Sirius XM merged channel lineup

editor

So, the merged Sirius/XM channel list is out. Here's the list in PDF form. For money reasons, I no longer have my satellite radio service (anyone want to buy my radio?), and looking through the combined stations list, I don't feel like I'm missing too much.

• In newspaper ads Sirius XM is crowing about 69 music channels now. Didn't we used to have more?
  • There's still only three classical channels. Two if you discount the opera channel, which I do. I like classical. I hate opera. But when I started with Sirius there were five.
  • Spa73 survived the transition. I'm really surprised.
  • As if two Howard Stern channels wasn't ludicrous enough, there are now two Mad Dog Russo channels.
  • A showtunes channel AND a movie soundtrack channel?
  • From the look of the bottom right corner of the listing, NBA, NHL, PGA, and other sports play-by-play will require an extra fee, but NFL does not.
  • NPR requires an extra fee.
  • There's a book channel now -- that's kind of nice.

Dropped from Sirius:

• Movin' Easy
  • Punk
  • Sirius Disorder
  • The Strobe
  • Boombox
  • Backspin
  • Universo Latino

Dropped from XM:

• XM Sports Nation
  • The Weather Channel
  • XMX
  • X-Country
  • Fungus
  • Rhyme
  • Raw
  • Beyond Jazz
  • Fine Tuning
  • The System
  • Chrome
  • Viva
  • Aguila
  • Caricia

So far, I like the lineup changes. 40s on 4 is great, and they made the 50s channel the way I always thought it should be. Instead of playing mostly early 60s rock, they play all kinds of popular music from the 50s. I'll miss the punk channel, though.

What a major disappointment. I was expecting that sirius and xm would cross-connect their satellite systems so that you could hear the other company's line up on all xm and sirius radios, effectively doubling the number of channels. Line up doesn't really look that much different than what I had already with sirius, at least the channels I listen to.

No wonder sirius stock is in the toilet.

What a major disappointment. I was expecting that sirius and xm would cross-connect their satellite systems so that you could hear the other company's line up on all xm and sirius radios, effectively doubling the number of channels. Line up doesn't really look that much different than what I had already with sirius, at least the channels I listen to.

The technology doesn't work that way. Each company's satellites has a certain amount of bandwidth and that's already at capacity. They can't increase the number of channels on either receiver without increasing the compression (which is already way too aggressive IMHO).

I always liked XM's decades channels better than Sirius, but I had to have Sirius for Howard Stern. The merger did just what I wanted it to.

I just noticed today that all the channel names changed...that's going to take, like 20 minutes to get used to. I was/am XM. I liked Fine Tuning, random Celtic music is good stuff. Other than that, Fungus is the only channel I listened to on the XM dropped list.

Are you sure NFL isn't extra? Of all the ones out there I would think that would be the one to be extra, since more people will pay for it. I'll take it if they want to give it to me though.

Editor, what kind of radio do you have? In-dash or portable?

Editor, what kind of radio do you have? In-dash or portable?

Neither. Or both. Depending on how you look at it:

51TNMQRKY3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's a JVC KT-SR1000 (Amazon link for info). It can be put in your car, or in your home. Since I don't have a car, I have it with the plug-and-play home kit (Amazon link for info) which includes a power adapter, remote control, base station, and an antenna with a really really long cord. I never really used the antenna, though since there's a Sirius repeater on the roof of my building.

Until I hit Amazon to look for it just now I didn't realize they were still making these things and they're apparently in demand if the Amazon price is still that high. I think I'll put it on eBay and see if anything interesting happens.

I'm not thrilled with the change. For one, Sirius gutted the XM lineup. The list of discontinued stations that editor posted isn't truly complete. It leaves out the dozens of XM stations which were merged into existing Sirius stations that were similar, but not exactly the same. In many cases XM had a more extensive playlist and better programming director for many formats than what Sirius had. And in many of those cases, the XM playlist and programming director were cut in favor of what Sirius already had. So Lucy, which was an excellent 1990s alternative station was merged into Lithium, which plays that music, but also plays a lot of more modern music as well. Also gone are the bumps and on-air talent that made Lucy so unique. A similar situation exists with XM's X Country. The Sirius station isn't even close to the quality that X Country had.

In general my friends who were XM subscribers are not happy. But my friends who were Sirius subscribers are thrilled. The Sirius customers definitely got the better end of the deal.

And for us XM customers, we were treated as an afterthought by the new management. Want to know when XM subscribers were finally told what our new channel line up would be? It was well into the first day of the new lineup that my e-mail communication came. Sirius's management really blew this from a PR and customer service standpoint, and then they acted surprised when their call centers were flooded with calls from angry XM subscribers the day of the transition calling to cancel their accounts in protest.

I'm not thrilled with the change. For one, Sirius gutted the XM lineup. The list of discontinued stations that editor posted isn't truly complete. It leaves out the dozens of XM stations which were merged into existing Sirius stations that were similar, but not exactly the same. In many cases XM had a more extensive playlist and better programming director for many formats than what Sirius had. And in many of those cases, the XM playlist and programming director were cut in favor of what Sirius already had. So Lucy, which was an excellent 1990s alternative station was merged into Lithium, which plays that music, but also plays a lot of more modern music as well. Also gone are the bumps and on-air talent that made Lucy so unique. A similar situation exists with XM's X Country. The Sirius station isn't even close to the quality that X Country had.

In general my friends who were XM subscribers are not happy. But my friends who were Sirius subscribers are thrilled. The Sirius customers definitely got the better end of the deal.

And for us XM customers, we were treated as an afterthought by the new management. Want to know when XM subscribers were finally told what our new channel line up would be? It was well into the first day of the new lineup that my e-mail communication came. Sirius's management really blew this from a PR and customer service standpoint, and then they acted surprised when their call centers were flooded with calls from angry XM subscribers the day of the transition calling to cancel their accounts in protest.

Not really. I liked Area 38 better, on Sirius, before the merger. Just not the same. It really sucks now... maybe I should just switch to another satellite radio provider... oh wait. I can't do that now.

I'm not satisfied with the change. They merged most of the channels that I listened to and in the process, laid off just about all of the DJs and hosts of those channels. The programming on those channels is also substatially different than before, new bland playlists, etc...

On top of all of that, I also discovered that XM never gave me the 3 free months of service they promised me for registering during the holiday season last year during their big promotion.

I'm not satisfied with the change. They merged most of the channels that I listened to and in the process, laid off just about all of the DJs and hosts of those channels. The programming on those channels is also substatially different than before, new bland playlists, etc...

On top of all of that, I also discovered that XM never gave me the 3 free months of service they promised me for registering during the holiday season last year during their big promotion.

Pick up the phone and complain, they will more than likely kick in an extra month for the trouble. Their customer service is very accommodating when they screw up.

My only complaint is that they dropped the punk channel. I also can't believe they renamed left of center (channel 26) to "Sirius XMU". Lamest rename ever. At least Starplayr still works.

They may have been looking for a reason to drop the "Left of Center" brand since Viacom owns a very similar trademark for a college radio music service.

Well, they screwed up quite a few of the channels that I listened too and was a bit peeved. My channels were, 26, 40, and 49, with the occasional foray into 13 and 14.

26 and 49 has added a bit of variety, but the selection of songs and format I think are a bit on the lamer side. I have to agree, I think the XM subs got the short end of the stick.

Lovin' the Elvis channel.

I gotta stop doing the lip thing, though. I get funny looks in traffic.

Pick up the phone and complain, they will more than likely kick in an extra month for the trouble. Their customer service is very accommodating when they screw up.

I called and they credited my account for the 3 months of service they accidentally charged me for. I'm good to go now, except I'm still giving them my "suggestions" for the programming. I got some responses. I was complaining about the loss of the host and "Old School" show at "The Spirit", which plays the traditional gospel hits. I was told by the programming directors to check out another station instead that plays CCM and Southern Gospel. CCM, Southern Gospel, and Traditional Gospel, while all are Christian music, all have their own distinctive sound, and are sub genres within Christian music. To me, that's like telling a traditional jazz fan to go listen to the smooth jazz station instead. Everyone's quick to whine and cancel immediately because of this. I may cancel, but I'm going to give them a few more months. Apparently, some more programming changes will be made in January and who knows, I may get my wish. :rolleyes:

If you call and complain and threaten to cancel, you'll likely get anywhere from 3 to 6 months free right now.

After listening for a week longer, here are my thoughts:

XM 41 - used to be the boneyard, now HairNation. This channel is way worse than it was before. Some good songs, but so many that are crap and don't belong. And I haven't heard any more awesome Iron Maiden type stuff, it's all glam, less substance.

XM 46 - used to be TopTracks, now ClassicVinyl. This I think is about the same, but I think they are mixing in some elements that don't belong, like Elton John. Huh? No.

XM 49 - Used to be Big Tracks, now Classic Rewind (what does that mean?). I used to be able to sit on this channel for a while without coming across a song that makes me change it, now I can't go near as long. Might be due to the too-much-Aerosmith affect.

XM 54 - Used to be Lucy, now Lithium. This was an awesome channel with the best alternative hits from back in the day when alternative was good. Now there is way too much new crap mixed in that all sounds the same. Keep that shizzle on channel 47 and 48!!

XM 8 - I actually like this one better, I think. This one is more completely random though, since it isn't genre limited. So it may have something to do with my mood when listening to this channel lately, or maybe they are just playing Genesis/Phil Collins less (he sucks so much, don't even get me started).

And what happened to channel 77, audio visions? This was my anti-road rage channel. I could put it on and just relax during a 5 hour drive. Now it's not even there. Or am I on crack, anyone else know what happened to it? I know there is the Escape channel which I think is meant to be sort of the same, but it's more light jazz, and nothing kills my relaxation like retarded wussy vocals. I need a relaxing, instrumental channel, or people on the road are going to pay.

And what happened to channel 77, audio visions? This was my anti-road rage channel. I could put it on and just relax during a 5 hour drive. Now it's not even there. Or am I on crack, anyone else know what happened to it? I know there is the Escape channel which I think is meant to be sort of the same, but it's more light jazz, and nothing kills my relaxation like retarded wussy vocals. I need a relaxing, instrumental channel, or people on the road are going to pay.

I think the Sirius version of this was Spa73. Try around 73 and see if it survived or got merged with XM77.

From a Sirius perspective:

XM 46 - used to be TopTracks, now ClassicVinyl. This I think is about the same, but I think they are mixing in some elements that don't belong, like Elton John. Huh? No.

Elton John definitely belongs on ClassicVinyl. It's 70s album-oriented-rock.

XM 49 - Used to be Big Tracks, now Classic Rewind (what does that mean?).

It means "stuff that was played on AOR FM stations in the late 70s and early 80s". It's basically what happened to album-oriented-rock as it was dying.

XM 8 - I actually like this one better, I think. This one is more completely random though, since it isn't genre limited. So it may have something to do with my mood when listening to this channel lately, or maybe they are just playing Genesis/Phil Collins less (he sucks so much, don't even get me started).

Was this the 80s channel on XM? The 80s channel on Sirius got better after the merge.

I never listened to any of the other channels you mentioned. I'm loving the 40s channel. Today I heard Fats Waller's "Hold Tight", all about his love for "late night seafood".

I think the Sirius version of this was Spa73. Try around 73 and see if it survived or got merged with XM77.

I will check it out. In the mean time, pray for other drivers in Baton Rouge, Houston, and between.

Elton John definitely belongs on ClassicVinyl. It's 70s album-oriented-rock.

I just never considered Elton John rock or classic. Personal taste probably. I thought everyone was supposed to like exactly what I like, and dislike stuff the same way?

It means "stuff that was played on AOR FM stations in the late 70s and early 80s". It's basically what happened to album-oriented-rock as it was dying.

I kind of saw it before as the same stuff, but later than stuff on Top Tracks. I just don't want it to get to pop-y.

Was this the 80s channel on XM? The 80s channel on Sirius got better after the merge.

Yeah it was/is 80s on 8. Are they still going to do all the old top 40 countdowns? I think I heard a Rick Dees top 40 this week, but haven't heard the usual Casey Casem ones, or even commercials for those for that matter. Not that I could stand listening to an entire one of those, but I enjoyed flipping in and out based on the song, and remembering what was hot for the 3rd week of June in 1985.

Spa must be the replacement. My stereo autoprogrammed it into the preset I had for AudioVisions.

Spa must be the replacement. My stereo autoprogrammed it into the preset I had for AudioVisions.

Mine didn't, but it's an old radio that comes standard with Chevy stuff. I did check it out for a little bit, it appears that all you other drivers may be safe.

So up in this thread someone said NFL games will be free with XM, but from what I can tell it's the only sport that isn't there. But hey, instead you have your choice between both flavors of koolaid, America Left or America Right. Just in case you didn't get enough of that vomitous BS during the election fun times.

Mine didn't, but it's an old radio that comes standard with Chevy stuff. I did check it out for a little bit, it appears that all you other drivers may be safe.

So up in this thread someone said NFL games will be free with XM, but from what I can tell it's the only sport that isn't there. But hey, instead you have your choice between both flavors of koolaid, America Left or America Right. Just in case you didn't get enough of that vomitous BS during the election fun times.

The PDF lists channel 124 as NFL Radio in the upper right-hand corner.

Then in the lower right-hand corner lists NHL, NBA, Indycar and college sports separately. I think the chart is a little confusing. It appears to be written from the perspective of someone who already has Sirius. It should have been made to reflect the unified lineup.

I looked on the wikipedia and the charts there are a mess, too.

XM Chart

Sirius chart

XM 54 - Used to be Lucy, now Lithium. This was an awesome channel with the best alternative hits from back in the day when alternative was good. Now there is way too much new crap mixed in that all sounds the same. Keep that shizzle on channel 47 and 48!!

Lucy was one of my favorites on XM. I really miss it and haven't listened to channel 54 in the car nearly as much since the transition. The Sirius programming directors just don't get it. There was a reason that Lucy, Fred, and Ethel all existed on XM, even though there was some overlap of the playlists. Each one targeted a somewhat different listener, and each had a different personality. I really miss Lucy, as does my partner. We both bitch about it every time we're in the car together.

Archived