America's Favorite Cities

From AOL Travel & Leisure:

URL=http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/]AFC - America's Favorite Cities website

I came across the poll results from March 2004, but cannot find this year's. Anyone know where I can find them?

I wasn't on here a year ago, so I don't know if the 2004 poll results were posted or not. Why the crap is Houston the "worst" on so many things? Houston "worst" in the spring time? I love Houston in the spring. Is it the way too early summer-like heat?

Here they are anyway:

WHICH CITIES DO AMERICANS LIKE TO VISIT MOST?

Travel + Leisure Magazine / AOL Travel "America's Favorite Cities" Poll 2004 Reveals Which Cities Americans Think Are Best for: Honeymoons, Dining Out, Shopping, People-Watching, and More

Nashville Residents Selected as the Friendliest People

Houston Voted as the Worst for People-Watching

Twin Cities Rated the Cleanest

New York, NY (March 22, 2004) - Travel + Leisure Magazine and America Online today announced the results of the third annual "America's Favorite Cities" Survey. Travel + Leisure magazine and AOL's Travel Channel conducted an online survey of nearly half a million AOL members to find out what travelers think about twenty-five American cities: Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Juan, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tampa/St. Petersburg, and Washington, DC. Participants voted on cities they lived in or had traveled to in a variety of categories. Results of the survey will be featured in Travel + Leisure magazine's April issue, online at travelandleisure.com/afc and at AOL Keyword: Travel Survey.

Travel + Leisure MAGAZINE / AOL TRAVEL AMERICA'S FAVORITE CITIES SURVEY 2004 HIGHLIGHTS*:

CITIES WITH THE FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE

1) Nashville

2) Honolulu

3) San Antonio

LEAST: Los Angeles

TOP CITIES FOR HONEYMOONS

1) Honolulu

2) San Juan, Puerto Rico

3) San Francisco

WORST: Houston

TOP CITIES FOR PEOPLE-WATCHING

1) Las Vegas

2) New Orleans

3) New York

CITIES WITH THE MOST ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE

1) San Diego

2) Honolulu

3) San Francisco

LEAST: Philadelphia

CITIES WITH THE MOST STYLISH PEOPLE

1) New York

2) San Francisco

3) Las Vegas

LEAST: Philadelphia

TOP CITIES FOR SHOPPING

1) New York

2) Chicago

3) San Francisco

WORST: Austin

TOP CITIES FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

1) Portland

2) Washington, DC

3) San Francisco

TOP CITIES TO VISIT IN SPRING

1) San Diego

2) Washington, DC

3) San Antonio

TOP CITIES FOR DINING OUT

1) New Orleans

2) San Francisco

3) New York

WORST: Austin

TOP CITIES FOR CLEANLINESS

1) Minneapolis/St. Paul

2) Honolulu

3) Portland

LEAST: New Orleans

TOP CITIES FOR PEACE + QUIET

1) Santa Fe

2) Portland

3) Minneapolis/St. Paul

WORST: New York

TOP CITIES FOR HISTORICAL SITES + MONUMENTS

1) Washington, DC

2) Boston

3) Philadelphia

WORST: Las Vegas

*Results highlighted here are according to visitors to the city, not locals.

Methodology: Respondents rated the cities of their choice on specific characteristics using a scale of 1 to 5, and identified themselves as natives of or travelers to the city rated. Rankings are based on the average scores of results from travelers only. For full survey methodology, go to www.travelandleisure.com/afc.

# # #

The world's leading travel magazine, Travel + Leisure is the source for consumers who make travel their quest in life. Travel + Leisure is the authority, setting trends, and motivating readers. Getting there first, Travel + Leisure is the catalyst for what's next. Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, Departures, Travel + Leisure Golf, and Travel + Leisure Family magazines are part of the American Express Publishing Corporation, a subsidiary of the American Express Company and managed by Time, Inc. The company also publishes SkyGuide and a variety of cooking, travel, wine, time management, and financial books and products, and has a custom publishing group.

About America Online

America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner, Inc. Based in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive services, Web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.

Contacts:

So what other people think about houston, or ranked. We know what houston has, and the ranking don't mean nothing. Example, just like a #1 team plays the wrost team in the league. That wrost team will outdo that #1 team, cause they overrated. Some of those cities with high ranking is overrated.

So I say, I don't care what they think. Houston is the 4th largest city, and will continue to grow.

This is flat out retarted. Since moving here I love the spring time, Azaleas are blooming, the air is mainly clear and theres a great energy in the air etc etc.

As I beat like a dead horse, I travel alot and I can tell you in my experiences most people really like Houston for alot of reasons. Makes you wonder why so many out of town athletes make this city home and it's not just because of the no state income tax thing.

The thing that gets me the most down here (& on the East coast) is what a big deal people make about people watching and mass transit. The largest mass transit system in the country (NY) was dead last in commute time and if you want to people watch go downtown on a Saturday night.

I don't know maybe I'm imagining things but as I've said consistantly, Houston is a great city in many unique ways. Screw these stupid polls.

They should another category " Best city for car-watching". I am sure Houston would be number one. Well, to some extent, I am not that surprised with the honor of "worst city for people-watching" as Houston is the fattest city in the nation after all! Besides, we all know there arent many pedestrain-oriented places in this town.

Also, I am sure they didnt consider freeway system as part of public transport system or else Houston wouldn't be worst as its freeways are much better than many other cities. However, to be honest, Houston does lack an extensive and efficient mass transportation system which is seriously needed for a city of its size. Hopefully, ligh rail system could improve our ranking in this category.

As for worst city in Spring, that's flat-out nonsense! Have they forgotten cities like Detroit and other in the midwest where the snow doesnt even melt until summer?!? This is my first spring in Houston and I have found many parts of the city have turned beautiful. The greenary is back and wild flowers are popping up everywhere.

Also, about being the worst city for honeymoon, Houston surely isnt an ideal destination for honeymoons. However, is it really the worst? What happened to Detroit, Jacksonville, Albuquerque and the like? What do they to offer honeymooners that make them better than Houston

the ranking don't mean nothing. 

So I say, I don't care what they think. Houston is the 4th largest city

So, then, ranking does or does not mean nothing? I'm confused.

Of the cities being ranked, I've enjoyed Springtime in Austin, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Nashville, New York, San Antonio, San Diego and San Francisco and would never consider Houston to be the worst.

Archived