Seeking suggestions for where to get a toy chest

20thStDad

Anyone have suggestions for where to look for a toy chest? For a girl, but not necessarily looking to go mega-princess-pink, since the current furniture we have in her room is just normal non-boy/girl, I think it has a "cabernet" finish for the color. Whatever.

I've looked around on the internet some and have found a few that might match, but I don't want to restrict us to having to match anything. I have seen chests, benches, drawer-type things, crazy pink mega princess action, and tons more. If anyone has experience or advice on 1) where to get a good one and a good deal, or 2) things to stay away from (for instance, don't get XXX type because it will break or doesn't fit anything or is a pain in the ass...), we would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!

Have someone build one. Perhaps do a rough sketch of what you want and present to the craftsman. It should not cost much and you can add any kind of fun motifs all over it. In fact if you have a relative that knows some woodwork its that much more meaningful. When we were kids our dad and uncle built a cool little club house as we called it. We practically lived in that sucker and all the kids on the street loved it. There are many wood work mags with ideas. I made a toy box for my niece and added classic cartoons all over it. :D

This is the creativity that can go into such items.

41ZFZZNMK0L._SL500_AA280_.jpgCliffordWoodenToyChest.jpg

Have someone build one. Perhaps do a rough sketch of what you want and present to the craftsman. It should not cost much and you can add any kind of fun motifs all over it. In fact if you have a relative that knows some woodwork its that much more meaningful. When we were kids our dad and uncle built a cool little club house as we called it. We practically lived in that sucker and all the kids on the street loved it. There are many wood work mags with ideas. I made a toy box for my niece and added classic cartoons all over it. :D

This is the creativity that can go into such items.

That is a good idea, but me and 20thStMom are not what anyone would call creative. When my grandfather was alive he owned a wood working shop that built cabinets, so he built all of his granddaughters cedar chests (called hope chests down in these parts), but I don't think there's anyone we know now that could do it. That and back to the first comment, we would have no idea what to tell them to do. The painting and using different cartoon characters is a possibility, but our daughter isn't quite 1 yet so we have no idea what she will end up liking.

This is a good simple plan. I wish you were standing here so I could make a sketch for you. I do this stuff on the side anyway. Of course safety is number 1 priority. The lids can catch tiny fingers and they will be soooo tempted to climb inside. Tiny air vents are a good idea.

hoistman-toy-chest.jpga_1369.princess-toy-box-bench.jpg

guidecraft-fire-truck-toy-box-chest-open.jpg

We bought this toy chest, from this website: KidKraft Toy Chest. It comes in several different colors. I ordered it on the 18th of October (2005) and they shipped it the same day. So for three years now my daughter has been climbing on it, in & out of it, etc. and she hasn't managed to wreck the thing yet. It still looks brand new.

So I guess in a way this is bit of a recommendation for both the toy chest itself & the website. Good luck! :)

Archived