Sharpstown Mall/PlazAmericas At 7500 Bellaire Blvd.

swzine

Am I mistaken or did the Sharpstown Mall recently disappear? I went down to Sears there last week and wondered why the parking lot was empty. It looks like it recently changed into the Southwest Corporate Center or something like that and Sears is the only retail tenant left. I didn't hear anything about this and was surprised when I noticed. What's the story?

• Like 1

Am I mistaken or did the Sharpstown Mall recently disappear?  I went down to Sears there last week and wondered why the parking lot was empty.  It looks like it recently changed into the Southwest Corporate Center or something like that and Sears is the only retail tenant left.  I didn't hear anything about this and was surprised when I noticed.  What's the story?

:lol: Yeah what they all just said :lol:

just seems like you lost your bearing

Westwood and Sharpstown were similar in situation to Town and Country and Memorial. Too close together. One of them had to go. Unfortunately, Sharpstown hasn't been upgraded like Memorial has.

I don;t know that area too well and I guess I just assumed that was the Sharpstown Mall. I mainly just drove over it on 59 and stopped there to go to Sears once twice in the 3 years I lived in this area. That was a mall until recently though, right? Even if I have the name wrong, when did it change? I was just shocked to see a place that was once a mall suddenly turning into a corporate center. I had never seen that before.

Speaking of Town And Country - what did they do with it? Is it still vacant, did they bulldoze it, or will it too become a corporate center. Maybe a church, knowing Houston. hehe

Westwood Mall has been turned into a corporate center for many years now, its not a very recent transition. Sharpstown is just up the road, and they have not done much to improve it, but I think we will continue to see improving demographics (atleast commercially speaking) in the area and if the owners (last I heard it was a group led by self proclaimed 'developer' Tracy Suttles who has been in financial trouble himself - almost had his house forclosed on recently) can capilatize on it, it will become a much more revived mall, although just with middle to lower end catering.

Town & Country was a great mall when built, but the contruction of the highway stacks next to it, at the corner of Bltwy 8 & I-10 W just killed it. If you have ever driven by, you know that it was just plain inconvenient to drive around all that highway to get to the mall; however, that location is nonetheless prime for development, as it is in the heart of one of the highest income areas in the country. (look up its demographics). The mall itself, including the land and everything was purchased and consolidated in two phases by a prominent Houston businessman, and then sold to Midway, which razed it and is planning various residential/retail/office developments, which I look forward to. It would be nice to have the highway construction done though before we see this area develop fully.

Also, right across from Town & Country was a huge piece of land with a teardown, which looks like is now being developed. Any word on what exactly will occupy this last remaining chunk of commercial land on this part of town?

Here's a link to a Chronicle article from May 2000 saying Westwood Technology Center would be up and running that summer. I thought it had been a little longer than that. I didn't realize the fiber optics angle; it was a small mall and wasn't doing very well and with 1st Colony Mall opening it was going to be competing with that and Sharpstown and prospects didn't look good.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/c100story.hts/...chron100/552078

The Sears store was making money so they wanted to keep it open.

Town&Country Mall, will be turned into all Medical offices. They are renovating it right now.The Luby's cafeteria will stay. The Land across beltway 8 is a staging area for the I-10 construction right now, I believe they are going to build a highrise there eventually, perhaps a Hotel. The land used to be a Gibson's years and years ago, then Houston Nusery rented it out the parking lot for awhile.

Town&Country Mall, will be turned into all Medical offices. They are renovating it right now.

Sure, if you wanna use a pile of rubble as a medical office... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
where is (was?) westwood mall?

WestWood was at the corner of Bissonet and 59 South (Southwest Freeway). Sears is the only store that is left there. I actually really enjoyed the mall because it was never too crowded. I also LOVED the black and white interior along with the 2 story carousel.

Town&Country Mall, will be turned into all Medical offices. They are renovating it right now.The Luby's cafeteria will stay. The Land across beltway 8 is a staging area for the I-10 construction right now, I believe they are going to build a highrise there eventually, perhaps a Hotel. The land used to be a Gibson's years and years ago, then Houston Nusery rented it out the parking lot for awhile.

If you are refering to the SW corner of BW8 & I10, then that plot of land will be a retention pond associated with the drainage improvements associated with the Katy expansion. The NW corner where Igloo used to be will also be drainage retention. Check out the Katy freeway website for plats. Oops the one schematic for that area is no longer available. The others are at the link below.

http://www.katyfreeway.org/re-eval.html

Lighten up, Francis. It's a joke.

But I will tell you I would never let me wife and child go to that mall alone.

It's a scarry place, and a lof of bad things have gone down in the parking lot over the last ten years.

Rember the poor girl shot dead for her car?

Maybe I should post that story that I and a friend of mine are writing about some kids from Memorial and Briar Forest going to Sharpstown Mall and encountering thugs and scammers. Oh, and it's a comedy.

• 1 year later...
"If you go to Wal-Mart you're not going to find Apple Bottoms or Baby Phat," noted Dominque Miller, a 19-year-old Kroger cashier, referring to the urban brands at Sharpstown.
Half the stores at 46-year-old Sharpstown are now mom-and-pops and many jewelers there sell flashy items made popular by rap artists. Most apparel stores offer urban clothing influenced by street culture, including labels owned by hip-hop icons Russell Simmons, Nelly and Beyonc

This is the Chron article most Houstonians would prefer to read:

Sharpstown Mall finally throw's in the towel!

Owners decide to put pathetic over-hyped mall out of its misery. One owner was quoted as saying its like having to shoot an injured horse. Hopeless cause. The body count has far exceeded our highest expectations. etc, etc, etc. B)

Edited by Vertigo58

Why don't they just build a new "Sharpstown" Mall closer to where its target demographics are, so that they don't have to come from other parts of town? It would be my guess that blacks are less than 1/3 of the demographic makeup of the mall's 5 mile radius, yet the mall is mostly geared toward them. I like the mall's independent spirit of welcoming mom and pop stores, but as a white guy, I doubt there would be any stores that would be attractive to me if I lived in the area. It's also laughable that the mall does nothing to attract the aging white population of the Sharpstown area, who are the ones with the most money to spend.

It's also laughable that the mall does nothing to attract the aging white population of the Sharpstown area, who are the ones with the most money to spend.

It's because they are too afraid to leave their homes. They are as old as they are because they stay home and watch Matlock instead shopping in a dangeroud mall like Sharpstown.

I still think they should find some way to get these people out to the mall. These people should take more pride in their community. They were the ones prancing around in the 1950s in their hot new cars and expensive suits like they were the greatest thing on earth, and now they sit in their houses with the doors locked. They just allowed their community to deteriorate after it started off as a super classy, one-of-a-kind residential development. I at least give them credit for staying there and not moving to Sugarland like all the other frightened people.