Council Member Pretends To Be Homeless

editor

I got this e-mail today from Wanda Adams' office (she's district D):

----------

Be sure to watch the 9 p.m. newscast of Fox 26 tonight as reporter Isiah Carey follows City Council Member Wanda Adams as she experiences first-hand what it's like to be one of Houston's 15,000 homeless residents.

"Every day, we see the homeless on the street corners and sleeping on the sidewalks, but I wanted to see, with my own eyes, what it's like from their perspective," said Adams, who represents District D. "I wanted to show the public the bleakness of their situation so we can get a realistic view of how to address one of the gravest issues facing our city."

Watch Council Member Adams, along with Shawn Manning, a minister who was once homeless, and staff member Kristopher Banks, as she asks passers-by for spare change and spends the night sleeping on a cardboard box outside on a chilly October night. Council Member Adams spent a total of 13 hours as a homeless person in order to demonstrate the difficulties and dangers the homeless face every night.

Guess no one wants to touch this one? Imagine if all of the council got in on the act? Great photo op. :)

Maybe the problem was that she gave the exclusive to Fox instead of a station where people would have actually seen it happen.

maybe it is the fact that this must be a joke or a publicity stunt....or both

hey I spent 13 hours outside the other day I guess I know what homeless people are like now!!!!!!

and I hate the cold more than anyone, but a "chilly October night" in Houston was what 65 degrees....most yankees still melt in that

and I am sure she was in "real danger" with some media fools all around her and the HPD surely knowing she was out there and swinging by to check on her between donut runs

I would have been more impressed if she swilled some 40s, smoked some crack, peed and pooped herself, and then accosted people with verbal garbage, then she would know what most homeless are like....and why most people can't stand them

this is just another stupid ploy to try and make people feel sorry for those that make weekly, daily, and hourly poor CHOICES that leads them to the situation they find themselves in every day

I am sure she also did not mention that she probably made more money begging than she had made in any other day in her life as well

maybe it is the fact that this must be a joke or a publicity stunt....or both

hey I spent 13 hours outside the other day I guess I know what homeless people are like now!!!!!!

and I hate the cold more than anyone, but a "chilly October night" in Houston was what 65 degrees....most yankees still melt in that

and I am sure she was in "real danger" with some media fools all around her and the HPD surely knowing she was out there and swinging by to check on her between donut runs

I would have been more impressed if she swilled some 40s, smoked some crack, peed and pooped herself, and then accosted people with verbal garbage, then she would know what most homeless are like....and why most people can't stand them

this is just another stupid ploy to try and make people feel sorry for those that make weekly, daily, and hourly poor CHOICES that leads them to the situation they find themselves in every day

I am sure she also did not mention that she probably made more money begging than she had made in any other day in her life as well

You win the grand prize!

Let's hope she doesnt go as far as pulling her pants down exposing her privates and shouting obsceneties to the ones that dont give her cash. Boy I would pay $$$ to see her with a pipe hanging from her lips, bottle of MadDog 20/20 & all red eyed. Now thats reality TV! :D

See, if I was posing as a homeless person, I would not announce it in advance. I would do it incognito and then reveal myself after the fact.

Also, if I would go as far as to effectively live and pose as a homeless man/panhandler, I would be willing to risk my life.

I think we should skip the charade and take the next logical step. Assume the permanent homeless population continues to grow. The homeless have a 'district' and a seat on city council. That might wake some folks up as to the degree to which homelessness is institutionalized in our cities and suburbs.

edit:

on a more flippant note, when I read this story all I could think of was when Tyra Banks dressed up in a fat suit and exposed the injustice that fat non-models face every day!

I think we should skip the charade and take the next logical step. Assume the permanent homeless population continues to grow. The homeless have a 'district' and a seat on city council. That might wake some folks up as to the degree to which homelessness is institutionalized in our cities and suburbs.

That would be sweet. To vote, you'd have to empty your pockets and show that you don't have any sort of ID with a legal residence on it. I can see the ads: "Vote Wino Bob!" and "George 'Scabby Ears' Arbogast for Council Position Zero!"

on a more flippant note, when I read this story all I could think of was when Tyra Banks dressed up in a fat suit and exposed the injustice that fat non-models face every day!

Almost as good was when she revealed her debilitating dolphin phobia.

On last weeks Sarah Silverman Program, she lost her keys and couldn't get back in to her apartment, so she became homeless. There was a lot of pooping in coffee cans.

• The title was changed to Council Member Pretends To Be Homeless

Archived