Echo Lane Shopping Center At 9313 Katy Fwy.

blueskies

Has anyone been to the Kroger at Echo Lane? It is really needing to be remodeled. After hurricane Ike, they had a sewage smell in the freezer section that stayed there for weeks.

Do any of you think that Kroger will remodel anytime soon now that HEB is open on Bunker Hill?

I live very close to it, but HEB now has my business unless Kroger makes any changes. I feel kind of bad though considering I've gone there for many years.

Has anyone been to the Kroger at Echo Lane? It is really needing to be remodeled. After hurricane Ike, they had a sewage smell in the freezer section that stayed there for weeks.

Do any of you think that Kroger will remodel anytime soon now that HEB is open on Bunker Hill?

I live very close to it, but HEB now has my business unless Kroger makes any changes. I feel kind of bad though considering I've gone there for many years.

I think Kroger is on its last legs. I have not been to Kroger on Echo Lane in a long time. I would rather drive to Whole Foods or Randalls before I go in that store. It is just never really that clean nor does it have decent produce.

The Kroger on Hammerly and Long Point is in the same boat. Hasn't been updated in ages. Their produce and dairy departments are terrible. I think they might stay open though because many people who live in the apartments walk there. I'm wondering if they will close the HEB on Gessner and Kempwood. It's pretty crappy as well.

The new Bunker Hill HEB is awesome!

i don't see kroger surviving, which is too bad as that will leave two abandoned grocery stores withing a few hundred yards of each other.

Kroger in West Memorial is terrible as well.

BUT, the one on San Felipe and Voss still remains one of my favorite generic stores. I go over there and shop often after school drop off. Better produce and cleaning supllies than the T&C Randall's. I've never been a fan of HEB, so I don't go out of my way for it.

• 2 weeks later...
The Kroger on Hammerly and Long Point is in the same boat. Hasn't been updated in ages. Their produce and dairy departments are terrible. I think they might stay open though because many people who live in the apartments walk there. I'm wondering if they will close the HEB on Gessner and Kempwood. It's pretty crappy as well.

The new Bunker Hill HEB is awesome!

We must live near each other because I shop at these stores too. Remember when the Kempwood HEB first opened it was so different than it is now. It was more upscale like the Albertsons it replaced. They have even removed about half of the produce section and put in palates of stuff like cereal and soft drinks in its place. As for the Kroger, it used to be an Apple Tree ages ago so it has a unique floor plan. I never buy meat there but I have bought milk etc. But if you really want to go ghetto, try the WalMart Neighborhood store. I do most of my shopping there only because its the cheapest, so when I go to HEB or Kroger I feel like I'm going upscale!

We must live near each other because I shop at these stores too. Remember when the Kempwood HEB first opened it was so different than it is now. It was more upscale like the Albertsons it replaced. They have even removed about half of the produce section and put in palates of stuff like cereal and soft drinks in its place. As for the Kroger, it used to be an Apple Tree ages ago so it has a unique floor plan. I never buy meat there but I have bought milk etc. But if you really want to go ghetto, try the WalMart Neighborhood store. I do most of my shopping there only because its the cheapest, so when I go to HEB or Kroger I feel like I'm going upscale!

Yeah, we probably do live near each other. =)

I agree about the Kempwood HEB. I used to shop there when it was Albertson's and continued when it became HEB. About a year ago, I started doing my shopping at the HEB on Fountainview after my weekend workouts at Memorial Park. I haven't gone to that Walmart in ages but I remember not liking it because they don't have any fresh food. It's all bagged, ready-to-eat stuff with tons of sodium, etc. Which is OK if you have a big family and not much time I guess.

Anyway, I can't wait for the novelty of the new HEB to wear off so it won't be so crowded. ;-) And it's really not that bad if you go during the off hours. I'm just so happy to have a good supermarket in the area with good fresh food and produce. I haven't tried their sushi yet (I'm currently pregnant) but will once junior comes out.

Kroger in West Memorial is terrible as well.

I believe we've commisserated about this before. :lol: I'm constantly surprised that this Kroger remains in business with three very nice grocery stores (and one awesome organic food store -- Sandy's) also in the immediate area. Like the Kroger at Hammerly and Long Point, the one on Memorial only seems to serve the people who walk there from the shady apartments directly behind it. Wouldn't be any great loss to see it go.

Krogers in general just seem to have given up. It's too depressing to even try and shop in one anymore. :(

If I have time, I will drive to the new HEB and go past the Kroger at 11th & Shepherd just to get there. That is how much I like it. The Villages Kroger is a bit better than most other Krogers in town, but it doesn't compare at all to the new HEB. I would not be surprised to see it gone soon.

It also doesn't hurt that it's directly across the street from Costco and I can do everything in one trip if I move fast enough.

It is actually kind of sad that Kroger does not realize what a great store this could have been. The location alone is a prime advantage for Kroger. I just do not see long term that Kroger would be able to keep this store open with the new competition. I know that Whole Foods on Woodway is closing in 2010. For those on the west side of town, the only other Whole Foods in on Wilcrest and Westheimer. Would be nice to have one close.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe we've commisserated about this before. :lol: I'm constantly surprised that this Kroger remains in business with three very nice grocery stores (and one awesome organic food store -- Sandy's) also in the immediate area. Like the Kroger at Hammerly and Long Point, the one on Memorial only seems to serve the people who walk there from the shady apartments directly behind it. Wouldn't be any great loss to see it go.

Krogers in general just seem to have given up. It's too depressing to even try and shop in one anymore. :(

The Krogers on Eldridge/Briar Forest is much nicer - and open for 24 hours (unlike any of the ones on Memorial).

This is odd, beacause all of the Kroger's out in my neck of the woods are awsome, and the HEB's are the one's that suck. (well except for the new one on FM 646). There must be some kind of regional or district managmnet that allows this to go on.

I've never been in the Echo Ln. Kroger, but I'm sure Kroger as a whole is here to stay.

• 4 weeks later...
i don't see kroger surviving, which is too bad as that will leave two abandoned grocery stores withing a few hundred yards of each other.

There a First Community Credit Union location inside of that Echo Lane Kroger, and FCCU has just notified its members that they are closing that branch in there effective February 28, 2009.

I'm wondering if they didn't renew their lease due to Kroger's impending demise there too?

• The title was changed to Echo Lane Shopping Center
  • The title was changed to Echo Lane Shopping Center At 9313 Katy Fwy.

Archived