War on Christmas: 2008 ?

sevfiv

I just received an email from the Christian Coalition regarding the advertising and attempts to ban Christmas and God in public by humanist and atheist groups (specifically the American Humanist Association's "Godless Holiday Campaign" (link)).

The ads, which read "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake" will be on over 200 Washington DC buses.

I was curious about thoughts on this - we've had a couple "war" threads (2005, 2007), so I thought I'd start this year's with the first item I saw.

Here's the text of the CC email:

Press Release

Roberta Combs, President

Wednesday, November 12 , 2008

Humanist Groups out to Ban Christmas and God from the Public Square Again This Year

Washington D.C.

I haven't noticed it much this year. In fact, I've seen a backlash the other way. I've seen both Home Depot and Target with full-on "Christmas" ads.

Maybe in these tough economic times people are clinging to their guns and religion.

Good for them. America must be the only country in the world where people seem to have convinced themselves that there is something offensive about the word "Christmas" and insist on "holiday". Me, I celebrate Christmas, not holiday. And this has absolutely nothing to do with religious convictions or lack of the same. I just don't think that people are offended by Christmas, even if they're not Christian.

Good for them. America must be the only country in the world where people seem to have convinced themselves that there is something offensive about the word "Christmas" and insist on "holiday". Me, I celebrate Christmas, not holiday. And this has absolutely nothing to do with religious convictions or lack of the same. I just don't think that people are offended by Christmas, even if they're not Christian.

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. I have no problem with the word, it's use in advertising, or any of the other things the Christian Coalition says I hate. I don't want public money spent on religious stuff, but that's because I like the Bill of Rights, not because I'm an atheist.

Good for them. America must be the only country in the world where people seem to have convinced themselves that there is something offensive about the word "Christmas" and insist on "holiday".

i'm not sure "America" thinks that but rather advertisers (and the people who own them) think it isn't pc.

i'm not sure "America" thinks that but rather advertisers (and the people who own them) think it isn't pc.

I'm not sure advertisers think it isn't "PC". They might think "holiday" is more inclusive and less likely to alienate their Jewish customers. I think they whole "war on Christmas" thing was invented to give some Christians something else to be pissed off about.

I'm not sure advertisers think it isn't "PC". They might think "holiday" is more inclusive and less likely to alienate their Jewish customers. I think they whole "war on Christmas" thing was invented to give some Christians something else to be pissed off about.

i'd have no problem with hannukah commercials. i just see advertisers trying to steer away from religion as a whole.

I haven't noticed it much this year. In fact, I've seen a backlash the other way. I've seen both Home Depot and Target with full-on "Christmas" ads.

Maybe in these tough economic times people are clinging to their guns and religion.

The fear is that they are clinging to their wallets and credit cards.

i'd have no problem with hannukah commercials. i just see advertisers trying to steer away from religion as a whole.

I doubt special commercials just for Hannukah are worth the investment. If you see a commercial for a "holiday sale", do you think that's steering away from religion?

I doubt special commercials just for Hannukah are worth the investment. If you see a commercial for a "holiday sale", do you think that's steering away from religion?

yep. with the way things are, not sure a charlie brown christmas would've turned out like it did '65 if it were made today.

yep. with the way things are, not sure a charlie brown christmas would've turned out like it did '65 if it were made today.

So you think flyers ought to say "Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus Sale" instead of "Holiday Sale"? Why?

And "A Charlie Brown Christmas" wasn't a commerical. It was a TV show.

So you think flyers ought to say "Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus Sale" instead of "Holiday Sale"? Why?

i must have missed my post where i said that.

yep i've seen it. the religious aspect of it would probably ensure it wouldn't be made the same way today.

i must have missed my post where i said that.

Maybe I misunderstood your "yep". I asked "f you see a commercial for a "holiday sale", do you think that's steering away from religion?", you said "yep". What did that "yep" mean?

yep i've seen it. the religious aspect of it would probably ensure it wouldn't be made the same way today.

I dunno. They had a hard time getting it made in the first place because it was specifically Christian, but Schultz had the clout to get it done. I bet if someone with the same clout made a special today he could get the same treatment.

Some advertisers do, and some don't. I think it depends on what you're selling and to whom.

Selling tires doesn't necessarily need a Christmas sale. But if you're pushing turkey basters or Hummel figurines for the season, a little Christmas would probably go a long way.

I don't think the Jews care. Centuries of persecution has made them a lot more well-adjusted than many other people. They accept everyone else and move along. It's their history from North Africa to Amsterdam to New York. They see that a large number of other people are having a good time and think, "Good for them" and not, "how dare they!" That's left for the intolerant and the antitheists.

I doubt special commercials just for Hannukah are worth the investment.

Depends on what market you're in. In New York there are lots of Hannukah ads. I've seen a few in Jewish newspapers here and there around the country, too.

Virgin Mobile ran a TV ad with a really catchy jingle celebrating Christmakannahquanzikah once.

Archived