Downtown News Racks & News Papers

texasboy

Some city officials want news racks off the streets

06:56 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 4, 2005

By Doug Miller / 11 News

Read all about it -- some of Houston's city council members are upset about paper racks.

What is bothering them isn't so much the newspaper racks as the advertising sheets popping up on city sidewalks.

But the city might have a hard time controlling what critics call sidewalk clutter.

Read More: http://www.khou.com/news/local/politics/st...s.c1316df1.html

Well, if Houston developers put shops and stores on the ground floors of the office buildings, with street access, there would be no need for so many paper boxes. Seems to me they should work on getting the bums off of the street.

Well, if Houston developers put shops and stores on the ground floors of the office buildings, with street access, there would be no need for so many paper boxes. Seems to me they should work on getting the bums off of the street.

If you take away the free newspaper stand boxes. That starts a chain reaction, no free newspaper access means no free "blankets" for the bums, no free blankets for the bums means , disgruntled bums who need to go elsewhere to find free blankets. The great migration starts and all bums go to Dallas to find blankets.

The city council are a bunch of Geniuses. They know exactly what they are doing. :huh:

You gotta admit these things are junk. Who reads this junk anyway?

But it's not just bums. I see "normal" litter bugs on Congress get a paper, take a look, and then toss it.

The bigger issue is that downtown is just pretty dirty for the most part.

We need to be a much better job of picking up our trash. I wish all the buidlings downtown could do such a nice job cleaing their buildings in the moring as Commerce Towers does.

I wonder why they would concentrate on the newspaper bins and don't concentrate on something useful, such as cleaning up what apparently is known as the PSH (pigeon shite hotel), the area under I-45 and by Pierce elevated. I think nothing in downtown and I mean nothing is as dirty as that area. I love the No Trespassing Signs. Yet there are regularly I'd say about 100-200 people under there hanging out on lawn chairs, matresses, some apparently living in cars. Trash everywhere. But I guess the newspaper racks come first.

You gotta admit these things are junk. Who reads this junk anyway?

But it's not just bums. I see "normal" litter bugs on Congress get a paper, take a look, and then toss it.

The bigger issue is that downtown is just pretty dirty for the most part.

We need to be a much better job of picking up our trash. I wish all the buidlings downtown could do such a nice job cleaing their buildings in the moring as Commerce Towers does.

I agree. Houston is one of the dirtiest major cities that I have ever seen. Even New York is cleaner. However, trash cans are rare in downtown. Some bus stops have them but otherwise there are not many.

I agree. Houston is one of the dirtiest major cities that I have ever seen. Even New York is cleaner. However, trash cans are rare in downtown. Some bus stops have them but otherwise there are not many.
New York City ? That's the filthiest city in the country. are you high?no comparison.

Definitely agree on the trash can issue. Seems like they are not there or full. Thus after being full, people keep putting stuff in. I don't think as a whole downtown is filthy, just certain parts. Anything close to I-45 - filthy. By the Montague - filthy. Most of anything off Louisiana, clean. Seriously, drive down louisiana or travis and a lot looks absolutely pristine.

Yep, I work at 1100 Louisana and in the morning it feels like I am walking into Mr. Hooper's store on Sesame Street. Spic and span.

But even 2 Houston Center (which has some decent companies) needs a good morning scrub. Not sure why they don't, or

The guys in the Fantasy Island suits need to expand their territory.

The redone streets all have trashcans. Downtown Houston, Inc. is supposed to keep them emptied. Sometimes they are on top of it, sometimes not. Downtowners, if you see one overflowing, email or call Downtown Houston or 311. It's up to us to help out.

As for the news bins, they are definitely breeding. When the county took them away for Rita, it looked really nice and clean downtown. I wish they would have lost them.

The other day driving home from downtown I saw a man eating a hamburger and then tossing the wrapper on the ground instead of in the trash can mere inches from where the paper hit! Some people just don't care and see nothing wrong with throwing trash on the ground trash can or not. The challenge is to get everyone to care about living in a clean environment and too some extent about getting people to care about the welfare of others.

The other day driving home from downtown I saw a man eating a hamburger and then tossing the wrapper on the ground instead of in the trash can mere inches from where the paper hit! Some people just don't care and see nothing wrong with throwing trash on the ground trash can or not. The challenge is to get everyone to care about living in a clean environment and too some extent about getting people to care about the welfare of others.

i wish that were possible...on the way to work today, plastic wrap was jettisoned onto the freeway from a vehicle in front of me, and of course the countless cigarette butts. i don't think alot of smokers realize or care that cigarette butts are trash too :rolleyes:

I like the news racks. They're among the few things at street level downtown (at least in the 'Skyline District' <_< ) which are at human scale and serve a useful purpose. Uncluttered is one thing, but the sterility of parts of downtown is offputting - rather like I imagine Brazilia must have been like, circa 1956.

Woudn't mind seeing food pushcarts and newsstands, too. To walk down block after block where there's only one uninviting doorway every few hundred feet (or none at all) and nothing but sheer facades to look at is not condusive to a lively urban landscape. It's boring and alienating.

We can perpetuate the mistakes architects made twenty or thirty years ago, and massage a few corporate egos; or, we can use a bit of creativity to bring life to what too often is a vast, eerie wasteland.

In space, no one can hear you scream....

i think these would be great. and definitely do-able.

They are easily doable, but the restaurant association killed them off as some sort of competition to their sit down restaurants. Imagine, I could eat at Vic and Anthony's, but no, I think I'll just get a hotdog from this food cart instead. Puhlease. :huh:

Archived