HAIF - Houston's original social media

Main Street Corridor

Found this link while searching recently, wanted to share...(sure it's been mentioned before, couldn't find it though, moderators feel free to move if need be). Note the article/presentation is from year 2000, ...Found it particularly interesting because of the old bldg pics & histories. For instance, it mentions Sears (Main St) original layout (p.69), a subject I have verified recently with Sanborn maps. Don't know if all of the original master plan has been implemented.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/planning...rplanrecent.pdf

Edited by NenaE
I don't think any of the plan was implemented. It wasn't exactly a plan, more like a collection of ideas for what could be done. I remember when it came out they had an exhibition about it in the Allen Center lobby.

I recall interviewing several of the people involved in developing this "plan", and they all said it's just a wish list. Things they would like to see done along Main St.

There are some nice ideas in it, but there's nothing official about it.

Personally I don't think any of it will come to pass in any form in my lifetime.

You mean like the space needle on page 13? HAA!

Fun reading. Thanks for posting!

Oh, guess I missed that... :huh::P ..was searching for info. on the Sears Bldgs & ran across the link, thought the presentation was nice, once you reach the history part. To tell you the truth, I didn't check it all out yet. I mainly liked it for the old bldg pics & histories. Many of those motels on S. Main are no longer standing. You're welcome.