Cayton House Project

jmt

Here are two photos of our living room wall. The posts that are there are eaten by previous termites. There were roaches hiding and I sprayed them down with roach spray and they are dying off and also we sprayed in parts of the house and usually roaches are up at night but not during day light. But they were not functioning properly. We wanted to finish the project and get all of it out of the house but the air got really thick and fiberglass insulation is dangerous to be in. We had professional masks on but just too much. The only thing I regret is we didn't finish picking up all the torn down walls/insulation off the floor and put them in the trash pile and now roaches are probably hiding in the debris and probably half of them are dead.

Anyway, what we are thinking about doing is not doing anything this weekend but again I sense that we just need to take down that wall and really finish it up. Probably take an hour to do and sweep the floor again. Then just "bomb" the house with roach spray and leave it there for the week and we'll come back the following weekend. But then again it's like we want to continue working with out any roach spray.

• 4 weeks later...

"Anyway, what we are thinking about doing is not doing anything this weekend but again I sense that we just need to take down that wall and really finish it up. Probably take an hour to do and sweep the floor again. Then just "bomb" the house with roach spray and leave it there for the week and we'll come back the following weekend. But then again it's like we want to continue working with out any roach spray."

For the love of God, please spare us the day by day trials and tribulations of your renovation efforts. I'm sorry, but roach spray updates and volunteer yard work is more appropriate for a community outreach blog. Yes, its terrific you have saved a worthwhile example of a post war modern home -- really it is -- but this forum is primarily about architecture and design (but boy does it drift lately).

I guess your posts would be worthwhile if you were actually doing some compelling remediation efforts: Pictures of a bathtub before and after cleaning? Probably of interest to scrubbing bubbles but that's about it.

Yes, this is a little harsh but I simply cannot bear another topic started concerning this property unless it possesses some "meat".

Best of luck... sincerely.

I have to echo domus' comments; I'm very happy that you've decided to restore this home, and to a certain extent that you've decided to document those efforts so thoroughly. However, it is getting a little old. Please don't take this as an insult or anything of that nature.

No, I disagree with these two. I want you to post everything you've got and go into as much detail as you feel comfortable doing. It will help people in the future who want to do what you're doing.

Just keep it in this ONE THREAD! That way these two can just skip it if they want...

Sorry I haven't been able to get out to that side of town. Maybe over Christmas vacation.

Jason

I have to echo domus' comments; I'm very happy that you've decided to restore this home, and to a certain extent that you've decided to document those efforts so thoroughly. However, it is getting a little old. Please don't take this as an insult or anything of that nature.

No, I disagree with these two. I want you to post everything you've got and go into as much detail as you feel comfortable doing. It will help people in the future who want to do what you're doing.

Just keep it in this ONE THREAD! That way these two can just skip it if they want...

Sorry I haven't been able to get out to that side of town. Maybe over Christmas vacation.

Jason

I'll agree with Willowisp too: if you keep it in this one thread, it won't be a problem. I TRY to keep my updates of the Wylie Vale thread limited to that one, because I know people are probably sick of it by now; if they're interested, they can read it. If not, they'll ignore it. I'm trying to be exacting and comprehensive, but I don't want to bog down the board either.

"No, I disagree with these two. I want you to post everything you've got and go into as much detail as you feel comfortable doing. It will help people in the future who want to do what you're doing.

Just keep it in this ONE THREAD! That way these two can just skip it if they want... "

Agreed -- with respect to one thread. I'll stand by my previous statement however. And just as Willowisp stated, those of us not interested in the latest rusty nail pick-up count can simply skip the thread accordingly.

"No, I disagree with these two. I want you to post everything you've got and go into as much detail as you feel comfortable doing. It will help people in the future who want to do what you're doing."

If people know everything there is to know, what will be the fun of figuring it out for themselves? Secondly, it will turn people off when they find out how much time, money and effort it takes.

• 4 months later...

The thread on that "punching bag" house in GBV got me thinking back to this house. I think some of you posters scared these guys away from ever showing us their progress again!

Come back and post pictures?! I want to see what happened to this house!

Jason

I'm new to the site but familiar with the area and the house. I was in the area last week and drove by the house to see how it had turned out. I think the guys were not only scared away from the site but the house also. It looked as if clean up had started but just stopped. The garage door was half gone and there was a pile of trash and garbage can just setting in the driveway, no sign of occupancy. I'll be out that way next weekend and will drive by again to see if anything has changed.

thats unfortunate. maybe a victim of watching too many removation shows on HGTV. This stuff isnt for the faint of heart or wallet. It cost money, and if you dont have a lawn mower and need help cleaning the yard, you may want to rethink things.

"Thats unfortunate. maybe a victim of watching too many removation shows on HGTV. This stuff isnt for the faint of heart or wallet. It cost money, and if you dont have a lawn mower and need help cleaning the yard, you may want to rethink things."

Spot on... home renovation/restoration is not for the faint of heart. As a matter of fact, it's pretty tough stuff. That said, there may be more going on here than meets the eye (i.e. perhaps there are other issues at play -- health, etc.). If such is the case, hopefully such will be resolved.

Nevertheless, sticking to "GREASER's" point, it's easy to get caught up in "renovation" minutia -- you see it often on the "Lotta Living" site: "What color should I paint my door?" -- then there are those who are simply in over their heads: "Beam rot, what should I do?" Which is often followed by well meaning but somewhat shortsighted responses: "Trim off the rotted wood, caulk and paint."

If renovation/restoration were only so easy.

The Cayton House project seems to have been much more than it may have appeared to the buyers. When "renovation" efforts begin to include solicitation for work volunteers on a private purchase via a site dedicated to discussions on post-war modern homes... well, that's taking a turn into a questionable area.

Perhaps this property is in foreclosure?

Oh, and while the 60K was likely not difficult to gather for the initial property purchase, the 100K+ for the renovation work itself may have been another matter altogether. And a project of this scale and magnitude is not a "do it yourself" project... hopefully this effort will spring back into action.

A problem with this one was that it did not seem to make financial sense to begin with. Then you through in all those unknowns once you get into a project and it snowballs, then reality hits. Hopefully they did not get into some trick home loan and got burned. Maybe this is a job for flipper.

I've been in this house and those guys had a pretty tough row to hoe. Yes it was rough, but doable. I've gotten buried in my own basket case MCM after Ike and couldn't help these guys. They struck me as pretty engaged and able to work through it. I sure hope they didn't get overwhelmed and discouraged with it all.

After doing a little hunting on the Cayton house, it appears the work is still underway despite appearances from the road. I found this link to a flikr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmtworld/ and it shows recent work being done to the garage ceiling (March21?). Most likely why the door was torn down and the pile of sheetrock in the drive. It appears they are doing all the work themselves. I was raised doing all of our own home repairs, from roofing the house to ripping out the bathroom and starting over. It wasn't an HGTV thing back then it was life in middle class, blue collar America. I still like the challenge of doing what I can, but roofing is a young mans game now. I've tried to hire out work in the past but the craftsmanship just isn't there anymore. It gets back to the old saying "If you want it done rite do it yourself". After a few years of life you begin to realize that journey is more memorable than the destination when looking back and there is always the pride in doing something yourself. I wish them the best and hope they enjoy the journey.

Ok.

After reading all the responses and the comments, I just have to put some things to rest. I'm the owner of the Cayton house and my partner is the one who may have been marked as being too "overly enthusiastic" about the Cayton project.

One. The lawnmower - after the two landscaping services we asked to come out fell through, we asked around. Because I am a particularly environmental guy and I don't believe in gas lawnmowers. Odd but true. Electric lawnmowers don't serve me well in a house without electric. My S.O. doesn't believe in using manual lawnmowers.

Two. The progress. We've interviewed contractors. Some of them have turned my stomach with words like "gut remodel" and "crown molding." We have narrowed it down to two. Financing is a bit problematic. We paid cash for the house. We intend to pay cash for the remodel - but weren't prepared for more than 10k (idealistic, I know, but hey, it's our first home) so we're scrambling to find financing..and in this economy, it isn't going too great. We've also changed a lot of preconceptions that we've had about the house to start with - namely what we should keep and what we should get rid of. The kitchen, while it may break my heart, may need to go, for instance. The pink bathroom is going to stay - that's a battle to the death for me. But the fact still stands - the original cost is a bit bigger than anticipated - which has slowed down things by months and has been exceedingly frustrating.

Three. We are moving in. In two months time, in fact. We will be setting up with a hot plate, a fridge and without the trappings of Bellaire and Whole Foods. That's just how it is. I admittedly got a bit discouraged after the bout of contractors and folks telling me that "y'know, this is pretty bad...." but I figure if we live it, we can fix it.

Oh, yeah, as for the trash. Some of the neighbors, God love them, keep putting trash in our trashcan while we're not there and filling it up. Sorry about that. I keep waiting for code enforcement to drop a notice in the mailbox.

I have two suggestions,

What you could do is buy one of those battery powered lawn mowers, then every time the battery needs recharging drive back and forth to where your curently living to recharge it. And shop at a regular grocery store that does not overcharge for products, that should give you some more money to put into the house.

Do they sell "green" kitchen cabinets at Whole Foods? Actually forget that, the most enviromental thing would be to re-use what you already have.

This house does sound like a job for Flipper.

An electric lawnmower will not have what it takes top do a St. Augustine grass lawn of that size in that area. Your lawn has a lot of Burmudagrass and other strains as well, which is great for that area and very manageable. The little robot jobs and current green solutions you will probably find frustrating as they are too light for that kind of task. I've mowed lawns in that area for more decades than I wish to recall and it will take some serious mower to do it. If you are EXTREEMLY exuberant and healthy - a push type reel mower might do - after you have someone shave what you have down for you first. Then you should mow WEEKLy at the least and water more often during dry spells to maintain your foundation. Drink lots of water and you can cancell your gym membership as that WILL be a good cardio! (see, you're saving money already)

I know you guys will do well there.

Just to add to what HH said above: a push reel mower is basically scissors on wheels. It will cut very evenly provided your yard is a certain specific height. Taller grass or weeds will just be pushed down and not cut. Anything too low will not be cut. Obviously the grass clippings will just fall on your yard so you will have to mulch them or rake them. A big disadvantage of reel mowers is that they can not get very close to flower beds, trees, etc. so you will either have to use a string trimmer or yard shears to do a lot of close trimming and edging that rotary lawn mowers can do.

haha. it seems that my ignorance is showing - i've actually quite honestly never mowed a lawn before in my life. i guess the romance of the push-reel mowers are kinda diminished now... B)

but, the good news is i got a referral for a lawn service from a neighbor..so that works out.

Archived