legal advice needed

there have been gunshots at the neighbors house a few nights...cops come, no one around, cops dont go in the house. The outside is riddled with bullet holes, around 30. Not even sure the people that lived there are still there. I am sure its a rent house so I looked up the owner and googled his name and mailing address...he is in a bit of trouble and may be in jail...so legally what can I do to get the cops to go in the house and ck it out? Someone has broken some windows recently also.

I know there are lawyers on this board, due the the profession of the neighbor (Dr) I would rather not divulge any more unless by pm..

there have been gunshots at the neighbors house a few nights...cops come, no one around, cops dont go in the house. The outside is riddled with bullet holes, around 30. Not even sure the people that lived there are still there. I am sure its a rent house so I looked up the owner and googled his name and mailing address...he is in a bit of trouble and may be in jail...so legally what can I do to get the cops to go in the house and ck it out? Someone has broken some windows recently also.

I know there are lawyers on this board, due the the profession of the neighbor (Dr) I would rather not divulge any more unless by pm..

lawyers because of liability can't give "free" legal advice even by PM as it opens them up to liability that their insurance will not cover

you will ne to get "creative" and "expand" your accounts of what you saw.....like "I think I smell something rotting in there and have not seen the person there for days"......could be the fridge, but who knows!

or "I think I saw someone climbing in the broken window"

or just kick in the damn back door late one night and call in the next day

my advice is.....when in doubt burn it out.....just wait until the wind is blowing away from you

I'll give you free advice. I am not afraid of "liability".

My first advice is not to lie to the police. You can go to jail for making false reports. Besides, drive by shootings are a felony offense. You do not need to make anything up. Find the supervisor of the area that includes this house. Explain your concerns to him. It is OK to tell of your concerns that with 30 bullet holes, someone could be hurt inside, yet no one went inside for a welfare check.

It is also OK to contact your councilperson with your concerns. Pointing out bullet holes and broken windows as a reason for a welfare check is fair game. But, be aware, if the homeowner is in legal trouble, there may be a reluctance to go inside without a request from the homeowner or a warrant. Not knowing what his trouble is, I cannot give any odds whether that is an issue. If it is just misdemeanors, no one would care.

I'll give you free advice. I am not afraid of "liability".

My first advice is not to lie to the police. You can go to jail for making false reports. Besides, drive by shootings are a felony offense. You do not need to make anything up. Find the supervisor of the area that includes this house. Explain your concerns to him. It is OK to tell of your concerns that with 30 bullet holes, someone could be hurt inside, yet no one went inside for a welfare check.

It is also OK to contact your councilperson with your concerns. Pointing out bullet holes and broken windows as a reason for a welfare check is fair game. But, be aware, if the homeowner is in legal trouble, there may be a reluctance to go inside without a request from the homeowner or a warrant. Not knowing what his trouble is, I cannot give any odds whether that is an issue. If it is just misdemeanors, no one would care.

this is not free legal advice though

If you need advice beyond what others are able to give you here, you might try calling HBA's Legal Lines on December 17:

"The HBA's regular LegalLine program will be held on Wednesday, December 17, with attorneys answering calls from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The public may call 713-759-1133 to speak to a volunteer attorney who will assist in answering their legal questions."

I don't know how helpful it would be, but it might be worth a shot.

this is not free legal advice though

You are right. Advising someone not to commit burglary, arson or false reports to police is not legal advice...it is just common sense.

Don't you worry your pretty little head, though. We took care of it all through a PM. Confidential legal advice, can't beat it! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived