Osteens On Larry King

RedScare

So the Osteens are on Larry King right now. The tag at the bottom of the screen says "Osteen: Be responsible, be frugal". Excuse me? They preach that God will give you the money to be a big consumer, but now, they say be responsible and frugal? How can you preach a 'prosperity gospel' and have it match a failing economy? Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

He is creepy. He replaced Jesus' initials with his own:

joel%20osteen2.jpg

I Wear Jeans Only?

I Was Jehovah's Organist?

Igniting Wooden Jasmine Offerings?

I Worship Jewish Orthodox?

I Want Jelly Oreos?

The fact that the ™ is so prominent shows where the priorities are.

(This post brought to you by HAIF

Believe it or not, that is a lapel pin. The code stands for "I Watch Joel Osteen". His website, conveniently reached by typing IWJO.com, exhorts readers to show their loyalty to Joel by prominently wearing the pin.

Neat marketing trick. You convince people to buy your advertising to advertise to others. I'm guessing they got the idea from NASCAR. Whatever the source of their marketing prowess, his creepiness is assured.

I hate these kind of preachers never draw a line..its like its ok to do a little sinnin..you cant help it, just keep coming here and giving us money. It s a great buisness enterprise and would lie if I said I hadnt thought of taking it up in my younger days

www.iwjo.com is a fanclub/website. It is not affiliated in any way with him or the church.

I thought the Osteens did a good job on Larry King. Houston is fortunate to have them represent our city. As far as TV evangelists go, we could do a lot worse.

Osteen does not take a salary from the church, and he makes money from the sale of his products. His tv programs do not ask for contributions or "seed" money.

His ministry is on the cutting edge of Christianity. He is trying to take the church into the 21st century, and he is taking a lot of heat from religious conservatives and fundamentalists who disagree strongly with his approach.

You will not hear him talk much at all about Christian doctrines such as us being born in sin, Jesus dying for our sins, or that Jesus is the only way. He does not condemn or berate people for their behavior. He teaches a message of love, the same one that Jesus taught.

The spiritual principles that he teaches will work for anyone regardless of their faith or even if they are an atheist or agnostic. You do have to make a sincere effort to apply them to your life, but they will work.

I do not attend the church.

www.iwjo.com is a fanclub/website. It is not affiliated in any way with him or the church.

I thought the Osteens did a good job on Larry King. Houston is fortunate to have them represent our city. As far as TV evangelists go, we could do a lot worse.

Osteen does not take a salary from the church, and he makes money from the sale of his products. His tv programs do not ask for contributions or "seed" money.

His ministry is on the cutting edge of Christianity. He is trying to take the church into the 21st century, and he is taking a lot of heat from religious conservatives and fundamentalists who disagree strongly with his approach.

You will not hear him talk much at all about Christian doctrines such as us being born in sin, Jesus dying for our sins, or that Jesus is the only way. He does not condemn or berate people for their behavior. He teaches a message of love, the same one that Jesus taught.

The spiritual principles that he teaches will work for anyone regardless of their faith or even if they are an atheist or agnostic. You do have to make a sincere effort to apply them to your life, but they will work.

I do not attend the church.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I am put off by most religious people and most churches, however, I feel right at home with the spiritualism at Lakewood. I agree that it is usually a feel-good message, the band rawks (did I just say that), and people aren't afraid to smile while they're there ... it's not separated by black or white or Hispanic (although there is a service in Spanish), or gender and isn't that what 'Heaven's' gonna be like anyway (for those of you that believe in Heaven ... not sure I do, but wanted to put it out there)?

If you believe in God, then you're supposed to feel good, not ashamed, scared, and outcast (the way some churches and ministries and religions make you feel). I think the Osteens take the best of 'Christ's' teachings and probably do downplay the other doctrines of the bible (but they've been distorted by man for centuries, so I call it an even bet).

Your comments about agnostics and atheists is on-point. Even they would feel welcome there as well as the lite-and-doubting-want-to-be-but-find-it-hard-to-be-believers (like me).

While I do not condone everything Lakewood or the Osteens do, or believe in, or display, it is the closest thing I have come to finding a church 'home' here in Houston.

That explains the $15 tickets. Does it cost $15 to see him at Lakewood, or just when he's on the road?

It's free although as with any church, donations are accepted.

Honestly, I take offense at a LOT of ministries but for some reason I really see the good in Lakewood.

Give you a case in point. When my mother was laying in the hospital about 3 years ago, very ill (gravely ill) Lakewood outreach ministries came to the hospital nearly EVERY day to talk with us, pray with us if we liked, and just to be a comfort. If we (the children) weren't there, they'd leave a card or a note. Some days mom wasn't conscious and others she would tell us that someone was there but she didn't remember a lot of it.

We are not even 'members' of the church and someone else called to ask them if they could they put my mother on their list.

That says a lot to me about their spirit and their caring for others no matter their condition, affiliation or whatever.

As I said, I am not 100% behind everything they do or say, but they are A-okay in my book.

Believe it or not, that is a lapel pin.

Funny. I thought it was for the back of the car.

Neat marketing trick. You convince people to buy your advertising to advertise to others.

No one would ever do that around here. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification.

Osteen does not take a salary from the church, and he makes money from the sale of his products.

Who would have thought that Joel Osteen and Alton Brown would have something in common.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Osteens On Larry King

Archived