Best spots for dusk architecture photography in Houston?

MovingSoon

Hey everyone,

I got my first DSLR (D40 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR) and very igore to get back to photography. My favorite pictures are right before/after sunset and I like the urban landscapes. For gurus out there - what would be a good spots to visit ? (of course publicly accessible).

Thanks!

The park area between Allen Parkway and Memorial always seems to be popular with photographers capturing downtown at sunset. I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29....mp;t=h&z=19

Eleanor Tinsley Park.

That's probably the most common place. But I recommend going on the Memorial Drive side. Park in one of the little pull-off areas and walk up the hill. Slightly better vantage point, and a lot fewer people there.

I also recommend the Sabine Street Bridge over Buffalo Bayou, and the associated park area behind it.

Please post your results - both good and bad.

OK.. But be kind, this is the first time I wend beyond point-and-shoot since middle-school. Suggestions welcome however.

From my rooftop [ Really miss a real fall colors here, have to play with white-balance to get something ...]

DSC_0154.JPG

Under the bridge downtown[need to look for a better spot for this one...]

DSC_0123.JPG

My favorite in terms of composition:

DSC_0126.JPG

one more..

DSC_0079.JPG

Hey everyone,

I got my first DSLR (D40 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR) and very igore to get back to photography. My favorite pictures are right before/after sunset and I like the urban landscapes. For gurus out there - what would be a good spots to visit ? (of course publicly accessible).

Thanks!

There's an large apartment complex on the northwest side of the Waugh / Memorial "intersection"... forget the name... redish in color... sneak into the parking garage behind somebody (there's a gate... follow a resident in)... go to the top of the parking garage... you get amazing views of Downtown and the surrounding area, especially at dusk. :wub:

I like those shots. After seeing a few from different vantage points over the past few weeks, I'm still trying to figure out why all those upper-level floors are lit up on Heritage Tower at night as of late.

There's an large apartment complex on the northwest side of the Waugh / Memorial "intersection"... forget the name... redish in color... sneak into the parking garage behind somebody (there's a gate... follow a resident in)... go to the top of the parking garage... you get amazing views of Downtown and the surrounding area, especially at dusk. :wub:

I have to try and check that one out! ^_^

There's a building at the intersection of Kirby & Norfolk (West Side) that I've wanted to try for a while. I've shot from there during the day and it does have a pretty good range of views (DT, Uptown, Med Center) and I've seen some decent night shots as well. If it's open, it might be worth a visit.

A bit further out, there's a 13 or 14 level garage in the Astrodome area that's I;ve used in the past. It's along Fannin and adjacent to University General Hospital and it has pretty good views of Downtown & Uptown.

Archived