HAIF - Houston's original social media

Great New Historic Houston Photos Online

Is the Christie's photo looking North or South on Main? What is the nearest cross street? I don't recognize anything in the photo that would provide me with a visual reference, but then again, it may all be gone.

Christies was at 6703 South Main, a bit north of Holcombe.

What's the squatty building with the dome in the upper left corner of this (1946) picture?

Not sure what that building was - will have to look through a directory if I can get an approximate address. It appears to be right around where Discovery Green is now (5 blocks east/1 block north of Stowers or so - McKinney/Crawford area like tmariar mentioned).

I'm coming to this thread a little late in the game but thank you for posting that beautiful photo of Market Square. Why why why did they tear this down??

The old Market Square would be a huge draw today as would Westbury Square. Isn't it funny how we are reverting back to that type of shopping/entertainment areas.

Actually there is still a Christie's at that location. I guess what I'm asking is.....is that the same location as in this old picture? If so, it's an interesting look at what Westheimer looked like.

That would not be Westheimer. As I understand, the Galleria area was pastureland until the Weingarten's (Container Store) and the mall were built.

The old Market Square would be a huge draw today as would Westbury Square. Isn't it funny how we are reverting back to that type of shopping/entertainment areas.

Oh yeah! Westbury Square was awesome! I visited the ruins a few years ago and took some pictures. It was very sad. But oddly enough, there were still a few businesses there!

Agree with Lunatic...just down there last week and the area is undergoing a bit of a Renaissance with Minute Maid and other venues popping up...Westbury's area is still in a transition so it may take longer especially with newer, larger stores so close...Christie's pictured is the now late/defunct S.Main location ( Oh those trout sandwiches)

I am so curious to know who designed that Bus Center? Appears to be one of Nicholas J. Clayton's works of Galveston mansions/cathedrals fame. Appears Romanesque Revival or Gothic Victorian like.

Imagine what it must have been like to walk around inside and what about the interior arts wroks or murals. Wow, wow, wow. :)

What's the squatty building with the dome in the upper left corner of this (1946) picture?

Beth Israel synagogue. It was at Crawford and Lamar.

San Felipe Courts/Allen Parkway Village

Is that the Music Hall and Coliseum on the left in the photo.

Yep. What is interesting is that there appear to be shotgun houses on Heiner across from the Sabine Street bridge. Is Buffalo Drive being widened in this?

Here's another 1946 aerial of downtown to complement the one above.

And another.

Another.

A photo of the intersection of Main and McKinney. The empty lot is where the First Presbyterian church (in the background in this Carnegie Library postcard) had stood - it was destroyed by fire in 1932.

A shot looking over the Foley Bros. construction site, and up the 1100 block toward the bayou.

Area around Sam Houston statue.

Area around the (then) new Navy Hospital.

Another 1946 aerial, of a subdivision I can't identify.

Ditto.

Unidentified street/houses.

House/insurance company.

Stretch of ship channel with some residential.

There are a bunch more than what I've posted here, so y'all should look for yourselves. There are so many different random shots - like Jesse Jones and Glenn McCarthy playing cards - the scope is nearly as broad as the Bob Bailey collection.

Thanks. That was my guess, but others know way more about Playland Park than I do.

I enjoyed seeing these photos, especially the one of the old Naval Hospital. I think it had already become a VA hospital when I was a kid in Houston in the late 50's/early 60's. I vaguely recall that it was located to the east of TMC on/along Holcombe. I wonder if any part of this magnificant old structure still exists today?

Thanks for sharing!

I enjoyed seeing these photos, especially the one of the old Naval Hospital. I think it had already become a VA hospital when I was a kid in Houston in the late 50's/early 60's. I vaguely recall that it was located to the east of TMC on/along Holcombe. I wonder if any part of this magnificant old structure still exists today?

There are some more images here, and I think I saw a copy of the 1949 postcard just now on ebay. The hospital changed to the VA hospital in 1948. Someone else will know more than I do about what happened to the buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

20'sgirl....unfortunately or for us Westbury residents, fortunately it appears the remnants of Westbury Square may be leaving us soon. Last nite when I was driving home I noticed that the power had been cut to the entire set of buildings along W. Bellfort. I do not believe there is any activity currently takign place businesswise or residentwise in the square.

Thank goodness for Ike, he might have finally gotten rid of the eyesore.

Not sure, but pretty sure the GRB is there now.
Wasn't there a Christie's on Bellaire Blvd? In the early eighties, my family would go there quite a bit and I could have sworn it was Christie's. I think it was near Bellaire and Renwick, but can't be sure. Anybody have any ideas?

Yes there was one on Bellaire near the area you mentioned during that time period...a bit further west at Bellaire and Hillcroft was the giant GLOBE store and Sharpstown Drive In

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I don’t know how I missed this thread when it was posted originally. I love old photos like these.

A couple of questions were asked but not answered about Christie’s. The photo with the frying pan sign would have been the east side of the restaurant. The west side had a sign on the side of the building saying, “We serve pizza pie”.

The Christie’s on Westheimer was the same family I am sure. As a small kid I was fascinated the posters of the different types of salt-water fish. The same posters were at the Westheimer restaurant. And they served the same fish salad at the newer place as they did at the South Main location.

As to the monorail, I was so excited to see photos of the interior of the car. It was exactly as I remembered it. The whole structure was dismantled, probably in ’56 or ’57, and then reassembled at the fairground in Dallas. That’s where I rode it. I didn’t know until a few years ago that the two monorails were one and the same.

My computer won’t let me use the posting functions for some reason, so I can’t link the pages, but some of the Life photos are of “Harmon Park”. What you hear is what you print, I suppose. Few people know this, but George Hermann actually pronounced his name as “Harmon”.