Wainwright Elementary School At 5330 Milwee St.

TJones

I am looking for anyone who may have gone to Wainwright Elem. on Milwee dr. just off 290 over by Scarborough Highschool. Especially interested if you went there in the late 70's or early 80's. Hoping for some of your memories of this great school.

I will start with remembering they always had the best Halloween Carnivals, and the Talent Show every year. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for anyone who may have gone to Wainwright Elem. on Milwee dr. just off 290 over by Scarborough Highschool. Especially interested if you went there in the late 70's or early 80's. Hoping for some of your memories of this great school.

I will start with remembering they always had the best Halloween Carnivals, and the Talent Show every year. Thanks in advance.

My two older brothers, sis and I all attended the magnet program there. I was there from '86-'89. I enjoyed my time there, kick ass teachers. I loved the modules we had every morning, learned so much. I don't remember the Halloween carnivals too much, the talent shows were always entertaining.

Now that the wife and kids are moving to the US from the UK, I'm debating about sending my sons there. There are "better ranked" schools around I know, I guess I will see. They're only two and four so we have time.

I went there in 85-88 (k through 3 grade). We walked to school. Live on Lamonte (where it deadends into a culd-a-sac, our backyard was behind that pool company on 43th Street). That was my parents first house. I loved that neighborhood, not sure if it has kept up well though.

I remember in my first grade class, that every week someone got to take home and care for the class pet (guinea pig). My last week in school was my week to take care of it as we were moving to the West U area. I still remember my mom bitching about the pig pooping pellets everywhere.

I remember on St. Patrick's day we were all allowed to go outside for most of the day to search for four-leafed clovers. -- One teacher, Mrs. Daniel's said that there were leprechauns near four-leaf clovers.

I remember being chased by the girls at recess and falling off the jungle gym.

I remember my first girlfriend at that school, Monica Hill :)

I remember my parents finding a note (written in crayola) that Monica had left me in my weekly folder that went home with me so my parents could see what we did that week in class -- to this day my mom still has that note with all my other school stuff.

I remember kindergarten graduation (lol)

Daniel, that's the kind of stories I'm looking for. I can remember watching the first shuttle launch in the school auditorium/gym/lunch room. I also remember the whole school watching Ol' Yeller in that auditorium also. As a 5th grader, I won the talent show in 1981 with a ventriliquist act. I remeber my first girlfriend there also, her name was Karen Wehr, you may have gone to school with her brother Wesley.

Edited by TJones

What year did it turn into a Magnet School. I am almost 100% sure it wasn't when I went there, so I was wondering about that also.

I'm not sure when it became a magnet school. It was one of the first. The magnet program was for 3rd-5th grades. The sibs and I were all bussed in from 1st Ward(what is now "Harker Heights")we would have to wake up at 5 or 6 in the morning. Besides the modules at I think 7 in the morning it was just like any other school. The first two days of my 3rd grade year I didn't even know I was in the magnet program. They asked me when I got off the bus if I was, I told them no ,so they stuck me in the cafeteria until everyone else started school. My eldest brother is eight years older than me and he went, just don't know if he started in his 4th or 5th grade, I'll ask.

I loved the camping trip to either camp Olympia or Camp Colon. My class only went to camp Olympia our 4th and 5th grades. I remember we had a week at the zoo from the time we got to the school we would get on another bus then be at the zoo until it was time to go home. I remembered I answered the question that won my team the question/answer game and bragging rights of course.

Remember Ms Bryan or Mr Lindsey, Ms Thomas, Ms Barnett?

HnI, I only remeber Ms. Ruth really. She wasn't even my teacher, but all the boys had a crush on her. She was young and hot. Was Mr. Lindsey the principal ?

Mr Lindsey was the 3rd and 4th grade science teacher. He was very goofy(always had sound effects for everything), he would put on clown make up and dress up for events and parties.

Mr Van Clarke was the principal at the time

Mr Lindsey was the 3rd and 4th grade science teacher. He was very goofy(always had sound effects for everything), he would put on clown make up and dress up for events and parties.

Mr Van Clarke was the principal at the time

Van Clarke, that sounds right for the principal. I don't recall a wacky science teacher though. I remember getting sent to the Principal's office because some other kid had given me a funny looking pink pill, that I hadn't asked for, and the teacher saw it. I didn't get into trouble, but the other kid did.

I remember watching the shuttle launch a few times there if I remember correctly. It was a big deal back then.

I can't recall the name of anyone else other than Monica and Ms. Daniel's, (as it is my first name) one of the sweetest ladies I have ever meet. She introduced me to "Where the Sidewalk Ends". One of my favorite books growing up (along with "Where the Wild Things Are")

At the end of the year she gave me her copy of "Where the Sidewalk Ends". I still have it to this day.

Does anyone know if that neighborhood is still nice?

Edited by Daniepwils

The neighborhood isn't soooooo bad. There are alot worse around. Mainly about a mile or two up Antoine. I was driving around there a couple of months ago. The streets around the school are still very nice. Costa Rica Dr. in particular.

Edited by TJones

• 4 weeks later...

I graduated from Scarborough, but went to Katherine Smith (the area was originally supposed to go to Waltrip). All of my friends went to Wainwright though. I guess I'm showing my age!

I grew up off of Mangum and 43rd, and drove by there the other day. I was absolutely shocked to see the strip center in front of Oak Forest on Mangum. What an eyesore! My parents got out of there and moved to the Woodlands about 25 years ago, and I don't think they've been back to that area since. It's not looking so hot.

Edited by Houston Agent

• The title was changed to Wainwright Elementary On Highway 290 Grads?
  • The title was changed to Wainwright Elementary School At 5330 Milwee St.