HAIF March Madness!

cnote

Looks like the Tar heels are clearly the team to beat this year.

In the Big 12 it looks to be pretty wide open, with Oklahoma and Texas being the frontrunners as far as rankings go. Kansas is down a little, aTm seems to be about like last year, and Baylor is improving as expected.

Stephen Curry looks to be the frontrunner for player of the year...

Discuss...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the Tar heels are clearly the team to beat this year.

In the Big 12 it looks to be pretty wide open, with Oklahoma and Texas being the frontrunners as far as rankings go. Kansas is down a little, aTm seems to be about like last year, and Baylor is improving as expected.

Stephen Curry looks to be the frontrunner for player of the year...

Discuss...

Actually the Ags are down quite a bit from last year at this point. We'll see how they turn out, but right not they're not in the Top 25. They had a quality win over Arizona last week though.

Actually the Ags are down quite a bit from last year at this point. We'll see how they turn out, but right not they're not in the Top 25. They had a quality win over Arizona last week though.

I don't think they finished ranked last season...and at this point last year they were 7-1 coming off a loss to Zona, this year they are 6-1 coming off a win over Zona. Don't see how you say they are down significantly. Who did they lose, Joseph Jones? I don't see that much of an impact as they weren't really that good last year...the loss to Tulsa did look pretty bad though.

• 3 months later...
This year's tournament is going to be very interesting because there is no clear favorite. I like Pitt and North Carolina, but neither of them are unbeatable, not by a long shot. I think there could be a major dark-horse that wins the championship this year.

What was your first clue that Pitt is not unbeatable....being taken to the woodshed by WVU last night, perhaps?

What was your first clue that Pitt is not unbeatable....being taken to the woodshed by WVU last night, perhaps?

Someone, and by that i mean not me this time, needs to sign up for a HAIF league on CBSsportsline or something. Get us a bracket going !!

LOL. And Oklahoma lost as well as UConn. Turning out to be quite the upset season this year.

Speaking of the Syracuse/UConn battle; that was the best game I've ever seen. What a roller coaster ride!

Not to mention the Tar Heels falling to Florida State today...

What I am waiting to see is if Penn State gets an NCAA invite. If they do, then the NCAA might as well just fold up shop an officially turn over the basketball operations to the Big Six leagues. The Big Ten is as overrated as ever and Penn State's out of conference was terribly bad. They played TWO games against rpi top 100 teams out of league play. They lost both; to Rhode Island and Temple. They racked up 11 wins against sub 100 rpi teams in out of conference play. Of those 11, one was on the road (against last place ACC team Georgia Tech). Of those 11, EIGHT came against sub 200 rpi teams (teams like New Jersey Tech, Hartford, Army, UPenn, and Lafayette).

TOTAL JOKE.

What I am waiting to see is if Penn State gets an NCAA invite. If they do, then the NCAA might as well just fold up shop an officially turn over the basketball operations to the Big Six leagues. The Big Ten is as overrated as ever and Penn State's out of conference was terribly bad. They played TWO games against rpi top 100 teams out of league play. They lost both; to Rhode Island and Temple. They racked up 11 wins against sub 100 rpi teams in out of conference play. Of those 11, one was on the road (against last place ACC team Georgia Tech). Of those 11, EIGHT came against sub 200 rpi teams (teams like New Jersey Tech, Hartford, Army, UPenn, and Lafayette).

TOTAL JOKE.

I agree, but I don't think it's a major conference thing, just an overrated big 10 thing. There are teams in the SEC with better RPI and SOS that aren't even being talked about as on the bubble (MSU, Auburn, and even South Carolina now is considered out). The big 10 gets early, undeserved credit every year because of that ACC-Big 10 challenge thing.

Of the major conference 1 seeds, only Louisville has even made it to the finals in conf tourneys. Crazy times, this tournament is going to be way harder than last year to fill out a good bracket for. I like it.

TOTAL JOKE.

Well...Penn St. didn't get in, but tell me how you feel about Zona???

doesn't look like that link joins your group.. just sends me to a generic page to sign up and make my picks.. but i see no mention of it linking to your group.

Correct. Once you create an account, you can go to the group. You type in "HAIF March Madness" as the group name.

Sorry, but any team with 13 losses shouldn't be dancing if they didn't win their conference's auto bid.

Zona getting in is a total joke. 13 losses. Sub 60 rpi. Lost 5 of last 6. Swept by Arizona State including their first game of the Pac Ten Tourney. A .500 record in a Pac Ten that is perceived to be down.

Quite frankly, the NCAA (BCS) is going to kill the tournament if they just start inviting every BCS member with a winning record. There's something very American about the first round upsets that the entire country can rally around. Stories like Davidson's run or George Mason reaching the Final Four are what MAKES this tournament. If it just becomes a chance for all of the big monied schools to make more money, then plenty of people will start to tune out.

While I completely agree that Arizona was a total swing and a miss by the committee, I don't think the committee is in danger of ruining the tournament. Frankly, Zona is about the only mistake. If they only made one big mistake, they're doing pretty well.

While I completely agree that Arizona was a total swing and a miss by the committee, I don't think the committee is in danger of ruining the tournament. Frankly, Zona is about the only mistake. If they only made one big mistake, they're doing pretty well.

I agree. At least in basketball we're whining about the 34th or 35th best team getting robbed, so I don't really care. Much different than the 3rd best team getting robbed.

Who the heck is No More Short Shorts...

People.. name your Haif bracket after your Haif persona so we know who to make fun of when the brackets are revealed tomorrow.

Ha, that's me. I already had a bracket for another group done, so I just joined the HAIF group. I don't feel like filling out another one just for this, and 20thStDad means nothing to the other group I'm in. I suppose I could create another bracket with the same picks...we'll see if I remember to and decide it's worth the time.

EDIT: Ok fine I did it. Took 3 whole minutes. Still, there are only 4 of us, people need to step it up!

Hey cnote:

Any chance you could edit the Topic Title to say "HAIF March Madness"? If not, we can create a new thread for it.

Done. I also signed up for the ESPN league...some tough choices to make in this tournament. I feel like many of the 2-6 teams are overrated, but couldn't pick too many upsets. Also, I feel like Louisville and NC are very beatable, but couldn't get them out as early as I thought I would, if that makes sense.

Should be a lot of fun!!!

Any suggestions on where to go early (11am) Thursday for watching games? Any good drink/food specials being advertised? Inner loop/Heights or west Pearland are possibilities, depending on how long I decide to stay at work.

Any suggestions on where to go early (11am) Thursday for watching games? Any good drink/food specials being advertised? Inner loop/Heights or west Pearland are possibilities, depending on how long I decide to stay at work.

I have yet to find a good "go to" sports bar inside the loop either, especially with decent food. Maybe try the typical buffalo wild wings in Midtown or Rice Village. You could also try front porch in Midtown, since it is really nice outside this week. Oh, and I forgot Two-Rows in Rice Village as well. But of these three I would only call BW3's a real "sports bar".

I have yet to find a good "go to" sports bar inside the loop either, especially with decent food. Maybe try the typical buffalo wild wings in Midtown or Rice Village. You could also try front porch in Midtown, since it is really nice outside this week. Oh, and I forgot Two-Rows in Rice Village as well. But of these three I would only call BW3's a real "sports bar".

Yeah BW3 is the default, I was just wondering if there was some secret awesome place that always has $1 longnecks or sometihng the first day of the tourney. If I find a good place I'll be sure to share.

Yeah BW3 is the default, I was just wondering if there was some secret awesome place that always has $1 longnecks or sometihng the first day of the tourney. If I find a good place I'll be sure to share.

I personally love to watch the game and eat crawfish, and Sam's Boat is pretty good for that but outside your area unless there is one in Pearland...

Edit: Turns out there is...Link

Archived