, than I don't see a problem. Unless the Fogo staff refuses to serve them which they have the right to do.

Well, to be fair to the Fogo staff. They don't have to serve ANYONE, if they don't want to. They should serve Ricco, and let HIM give his daughter the beverage, that is how the law works. All Ricco had to do was say that was his daughter and son, but I am sure the family would have gotten a few strange looks when the two youngsters were holding hands the whole time and kissing. :o TABC certified for over 10 years.

SO the two are staying at a hotel instead of your house ? Did I interpret that right ?

Well, you guys pretty much covered quite a few of the arguments a few friends and I were having about this.

Yes, my daughter was VERY open about her drinking with me, but has also told me she got over the drinking quickly and is pretty much having a beer or two at home. She's somewhat apprehensive, but excited about having Wine with our meal. (She has NO clue what Fogo is.)

Yes, the they are staying at a hotel. I have no delusions as to their relationship, but I'm sure they don't want their dad underfoot the entire time.

Besides, it'll give me a great sense of sadistic pleasure of having her mother pick her up for once. She HATES driving into town.

He works 40 hours AND taking a full load, she is trying to adjust to campus life and is doing well, so this is a chance to "relax" before heading back to school.

Now if I can only convince my darling daughter that there needs to be a bit of a filter between your head and mouth...

Yes, the they are staying at a hotel. I have no delusions as to their relationship, but I'm sure they don't want their dad underfoot the entire time.

That is a GREAT call on the hotel thing. I am like you, I won't turn a blind eye to a relationship, and I don't want it in my house, as much as they probably think they are being "sneaky" while in the house. No thanks, that is one less thing I have to think about around Christmas time. After all, these are our little girls we are talking about. I am actually hoping for lesbians when mine grow up. :P:lol:

Yes, they are staying at a hotel. I have no delusions as to their relationship, but I'm sure they don't want their dad underfoot the entire time.

Huh? Aren't they _visiting_ you? It's a time-honored tradition. Either the young couple takes a break at dad's house, or the polite fiction of "getting lost" on the way to the bathroom in an unfamiliar house is invoked. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not a big deal at all! I don't know why American culture is so "goody goody" these days! In other societies (e.g., Germany, France) kids can drink in public at 16 and often are introduced to beer and wine at a younger age.

It's ironic that alcoholism and DUI's are much less prevalent in those countries than in the U.S. Perhaps opening up our social mores a bit would actually be a good thing! Prost!

Not a big deal at all! I don't know why American culture is so "goody goody" these days! In other societies (e.g., Germany, France) kids can drink in public at 16 and often are introduced to beer and wine at a younger age.

It's ironic that alcoholism and DUI's are much less prevalent in those countries than in the U.S. Perhaps opening up our social mores a bit would actually be a good thing! Prost!

Seriously!

Archived