Looking for old City Directory.

BenH

Does anyone know where I could find an old copy of the City Directory, probably from between 1950 to 1965, besides the Houston Metropolitan Research Center? I'm looking to buy or borrow one from someone so I can match a few hundred names with addresses.

Thanks!

Ben,

I've seen old City Directories in the Julia Ideson Library downtown. Is that the same thing as the Metropolitan Research Center? It's been a few years since I've looked through them, but if I remember correctly, they were red books that had phone number listings that were sorted alphabetically by street name. I wish they would scan these documents onto a digital format and/or make the data available online.

Good luck!

Lovett19

The historical library downtown has a lot of information. It is in the old building (look for the one that is decidedly NOT modern).

You'll go there, sit down, and ask for help. They'll bring you the records.

They even have books containing census data for each residence from whenever. It is interesting to see who lived where you live when.

Rice has 'em but stored offsite, and you have to request them 24 hours in advance. You also have to have a Rice library card. I wonder, though, if UH has a similar collection, and if you can get to it easier?

Actually, if I really wanted one for my very own I would look at antique flea-market kind of places and I would expect to have to do a lot of looking. Are there even still any out-of-print book shops like Detering Book Gallery?

Not within the 1950-65 timeframe, but someone else might be interested in this set of 1974 directories on eBay:

1974 Polks Houston City Directory

Many antiquarian book shops have either closed up or migrated to the net - not sure where else you'd run across old city directories, maybe an antique shop (I spotted quite a few old bound volumes of the Houston Post at an antique shop on 19th St. several years ago)? I just did a search at abebooks.com but didn't turn up any Houston directories there.

Archived