Your best/most favorite date places in Houston

lockmat

Where have you had your most favorite dates(while single OR married) in Houston? Of course the company is what makes it great, but what restaurants, activities etc made it even more special or interesting?

I'm looking for ideas. I can only go to the menil and the park across the street so many times.

These don't have to be first-date type places either. They can be great places to go talk, hang out, people watch etc. that you've been to with someone you're comfortable with and is just a good place/activity to enjoy.

I think this could be interesting...

I had a first date at the Chocolate Bar on W.Alabama and it was the best first date I've ever had (we went there after dinner). The company was of course great, but we got to sample candy, laugh all all the crazy things dipped in chocolate, and then sit down and have a huge slice of cake and play a boardgame. I don't know if that's the type of thing you are going for, but it was really fun to me

I had a first date at the Chocolate Bar on W.Alabama and it was the best first date I've ever had (we went there after dinner). The company was of course great, but we got to sample candy, laugh all all the crazy things dipped in chocolate, and then sit down and have a huge slice of cake and play a boardgame. I don't know if that's the type of thing you are going for, but it was really fun to me

Sounds like a fun idea. I not only want these for myself, but just interested to hear in general what people have to say :)

They're good to hear especially since I'm not really familiar with lesser known places a Houstonian-by- address would know.

Always used to leave Houston and head to Kemah area (when it was not so crowded) and end up in Galveston somehow. Totally unplanned of course :blush:

It always depends on the personality of the lady of course. A guy must be flexible in doing what she says!Just don't brag about yourself nor be arrogant. Thats a real turn off.

Always used to leave Houston and head to Kemah area (when it was not so crowded) and end up in Galveston somehow. Totally unplanned of course :blush:

I'm down for places outside the loop, too.

It always depends on the personality of the lady of course. A guy must be flexible in doing what she says!Just don't brag about yourself nor be arrogant. Thats a real turn off.

I'm always down for what she wants to do first, but when she's the same way and all she cares about is the company, someone has to make a decision :)

Yes I hate when the guy doesn't have plans for us, or you get caught in that "what do you wanna do?" "I dunno, what do you want to do?" convo! I just remembered another first date that was awesome...we went to the River Oaks theatre to see the midnight viewing of Rocky Horror Picture Show and we had a blast! The audience really gets vocal and it's fun

The zoo is always fun, especially on a weekday when it's empty. Hermann Park is a nice walk too when the weather is good. And Miller Outdoor Theater has some good free concerts at night. And the Houston Garden Center has a beautiful rose garden to walk through - when they're blooming.

(Can you tell I lived in the Med Center for years?) :lol:

The zoo is always fun, especially on a weekday when it's empty. Hermann Park is a nice walk too when the weather is good. And Miller Outdoor Theater has some good free concerts at night. And the Houston Garden Center has a beautiful rose garden to walk through - when they're blooming.

(Can you tell I lived in the Med Center for years?) :lol:

More good suggestions. Only problem with Miller Outdoor Theater is I've already created a memory there. Anyone else ever had that problem? No me gusta

Well, I haven't had a first date in twenty years. The last "first date" I had was to Houlihan's Old Place and the Loews Saks Twin to see _Planes, Trains, and Automobiles._ Married the lady a year and a week later. :)

But when I was single, my best first dates were at the Backstreet Cafe, Mario's Seawall in Galveston, and Broadway-type shows downtown. Also a few at Miller Outdoor Theatre. I heartily second the River Oaks Theatre idea, and the MFAH would be high on my list if I were looking today. If your partner likes Asian food I would be tempted by Bellaire Chinatown, too.

More good suggestions. Only problem with Miller Outdoor Theater is I've already created a memory there. Anyone else ever had that problem? No me gusta

I was with my high school and college girlfriend off and on for seven years. Pathetic, I know, but we enjoyed each other's company in spite of the problems. We went pretty much everywhere interesting in town over that time. The only solution is to create a better memory with a different person.

I was with my high school and college girlfriend off and on for seven years. Pathetic, I know, but we enjoyed each other's company in spite of the problems. We went pretty much everywhere interesting in town over that time. The only solution is to create a better memory with a different person.

True...

A friend told me about some nice restaurant next to the ship channel that's good for watching the ships come in and out. Anyone know the name? I'm sure there might be more than just a few. I bet Niche or musicman knows.

True...

A friend told me about some nice restaurant next to the ship channel that's good for watching the ships come in and out. Anyone know the name? I'm sure there might be more than just a few. I bet Niche or musicman knows.

i would imagine you are talking about Brady's Landing

http://www.bradyslandingrestaurant.com/

the food isn't top notch but it is definately and interesting place to dine

I used to take 'em too Willie G's on Post Oak back in the day. Worked like a charm, EVERYTIME !!! ;) Reason.... coziness, high backed booths that kind of encapsulate you so you two can focus on each other and the conversaton with no distractions. The place is only 20% of the equation, you gotta have game fr the rest. You could go eat thre and then it was just a short jaunt over to the Waterfall @ Williams tower.

concur with gnu's description....

i like the downtown mia bella myself. good food, vintage building, usually pretty good atmosphere.

I vote for Mia Bella too. Great place and seems to always have lots of activity.

I also like the tapas at Mi Luna in the Village.

my rule is anyplace where there are things happening around you to keep the conversation moving and where you could easily walk somewhere before or after.

The Remington is a great place to let is all hang out! That is when there is a LIVE singer and band. It has been rare that I found a girl that didnt care to dance... especially slow dancing. This is the best way to get your arms around her without here getting you in a choke hold for getting "fresh". :blush:

Mother nature and creativity take over from here on... :rolleyes:

Discovery Green on the weekend for people watching. Same for the Transco/Williams water wall or the Galleria ice rink. For a tasty, upscale meal in cool surroundings: Americas. If the weather's nice, a meal on the balcony at Artista, the restaurant at the new Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. It has a great view of a park and the downtown skyscraper skyline.

Yep, that's how it usually works for me. A roundabout trip to Galveston, usually including a nice meal somewhere along the way. I've got spots I like all over the Galveston Bay area, including places in downtown La Porte, Seabrook, Kemah, San Leon, Galveston, and Bolivar. I suspect many of them aren't in operation anymore, but I know that quite a few are already open again. There are two places close to town that are along the Ship Channel, but I don't recommend either of them because the quality of the food is underwhelming; one is Brady's Landing, the other is Monument Inn.

Suggested activities: a walk along the silty beach at Morgan's Point (beware of tsunamis), a trip down the Texas City Dike and along Skyline Dr. (the top of the levees), two dozen raw oysters when in season, a ride across to Bolivar, a late-night walk along a deserted beach--oil rigs noisily churning in the blackness, or a drive back to Houston via desolate roads that cut through the coastal prairie. A stopover at the park at Smith Point is a good 'rest stop', often ensuring that the couple doesn't get back into town until early the next morning.

I recommend that this be a weekday event. Too many people on a Friday or Saturday. I also recommend this as a second/third date itinerary. Some women don't like the sight or smell of refineries, or the taste of oysters--this segment of the female population is undatable and you'll need to weed them out.

Niche, great post! You're right, a lady who can't appreciate the beauties of our coastal regions is probably going to have other issues, too. Not so sure about the oysters, though. If that had been a criterion, my wife would have had to kick me to the curb early on. Funny, though, it reminds me of a buddy of mine who used to take his first dates to a hole in the wall restaurant in Chinatown with a bag of fresh raw shrimp in hand. The Chinese proprietors would prepare the shrimp in some inscrutable, chitinous, exotic way which left the heads and shells on, and a lady who was too squeamish to crunch implacably past the staring eyes and waving antennae would not make the cut.

He was single a long time, though he is now happily married, the father of two, and perhaps the best online-matchup-service success story I've ever known.

Also, to amplify what I think you sorta implied: dark, desolate, and out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere will spook many a woman until she knows you a whole lot better. Best to stick to a little more populated areas at first.

Some women don't like the sight or smell of refineries, or the taste of oysters--this segment of the female population is undatable and you'll need to weed them out.

it's important to have standards. :D

There are a lof of uninspired guys out there thay could take some points from you, Niche. 'rest stop.'..... a nice way of putting it.

I've always been a fan of outdoor or sporty dates. Some of my best ones have been at the various festivals (Greek is this weekend, BTW) International Fest, etc.

The rodeo carnival is a good date. Rides are good! Promotes physical closeness if you're feeling awkward going there. Bicyling around dowtown on the weekends was also a favorite (especially riding the parking garages). Shopping doesn't sound like fun, but if you have a shared passion for, say, a type of music, you can spend a great day hitting all the indy shops. When me and my BF were seeing each other the first time around, these were always great days together. Now that we have Discovery Green, if I were dating I'd be going there for the outdoor movies.

I love Discovery Green. The Grove has that great patio on top with a fantastic view of Houston. Another good date place.

There is going to be one helluva show tomorrow evening at 7:00! Professional flamenco dancing and more. All for free. :)

Also, to amplify what I think you sorta implied: dark, desolate, and out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere will spook many a woman until she knows you a whole lot better. Best to stick to a little more populated areas at first.

This is not a first date itinerary. But going on the 2nd or 3rd (and not being a jackass up to this point, obviously) allows for slight initial fear--not enough for the woman to raise an objection--and then cements trust when you don't do anything overtly disrespectful, much less sociopathic.

Besides, even though I myself cannot help but be a kind gentleman from force of habit, I've observed that superficial danger elicits positive outcomes.

it's important to have standards. :D

There are a lof of uninspired guys out there thay could take some points from you, Niche. 'rest stop.'..... a nice way of putting it.

I've always been a fan of outdoor or sporty dates. Some of my best ones have been at the various festivals (Greek is this weekend, BTW) International Fest, etc.

The rodeo carnival is a good date. Rides are good! Promotes physical closeness if you're feeling awkward going there. Bicyling around dowtown on the weekends was also a favorite (especially riding the parking garages). Shopping doesn't sound like fun, but if you have a shared passion for, say, a type of music, you can spend a great day hitting all the indy shops. When me and my BF were seeing each other the first time around, these were always great days together. Now that we have Discovery Green, if I were dating I'd be going there for the outdoor movies.

I did the Greek fest on a date once. It was a tad bit cheesy, but on account of that most folks aren't experts on Greek food or wine, it places both people into a situation where they have to explore and try new things. It's a very appropriate event for a first or second date.

Does anyone make dinners for their dates? That is, cook a meal - at your place or their place? And what date is it appropriate to do such a thing? Second? Third? Fourth?

Absolutely. But third or fourth date at the earliest, usually, and always at my place.

Although not once did a date ever cook dinner for me. I used to hope I'd meet some guy who was good cook, but after a while just gave up.

Archived