What Does An Urban Designer Do?

ekarl17

I am currently a student orf Urban Planning at Texas A&M. The area that most interests me is Urban Design and I would like to know more information about it. What do they exactly do? What are the best schools in Texas? Do you guys have any suggestions.

Thank you guys for your time. :)

I am currently a student orf Urban Planning at Texas A&M. The area that most interests me is Urban Design and I would like to know more information about it. What do they exactly do? What are the best schools in Texas? Do you guys have any suggestions.

Thank you guys for your time. :)

Is the A & M program a technical design/engineering degree or a policy-making admin sort of program? When I was in school it was policy-driven along the lines of an applied poly sci/business combo degree, and the technical side was the industrial/civic engineering stuff. Curious. If I had to do it all over again, urban planning (policy)with a law degree topper would sound really interesting.

In any event, it's ultimately about spending other people's money on a very large scale. Do you want to build stuff, or decide what gets built?

Is the A & M program a technical design/engineering degree or a policy-making admin sort of program? When I was in school it was policy-driven along the lines of an applied poly sci/business combo degree, and the technical side was the industrial/civic engineering stuff. Curious. If I had to do it all over again, urban planning (policy)with a law degree topper would sound really interesting.

In any event, it's ultimately about spending other people's money on a very large scale. Do you want to build stuff, or decide what gets built?

I think I want to build the stuff, you know I have seen drawing of what I have google 'urban design' and it seems very appealing to me. I am doing the bachelor's program at A&M it's a new major that just started last year.

Is the A&M Urban Planning program associated at all with the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M? They are renowned for research, although I am not sure about any planning or design.

I know UT Austin has a strong Community & Regional Planning program in its School of Architecture. It would incorporate design concepts on several scales (from a single building to an entire metro)

• The title was changed to What Does An Urban Designer Do?

Archived