Rudy's BBQ On Highway 290

mrfootball

I stay away as far as I can from Rudy's Bar-B-Q. It is VERY unimpressive. Great Car Show, terrible Bar-B-Q. Pok-e-Jo's here in Austin, is much better. Hell, Bill Miller's is better and they are only a couple of blocks away from me on Burnet.

I stay away as far as I can from Rudy's Bar-B-Q. It is VERY unimpressive. Great Car Show, terrible Bar-B-Q. Pok-e-Jo's here in Austin, is much better. Hell, Bill Miller's is better and they are only a couple of blocks away from me on Burnet.

Rudys is decent chain store BBQ, but an old boot is better than Bill Millers.....Smoke Logans is the best in Austin

As for Austin BBQ, the Salt Lick, hands down.

The Salt Lick is inconsistent in terms of the quality of the cut of meat, but it is without a doubt my favorite BBQ place in Texas. The rub, the sauce, the sides, everything, is prepared like nowhere else. Some days I just have an unnatural craving for vinegary Salt Lick cole slaw.

As for Rudy's, I like it. I've had inconsistent experiences at various Bill Miller's restaurants, in comparison, and it is much more greasy...not in a good way, either. Rudy's sauce is better, too, and it is nice that they'll give you wet and dry samples of the product before you make your order. It's very well managed.

The Salt Lick is inconsistent in terms of the quality of the cut of meat, but it is without a doubt my favorite BBQ place in Texas. The rub, the sauce, the sides, everything, is prepared like nowhere else. Some days I just have an unnatural craving for vinegary Salt Lick cole slaw.

As for Rudy's, I like it. I've had inconsistent experiences at various Bill Miller's restaurants, in comparison, and it is much more greasy...not in a good way, either. Rudy's sauce is better, too, and it is nice that they'll give you wet and dry samples of the product before you make your order. It's very well managed.

Bill Millers is just poor quality meat I don't know how they were ever able to expand out of san Antonio where they were kind of a oocal joke

I don't believe Salt Lick uses a rub I believe it is sauses and it is peach based VS tomato based which is the main difference......one friend used to manage there and another worked there if anyone is interested I can ask them for the "secrets"......I know the peach based sause is one of them

Bill Millers is just poor quality meat I don't know how they were ever able to expand out of san Antonio where they were kind of a oocal joke

Amazingly, Bill Miller's is one of the largest employers in San Antonio. They've got to be doing something right.

The last time I went to Bill Miller's it was the one off of East 410 at US 87, and it served a good meal. It wasn't a BBQ connoseiur's delight, but it was a good meal. I'd never eaten at Bill Miller's previously that I was ever so impressed with.

I don't believe Salt Lick uses a rub I believe it is sauses and it is peach based VS tomato based which is the main difference......one friend used to manage there and another worked there if anyone is interested I can ask them for the "secrets"......I know the peach based sause is one of them

My understanding is that some of the ingredients in the sauce were based on some old Chinese recipies, seeing as how the proprietor's wife is Chinese.

I don't really care, though. It tastes good. That's what's important.

Outbound (North) side.

Kinda wish they had gone a little further outside the Beltway (and thus closer to me!) but I am really excited. I have a hard time getting my wife to eat BBQ and Rudy's is one of the few places she really likes (that and County Line). She even disapproved of Goode Co. Looks like we will just have to make the drive (or I can pick it up on my way home from work). Maybe they will actually get some inner loopers to make the trip in their current location, as it really isn't far when it isn't rush hour. Plus the lunch crowds from the office buildings along 290 and also the Beltway.

I also have to disagree about Pok-e-Jo's in Austin, they used to cater some business functions I was involved with in Austin and I thought it was very unimpressive...but such is the way with BBQ, we all could argue for hours, but having more options is always good news!

• 2 weeks later...
I used to live in San Antonio and when I was a junior and senior in HS ('97-'98) I worked at Barnacle Bill's. The reason Bill Miller's is successful is because they PAY good. Even back then, I started at $9.50 an hour.

Too bad Barnacle Bill's closed....I loved their gumbo!!

They do pay well and their food is dirt cheap. I don't know how they do it. You can easily eat for $5-$6. They often have specials for $3.99. Yes, I'm serious. Then if you have a refill mug, it's $0.50 for any drink in the house (no, they don't serve alcohol). Very, very cheap family establishment. I guess they survive on volume.

They do pay well and their food is dirt cheap. I don't know how they do it. You can easily eat for $5-$6. They often have specials for $3.99. Yes, I'm serious. Then if you have a refill mug, it's $0.50 for any drink in the house (no, they don't serve alcohol). Very, very cheap family establishment. I guess they survive on volume.

They do a HUGE amount of catering. That volume supports the retail operations. A sure sign that you're in San Antonio: everyone carries around those giant half-gallon Bill Miller ice tea jugs.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Rudy's BBQ On Highway 290

Archived