Chance to Recycle your old electronics

heights_yankee

On Saturday, November 15th, 2008 there will be a large electronics waste (e-waste) collection event!!

The greatest thing about this event is that it is open to the public and it is free, free, free!! Usually there is a fee attached to the recycling of electronics, which subsequently defers people from properly disposing of their electronics.

The locations for the event are:

-Space Center Houston Parking Lot, 1601 NASA Pkwy, Houston, TX 77058

-Reliant Park-8299 Kirby Dr., Houston, TX 77054

-Humble Civic Center-8233 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble, TX 77338

-Montgomery County Precinct 3 Recycling-1122 Pruitt Road, Spring, TX 77380

Saturday, November 15th, 2008

10:00 am-4:00 pm

Accepted materials include:

Computer Equipment

Servers/mainframes

Printers/Plotters

Cables/cords

Copiers

Hard Drives

Power Supplies

UPS

Audio Visual Equipment

TV's

Laptops

Hubs/routers/Switches

Cellular Phones Equipment

Consumer Electronics

Phone Equipment

Memory Chips/RAM

Point of Sale Devices

Tape Drives

Communication Equipment

Telephone Equipment

Monitors/LCDs

Storage Devices

Fax Machines

Peripherals

Processor Chips

Circuit Boards

Projectors

PDA's

Cable TV Boxes

Camera

This is part of a larger event sponsored by Sony Electronics; put on by Waste Management and Recycle America as well as CompuCycle. These companies will be participating in four simultaneous e-waste collection events happening around the Houston area. The one in greater Clear Lake Area in the parking lot at Space Center Houston is, by far, going to be the biggest of the four events.

This is an incredible opportunity to educate people about not only how to properly dispose of their electronic material, but why it is so important to recycle through an ethical recycling company; including both environmentally and protection for human rights. Many times e-waste ends up in developing nations where workers, often times children, are exposed to harsh chemicals and heavy pollution.

The main sponsor, Sony Electronics, is an EPA recognized "e-cycle" partner, ensuring proper ethical treatment of all materials and people involved. It is truly a unique experience to be part of an event like this.

All sensitive material is physically shredded at the local Houston warehouse ensuring protection of privacy and identity. All working and non-working materials are accepted.

This is an incredible opportunity to educate people about not only how to properly dispose of their electronic material, but why it is so important to recycle through an ethical recycling company; including both environmentally and protection for human rights. Many times e-waste ends up in developing nations where workers, often times children, are exposed to harsh chemicals and heavy pollution.

Hell no. I'm not going to participate in anything sponsored by companies that want to the eliminate jobs of poor starving children. It would be unethical.

...besides which, I think old electronic equipment is neat.

Hell no. I'm not going to participate in anything sponsored by companies that want to the eliminate jobs of poor starving children. It would be unethical.

...besides which, I think old electronic equipment is neat.

ah, Niche, you grumpus. :lol:

While I am a certainly a supporter of recycling, I would feel remiss if I didn't do a special shout-out to Sony for co-opting the 'green' and 'ethical' target segment. Corporate sponsorhsips are paid for out of the advertising budget, not the community relations budget. All Sony wants is for you to throw out your old crap and buy some of their new crap.

While the e-cycling events are a much better alternative than throwing your dead laptop in the trash, I would encourage people to recycle otherwise than at corporate advertising events.

Archived