Black Friday 2008: What did you buy?

I picked up Electronic Arts' Tetris for the iPhone for $5.99 on the iTunes store. It's usually $10, which is a little much for such a basic game. But at $5.99 it's an early Christmas present for my wife who's a huge Tetris nut.

I see at least one Friend of HAIF went shopping today. What deals did you get?

So far, Nothing. But, some of these prices are getting pretty cheap. I might buy a 20-22 inch LCD HDTV for my kitchen. I'm also looking for a laptop, but I will not spend more than about $500 for one, so I am somewhat limited. Any suggestions are appreciated.

There were people lined up at Best Buy today for $349 laptops. They're probably all gone, though.

Most of the stores seem to be mirroring their in-store sales online (usually with better availability), so you can just browse and order there instead of fighting the crowds.

So far, Nothing. But, some of these prices are getting pretty cheap. I might buy a 20-22 inch LCD HDTV for my kitchen. I'm also looking for a laptop, but I will not spend more than about $500 for one, so I am somewhat limited. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have you considered a netbook.. .I know Asus is a big manufacturer, but recently Dell and others have gotten into the game. They can be had for under $500 generally.

Have you considered a netbook.. .I know Asus is a big manufacturer, but recently Dell and others have gotten into the game. They can be had for under $500 generally.

Those do not appeal to me. I would use a laptop for work, so I would need to use MS Word, and those small screens do not look too comfortable for word processing. My real question is how the lower priced laptops hold up to work use. I am not a gamer or much of a video guy, so it really only needs to handle word processing and other work related uses.

I bought absolutely nothing. Avoiding all retail shopping, and all roads, bridges, overpasses, and exits that lead to any retail shopping. I will gladly pay 10% more, on any item, to avoid the kind of madness that occurs every year, after Thanksgiving. Why this day? Why do we all decide that 'this is the day' to go shopping? NO SIR.

I bought absolutely nothing. Avoiding all retail shopping, and all roads, bridges, overpasses, and exits that lead to any retail shopping. I will gladly pay 10% more, on any item, to avoid the kind of madness that occurs every year, after Thanksgiving. Why this day? Why do we all decide that 'this is the day' to go shopping? NO SIR.

The news reports suggest that you were wise to stay away. 2 people dead in Toys R Us in California, and one poor Walmart temp worker stampeded to death in Queens. Sick and wrong.

The news reports suggest that you were wise to stay away. 2 people dead in Toys R Us in California, and one poor Walmart temp worker stampeded to death in Queens. Sick and wrong.

Too bad we live in Texas,not Cali or NY.

Besides there wasn't any violence from any of the stores i went to, and WalMart had it very under control with all the security officers

bought me a sony bravia last week cheaper than i've seen it this week. now a camera is in my sights from bestbuy.com

Thank you. I saw desktop deals on Circuit City website last week, was waiting for lower prices today, only to see that they removed printers from the deals and were selling at roughly 50 bucks higher. :(

I bought a 1TB WD hard drive for my DVR. Hate to delete soccer games, and FIFA has tons of tournaments now.

I celebrated 'buy nothing day', although I did go out for dinner. The black friday shopping hysteria has always mystified me. I generally dislike shopping as it is, but the competitive nature of shopping for black friday deals sounds like a nightmare. I'd rather take my chances online or during the slow times.

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

Got one of these from Sams ...VIZIO 22" HDTV for $289...good reviews and specs, had plenty on hand...also Westinghouse 16 " for $169.87 you need to check store locations because some stores are out of them

okay, here is the deal:

I don't do black Friday shopping, but my brother does. He begged me to go with him because his wife is recovering from surgery and could not go. My 15 year old son and I went... as a favor to my only brother! He picked us up at 3:30 AM and we went to Kohl's with a list. We lined up like Soviets buying Ukrainian shoes, and were herded through one door by a pasty employee who said this was done for "crowd control," rather than a blaten fire code violation. $200 worthof sheets and other crap later we were off to the mod scene at Walmart. The doors were open, but the store was not. There were hundreds of people loosely lined up to buy dozens of tv's. Walmart offered only rudimentary and conflicting insrtuctions: line up in the front of the store, line up in the rear of the store...just get up there and put your hand on what you want..... when the black shrink wrap came off the madness began... I kid you not, when the time comes for soup lines in theis city, come well armed and prepared to kill...2 fights over damned televisions, and of course they were out of the specials long before we got close! My brother was dishartened, but ended up getting the same tv at walmart.com for the same price....

I resolved to never go shopping on black Friday again, and my son got a view of the finest humanity Houston has to offer...and breakfast at the House of Pies at 6:30 Friday morning!

Like Barracuda, I'm a big believer in Buy Nothing Day.

My concessions to commerce were dinner at Ninfas last night with out of town guests, and buying a bag of cat food this afternoon. It was nearly a buy nothing long weekend.

No offense to Native Son, who was being a stand-up brother, but it troubles me that I see so many multigenerational packs of women, getting up a 4 am to shop because it's holiday 'tradition'. So after they've cooked all day (for two or more days, sometimes) and cleaned up, they deprive themselves of sleep on a holiday to get up at 3 am to buy crap for the same people who sat on their asses watching football after thanksgiving dinner while they washed dishes. Brilliant. Black Friday shopping skills will take those young girls far in life.

Ah, Shopper-san, it's true. But good deals and good gifts are not necesarily the same the same thing!

;)

that i agree with. to be honest..this is the first yr i didn't go out to shop. still using all the 50 pack blank cd's i bought last yr for 4.99.

There was a Chronicle article about the grandmother and mother taking the 10 year old on her first Black Friday, and imparting their wisdom. It was nauseating to read. The writer wrote it as if it was a time honored traditional passage to womanhood.

I never went anywhere. I looked at my TV, which is still in perfect condition (just not thin), and wondered just what I needed a laptop for, and stayed home. I feel much better having done my part on Buy Nothing Day. I did buy some Coke for my rum yesterday, though.

I never went anywhere. I looked at my TV, which is still in perfect condition (just not thin), and wondered just what I needed a laptop for, and stayed home. I feel much better having done my part on Buy Nothing Day. I did buy some Coke for my rum yesterday, though.

I'm just tired out by all the crap for sale. I'm not oppsed to buying things, there's just so little I really want. I just refuse to pay a grand for a new tv as long as the one I have ( not thin) works.

Yikes. I must sound a hundred years old.

I'm just tired out by all the crap for sale. I'm not oppsed to buying things, there's just so little I really want. I just refuse to pay a grand for a new tv as long as the one I have ( not thin) works.

Exactly. I'm using one that a cousin of mine gave to my aunt who gave it to me over the course of many moves and many years. It's probably a remnant of the mid-90's, but it still works just fine and I'm not willing to pay outrageous sums of money to save a few square feet and to watch South Park in high definition.

I'm the same way. I mean, I am all for new stuff, but not just because it's new. I tend to buy stuff that I need and when the other stuff is obsolete or just wears out. Unfortunately, my Sony Wega (flat-screen, but not LCD/thin) has a perfect picture still!

Rats!

I celebrated 'buy nothing day', although I did go out for dinner. The black friday shopping hysteria has always mystified me. I generally dislike shopping as it is, but the competitive nature of shopping for black friday deals sounds like a nightmare. I'd rather take my chances online or during the slow times.

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

Black Friday. Cyber Monday.

These retailers are playing folks like a fiddle.

Archived