What Are The Worst/bes Local Ads You Can Think Of?

BayouCityGirl

And who can forget those old Soundwaves ads:

Two very buxom girls are bemoaning their lack of money.

"I'm FLAT BUSTED!" one moans (tight shot of cleavage)

So they steal their boyfriends' CDs and sell 'em at Soundwaves.

Such nice girls!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was at a festival once where Charmin sponsored the Port-a-potties.  Except that instead of individual johns, it was a tractor trailer divided into 20 individual bathrooms complete with running water, wallpaper, sinks and mirrors, and all the Charmin you could use.  They were the cleanest temporary toilets I ever used.  After each person would come out, a team of cleaners would sanitize the place, it would be inspected, and then the next person would be allowed into his or her own personal throne room.

It was free, but each stall had a little flat screen monitor playing an endless loop of Charmin bear commericals.  I had no idea there were so many.  I was in there for at least 10 minutes, and it never looped.  Who knew?

LOL!!! Too funny!!

oh man y'all bring back memories with some of these older ads :)

"Who wears short shorts!" -the Gallery Furniture ad :P

sorry I am WAY overtired and don't know what I'm talking about...so sorry!

I hate the Suit Mart commercials... and the little hand thingie at the end. I like the old Toyota one that showed our Skyline at dusk, and the lights where turning on, on all the buildings (Toyota Power Team?). I also hate the I-Pod commercials, all those kids dancing, gets annoying. And I mean, its the same moves, just differnt people, and thats not the way to dance to that, so yah. I could deal with out the old song remixes of Applebees, eatin' good in the neighborhood. But there newest one, the one with the pretty girl named "Sarah" and she is suppose to eat with the old lady next door, is so sweet. :) lol. I hate the Smith and Hassler commercials as well, everytime there name is mentioned, like thunder (but some cheap noise) and they all like jump at it. Thats SO annoying. I like the "Business Is beautiful" commercial by (Sprint?) that seems like fun.And the E-bay Commercials, the only commercial that I like, that breaks out annonomously in song. (WHOOM WHOOM WHOOOM WHOOM WHOOM WHOOOOOOOOM!!) sorry, thats so awesome. I like the Boeing commercials, they don't show them too much anymore, but I like the music, and the boeing logo. Very Smart, formal, and direct. (Very German.) And the Metro Commericals (2,000,000 in 20 years, Metro is prepared) or whatever. Those where cool, expecially with the L-rail in the background. Made them look bad@$$.

AAAAHHHH! I just remembered the HORRIBLE blockbuster "flip it" card. I want to shoot myself everytime I see them, "Flip it" haha... where so cool, where spending out weekends and money on some silly card, that you CAN FLIP! BUt wait, couldn't we do that ANYWAYS with our other cards?!? Gosh, and that dude in the basket ball jearsy dancing at the end. Trying to appeal to the yougner crowd. I doubt that boosted sales, I hate that commercial with a passion..........

How about those mazda Commercials?  ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

I love the Mitsubishi ads though! When they played old songs at one time! I forgot which one I remember but I Do remeber posting on a board and getting ahold of one of the "actors" from the commerical! :)

The guy was awesome and persuaded me to go to L.A. but I wish I could have at the time!

Some of these commericals I don't recall..Suitmart I do'nt think I have seen.

One of my fav. Oldies was: Denny's with the old women and one of them couldn't say "Denny's" she always said "Lenny's" or something (Lenny's..no...Denny's)

I love the EBAY commericals with song too! :) (especially the guy singing it)

I love the Citibank ads! (the one with the lady in the grocery store and the other lady thinks she's pregnant) -the power of a thank you-

There's this one local ad where the company doctor tells all of his patients "Back to work" until one of them says "Doctor, he's dead." The doctor replies "Light duty." That commercial is so bad it's funny.

lol My friends and I used to re-enact that commercial. It's sooooo stupid and hilarious.

I also hate those commercials for Sussan Furniture. They're so cheesy, OMG. And also that one for like Henderson Chevrolet, where at the end this ugly fat guy goes "And you have a great day". Also for those car dealerships in Texas City (I forgot the name) where this old woman with a thick Southern accent is the mother of the three men who own the dealerships. SOOO ANNOYING.

i remember a ridiculous rodney d. young commercial with some moron running around dressed like a caveman. also an urban cowgirl for thunderbolt, whose big caddy breaks down/gets fixed to the tune of "we put the yeeeehaaaa in your motor and transmission". when i was a kid there was a commercial for LAW1000, just an announcer saying "divorce, bankruptcy, call LAW-1000". i seem to remember that was when attorneys started advertising on tv. there was a real creepy commercial for a restaurant/cantina called the blue agave', with a female lounge lizard singing "just follow me - to the blue agave" and then she would repeat "the blue agave' while her voice went lower and lower until she was no longer singing but speaking in a weird monotone. probably a lot more i've successfully blocked out of my mind until i read this thread. now i'll have to get them all out of my system all over again.

debmartin

i remember a ridiculous rodney d. young commercial with some moron running around dressed like a caveman.  also an urban cowgirl for thunderbolt, whose big caddy breaks down/gets fixed to the tune of "we put the yeeeehaaaa in your motor and transmission".  when i was a kid there was a commercial for LAW1000, just an announcer saying "divorce, bankruptcy, call LAW-1000".  i seem to remember that was when attorneys started advertising on tv.  there was a real creepy commercial for a restaurant/cantina called the blue agave', with a female lounge lizard singing "just follow me - to the blue agave" and then she would repeat "the blue agave' while her voice went lower and lower until she was no longer singing but speaking in a weird monotone.  probably a lot more i've successfully blocked out of my mind until i read this thread.  now i'll have to get them all out of my system all over again.

debmartin

I wonder if that's the same Blue Agave that was on West Gray. It's called World Cafe or something now.

i remember a ridiculous rodney d. young commercial with some moron running around dressed like a caveman.  also an urban cowgirl for thunderbolt, whose big caddy breaks down/gets fixed to the tune of "we put the yeeeehaaaa in your motor and transmission".  when i was a kid there was a commercial for LAW1000, just an announcer saying "divorce, bankruptcy, call LAW-1000".  i seem to remember that was when attorneys started advertising on tv.  there was a real creepy commercial for a restaurant/cantina called the blue agave', with a female lounge lizard singing "just follow me - to the blue agave" and then she would repeat "the blue agave' while her voice went lower and lower until she was no longer singing but speaking in a weird monotone.  probably a lot more i've successfully blocked out of my mind until i read this thread.  now i'll have to get them all out of my system all over again.

debmartin

I remeber the one with the woman in a Caddy! She was struggling to make it work and the car wouldn't work so a fat guy comes up to her and says "What's wrong...so and so...and she said "my transmission won't work" (and they go into the commerical)

Wow you have a good memory! LOL!

"Wow you have a good memory! LOL!" (quote, BayouCityGirl)

that's one way of putting it, better than the fact that i've been around awhile. being a native houstonian and having a good memory, i remember quite a few cheesy commercials even when i was a kid in the late 70's. one of them drove me crazy because my brother used to follow me around screaming it. it was from a fish store called aquarama and the announcer screamed "A-Q-U-A-R-A-M-A!" over and over.

debmartin

Oh god the guy from Lone Star chevy... the sheriff? pft, god...

The Car dealer commercial, with the owner, his wife, and daughter, and DOG! (The Pincher), and like at the end, the daughter would walk out, where there last name was in 2 story letters, and they would say right (Forgot the dogs name...)? Gosh, we get it, your family is perfect, so your service must be no less...

HEY HEY HEY Buyright funiture! (shivers)

The Cantoni ones, please... I hate that voice, its errie.

PLANET FORD (Demond Voice) Thats a winner... not...

I can't get any others off the top of my head....

Hey, Hey, Hey!

Good lord, how I hate that commercial.

It's memorable, I'll give him that.

Makes you wonder what was the starting trend for bad commercials.  Was it Thunderbolt or Gallery furniture?

Ricco

Biright furniture! Where the beanbags are!

(or whoever that guy was dressed like a "beanbag")

Gallery Furniture (before area codes) 6 9 4...5 5 7 0 !

;)

catchy and funny I remember it! LOL!

Biright furniture! Where the beanbags are!

(or whoever that guy was dressed like a "beanbag")

Gallery Furniture (before area codes) 6 9 4...5 5 7 0 !

;)

catchy and funny I remember it! LOL!

And have you ever driven past and seen that pile of old, wet, smelly beanbags under their sign? Yeah, that makes me want to buy stuff from them.

And have you ever driven past and seen that pile of old, wet, smelly beanbags under their sign?  Yeah, that makes me want to buy stuff from them.

LOL!! I don't even know where the place is but I think I have seen them once or twice. Why buy beanbags from him? I can go to Target for $20 and get them! LOL!

How about the superbowl ad "welcome the visitors to Houston" that was soo cheesy!

Hi, can you tell me where the stadium is?

sure!

I just got a new job!

Really? tell me about it!...

How about the superbowl ad "welcome the visitors to Houston"  that was soo cheesy! 

Hi, can you tell me where the stadium is?

sure!

I just got a new job!

Really?  tell me about it!...

Anyone like the new lightrail ads (where the officer tells you how the track works and the rules of not playing around the train!) -how many takes did that take until he got that right?

If yer transmissions got yew down

or yer motor falls apart,

its the time to come to THUNDERBOLT-

Yew don't need a bran new car!

We still believe in value

and we pass it on to yew-

At THUNDERBOLT we fix it rite

and we guarantee it too!

We Put The Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Back In Yer Motor and Transmission!

They have had several versions of this commercial but none compare to the original. They still show it and also their latest which is an accurate update of the original with a similar 1976 Eldorado convertible. I think they show a cell phone in the new one.

That girl must have driven the heck out of that first 76 Eldo as she was in there having it rebuilt in 1977 when that commercial first came out. I always thought that was a bit unrealistic but I guess they wanted to use the most glamorous car they could find. The Houston Rodeo used that car or one just like it for 20 or more years in the opening and to deliver the singer to the stage and then to parade them around The Dome after their performance. That was the 'last' year of production for the convertible in the USA so they could not get a newer model.

Archived