Planned Parenthood

Larissa

There have been stories in the Houston Chronicle (link below) saying it was being planned - but now if you drive by, you can see the building is finally being gutted for renovation. The stair-stepped exterior will be retained. Planned Parenthood will be selling their midtown properties (a two-story building, a four-story building, and parking lots) and moving admin operations (for both its Texas and Lousiana health centers) to the Gulf Freeway location. PP across SE TX provides around 100,000 family planning visits a year, so less-crowded conditions will be a welcome relief.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/5990832.html

• Like 1

Glad to see the Sterling Bank building used - wonder what will happen to the other properties being sold.

Peter Durkin, president of Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas, said the new building will be big: six stories and 75,000 square feet. He described the claim that the building will be the largest center of late-term abortions in the Western Hemisphere as "nonsense."

Only one of the six floors will be for clinical space, he said. Most of the building, he said, will be used for administration and family planning.

Now all the protests and picketing will be moved to the Near East End. Gotta love it.

I see this topic headed straight for the "controversial" section of Haif. :o

Midtown must have got fed up with the ongoing protest's from local churches so they send it our way. I see no end in sight. On a positive note, everyone passing by on the Gulf frwy headed out of downtown will have a great view of all the hoopla below. Media will have a field day.

Santo cielo! :mellow:

Now all the protests and picketing will be moved to the Near East End. Gotta love it.

I see this topic headed straight for the "controversial" section of Haif. :o

Midtown must have got fed up with the ongoing protest's from local churches so they send it our way. I see no end in sight. On a positive note, everyone passing by on the Gulf frwy headed out of downtown will have a great view of all the hoopla below. Media will have a field day.

Santo cielo! :mellow:

One good thing about this location is that there is no convenient place for the protestors to park or picket unless thay are allowed on the property.

ooh isnt that lovely...lol

1) There is plenty of street parking for protesters on the back side of the new building, which is where the entrance is (and will continue to be) to the parking lot.

2) A for the current location - I know people going to Atdkins, and students walking to HCC are sometimes frustrated at protesters approaching them, but for the most part, the protesters are more interested in saying things to patients, staff, volunteers, etc. at PP.

As for controversy - PETA is not happy with Baylor building a hospital because of animal research, some are not thrilled with a Islamic Center being planned for Montrose and Allen Parkway, and there have been arguements on the amount of money the Catholic Church spent on the new Co-Cathedral. Perhaps we all should show some tolerance, and be happy that Houston continues to have interesting architectural/building projects, and keeping contractors and craftsmen employed.

You don't have to be so crude. I doubt most people know Planned Parenthood's mission or *other* services.

Anyhow, this thread is about the Sterling Bank building conversion, not personal views on women's reproductive rights or family planning.

The mission of Planned Parenthood Federation of America shall be to provide leadership in

*ensuring the provision of comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings that preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual

*advocating public policies that guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services

*providing educational programs that enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality

*promoting research and the advancement of technology in reproductive health care and encouraging the understanding of their inherent bioethical, behavioral, and social implications

"family planning visits"

Is that what people call infanticide these days?

If you think Planned Parenthood is only about abortion, then you know very little about what goes on there. There is no need to demonstrate your ignorance here.

This will truly be a state-of-the-art abortion mill.

Memorial Hermann or any other hospital probably performs more abortions each year than any Planned Parenthood clinic. Perhaps you would like to label the Texas Medical Center an "abortion mill" as well.

Contrary to what you intended with your post, your pithy one-liner does not pass for knowledge. It only illustrates ignorance. Perhaps you should do more research before you are critical of Planned Parenthood's work.

Or even better, tell us what you do for a living so we can find ways to label you a baby killer. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

If you think Planned Parenthood is only about abortion, then you know very little about what goes on there. There is no need to demonstrate your ignorance here.

No, it's not just about abortion. And southern plantations owners weren't just about slavery. They also provided cotton, a much needed resource.

Memorial Hermann or any other hospital probably performs more abortions each year than any Planned Parenthood clinic. Perhaps you would like to label the Texas Medical Center an "abortion mill" as well.

Perhaps so.

Contrary to what you intended with your post, your pithy one-liner does not pass for knowledge. It only illustrates ignorance. Perhaps you should do more research before you are critical of Planned Parenthood's work.

I've done more research and everything I've learned about Planned Parenthood, from what they teach about sex to the kind of "family planning" they promote, turns my stomach. The fact that they receive some of my tax dollars is a disgrace. But even if their other business was feeding the hungry and teaching children to read, the fact that they perform abortions would still disgust me.

Or even better, tell us what you do for a living so we can find ways to label you a baby killer. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard.

I teach high school. I don't stick metal tools in women's bodies to destroy their babies. Honestly, think about what we are talking about.

I've done more research and everything I've learned about Planned Parenthood, from what they teach about sex to the kind of "family planning" they promote, turns my stomach.

Then your research is incomplete. Very incomplete. Or you choose to willfully ignore the good work done there.

I teach high school. I don't stick metal tools in women's bodies to destroy their babies. Honestly, think about what we are talking about.

Oh, so you're the one responsible for the lazy stupid children I see every day; all those kids shooting each other and doing drugs and running around. I've done my research and it's all about bad teachers.

See? We can both play the make-believe demon game.

• Like 1

Then your research is incomplete. Very incomplete. Or you choose to willfully ignore the good work done there.

Oh, so you're the one responsible for the lazy stupid children I see every day; all those kids shooting each other and doing drugs and running around. I've done my research and it's all about bad teachers.

See? We can both play the make-believe demon game.

Editor, there is nothing make-believe about abortion doctors killing unborn babies. This will happen inside this clinic.

And no amount of "good work" that they do makes up for that.

Edited by H-Town Man

Planned Parenthood provides cheap contraceptives, which reduces the need for abortion.

...which creates a culture where sexuality is separated from childbirth and treated as a pleasure device rather than a sacred thing, ultimately increasing the need for abortion.

^A clinic that is a safe and sterile environment.

Yes, you can have the life inside you killed, that little guy or girl that is already kicking and moving and has a beating heart, and it will be safely disposed of with complete sterility.

...which creates a culture where sexuality is separated from childbirth and treated as a pleasure device rather than a sacred thing, ultimately increasing the need for abortion.

I think the problem here is that you insist on seeing Planned Parenthood as offering only one service -- the one you object to.

That way of single-issue thinking is not a good way to go through life. Like some people I know who refused to vote Republican because Sarah Palin is a hunter. They used that one fact as an excuse to pretend everything else about Republicans is bad.

I know you already know this, but I'll state it anyway -- Planned Parenthood provides a lot of services other than abortions.

And I'll state this since you seem unaware of it -- Planned Parenthood provides all sorts of basic medical services to people who cannot afford to go to a doctor or a hospital, or who do not have insurance. I'm talking about medical services that have nothing to do with health.

You seem to think that Planned Parenthood operations should be shut down. That means you would rather that poor people not have check-ups, pap smears, physicals, and other routine medical procedures simply because they can't afford them. That's pretty awful. Jesus loved the poor, why can't you?

• Like 1

Are you against the idea of people using contraception? Unfortunately a society where sexuality is only connected to child birth is pure fantasy.

^Not if people who have sex for reasons other than procreation (which is a LOT of people) are smart about it.

You miss the point. If contraceptives had never been invented, then sex would still be a sacred, revered thing in our culture, not the everyday carefree pleasure device that it has become. The culture has been changed, and as a result of the infinitely greater amount of careless sex, there is also a high number of occasions where people carelessly forget to use contraceptives, and thus need abortions.

In 1967, when Pope Paul VI wrote an encyclical advising Catholics not to use contraceptives, he predicted that due to the sudden widespread availability of birth control, in thirty years western culture would be awash in sexuality. He was right. This is what happens when you remove an act from its natural consequence: the floodgates open up and people go crazy with the act. The problem is that with so many people now having sex at earlier and earlier ages and with more and more partners (due to the culture change), there is also a much greater demand for abortions than there ever was before contraceptives became widespread.

So contraceptives have led to a greater number of abortions.

Yes, you can have the life inside you killed, that little guy or girl that is already kicking and moving and has a beating heart, and it will be safely disposed of with complete sterility.

Yes, that's right. For medical procedures, safety and sterility are important.

I don't know anyone who is PRO-abortion (or anyone who has ever had one, to my knowledge), but I cannot condone blanket legislation or beliefs taking away the choice. There are too many different and extremely personal (ie, none of your business) situations to do this.

Without approving of abortion, I still would want safe facilities for it to occur since it is going to happen whether anyone bitches and moans about it or not. Take away the right to do it safely, and you create another public health risk.

That's where increased advocacy and education play a role - to minimize these occurrences and for sexually active folks to make good decisions before the fact.

Are you also against hiring exterminators to eradicate infestation of mice? They're alive, too, have beating hearts...and some of them are even pregnant. :o Or does your interpretation of the concept of the sanctity of life only apply to humans? And if so, why?

Personally, I like the concept of abortion. Someone that doesn't want to be a parent probably isn't going to be a very good one. And crappy parenting creates social ills that are far more damaging than pest control...or mice genocide for that matter. ;)

Edited by TheNiche

You miss the point. If contraceptives had never been invented, then sex would still be a sacred, revered thing in our culture, not the everyday carefree pleasure device that it has become. The culture has been changed, and as a result of the infinitely greater amount of careless sex, there is also a high number of occasions where people carelessly forget to use contraceptives, and thus need abortions.

Hate to break it to you, but contraceptives have been around for almost a thousand years -- possibly longer. Way before "our culture." Condoms have been recovered from the cesspools of European castles dating back to the 1200's. And chemical/herbal methods, while less effective than what we have today, have been used for at least that long.

I guess you're not a history teacher.

• Like 1

I think the problem here is that you insist on seeing Planned Parenthood as offering only one service -- the one you object to.

That way of single-issue thinking is not a good way to go through life. Like some people I know who refused to vote Republican because Sarah Palin is a hunter. They used that one fact as an excuse to pretend everything else about Republicans is bad.

I know you already know this, but I'll state it anyway -- Planned Parenthood provides a lot of services other than abortions.

And I'll state this since you seem unaware of it -- Planned Parenthood provides all sorts of basic medical services to people who cannot afford to go to a doctor or a hospital, or who do not have insurance. I'm talking about medical services that have nothing to do with health.

You seem to think that Planned Parenthood operations should be shut down. That means you would rather that poor people not have check-ups, pap smears, physicals, and other routine medical procedures simply because they can't afford them. That's pretty awful. Jesus loved the poor, why can't you?

Editor, you are assuming I think a dozen things I did not say, and you are not reading what I write very carefully. Most of what Planned Parenthood does is fine, some of it I find objectionable, and abortion I find evil and intolerable. I don't think their operations should be shut down, I think they should stop performing abortions.

If a place spends half or even 9/10 of its resources on things that I find laudable, like helping the poor or teaching children, and the other tenth of its resources it spends on something I find abominable, like torture or murder or abortion, I am not going to have a high opinion of the place!

To repeat an analogy that you skimmed over earlier: Southern plantation owners did a lot of good things, like provide cotton and contribute to their communities. But they also owned slaves! Are you going to turn a blind eye to that?