Here's a good one:

Deconstructing the McRib

Thanks for the link.

From the site:

But now, with McDonald's threat or tease about retiring the McRib, there are petitions on the net in favor and opposed to keeping the McRib around. And, of course, there's a petition at McDonald's official McRib site.

And what about that fancy McRib.com web site that offers logos you can download for t-shirt iron-ons, trivia and games related to McRib and begs the question, "Why spend all the money if the sandwich is going away?" It's not. It's just a revival of that perennial anomaly of the rib-less rib-meat sandwich.

Maybe McDonald's learned this trick from the the New Coke marketing of the early 80's.

Coincidently, the company for which I worked at that time had a mandatory work lunch just after New Coke was introduced. It was the first time any of us had tried it.

Ever hear 200 people go "EWWWW!" at the same time? It was awful; tasted like tainted Pepsi. Further, Coke discontinued the 'old' Coke (now referred to as 'Classic') at the same time, presumably forever. Within a matter of weeks, Old Coke was selling for premium prices. People snapped up whatever quantities they could and squirreled it away like fine wine.

After a few months of this torment, Classic Coke was re-introduced, and its devotees learned to never take it for granted.

This tactic seems to be working for the McRib, too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the link.

From the site:

But now, with McDonald's threat or tease about retiring the McRib, there are petitions on the net in favor and opposed to keeping the McRib around. And, of course, there's a petition at McDonald's official McRib site.

And what about that fancy McRib.com web site that offers logos you can download for t-shirt iron-ons, trivia and games related to McRib and begs the question, "Why spend all the money if the sandwich is going away?" It's not. It's just a revival of that perennial anomaly of the rib-less rib-meat sandwich.

Maybe McDonald's learned this trick from the the New Coke marketing of the early 80's.

Coincidently, the company for which I worked at that time had a mandatory work lunch just after New Coke was introduced. It was the first time any of us had tried it.

Ever hear 200 people go "EWWWW!" at the same time? It was awful; tasted like tainted Pepsi. Further, Coke discontinued the 'old' Coke (now referred to as 'Classic') at the same time, presumably forever. Within a matter of weeks, Old Coke was selling for premium prices. People snapped up whatever quantities they could and squirreled it away like fine wine.

After a few months of this torment, Classic Coke was re-introduced, and its devotees learned to never take it for granted.

This tactic seems to be working for the McRib, too.

the new coke old coke scam was pulled to mask the introduction of high fructose corn syrup VS sucrose cane or beet sugar in origional coke

the new coke old coke scam was pulled to mask the introduction of high fructose corn syrup VS sucrose cane or beet sugar in origional coke

Sounded plausable, so I did some Googling. According to this article at Snopes.com, my version is the urban myth; your explaination is closer to what actually happened.

Thanks for pointing that out. Some of us can be persuaded by facts to change our minds.

I remember when New Coke came out. I don't remember if I cared for the taste or not; I was pretty young. Mostly what I remember is that it happened right around the time generic food became popular in grocery stores. The one by us carried an entire line of groceries that were just white labels with black letters identifying the food: "Puffed Wheat Cereal" or "Macaroni and Cheese" or "Vinegar."

For whatever reason, where I lived the grocery stores carried old Coke and New Coke side-by-side on the shelves from the beginning. I remember pouting, "Oh, great. There's another flavor of Coke I'll never get to try!" as my mom put a six-pack of "Cola" into the cart.

Months before New Coke came out, I started to get what I thought were "bad Cokes". They were sweeter than normal, stickier in the mouth, not as crisp and cleanly defined. I noticed that certain vending machines on the UT campus had them and stopped using those machines. I realize now that I was getting some of the first Coca Colas made with HFCS. Then New Coke came out and I knew immediately that it was crap. If I wanted Pepsi I knew where to get it. I switched to RC until "Coke Classic" came back. It was better than New Coke, but still not the same. To get the old school taste, you have to get Kosher for Passover Coke.

Months before New Coke came out, I started to get what I thought were "bad Cokes". They were sweeter than normal, stickier in the mouth, not as crisp and cleanly defined. I noticed that certain vending machines on the UT campus had them and stopped using those machines. I realize now that I was getting some of the first Coca Colas made with HFCS. Then New Coke came out and I knew immediately that it was crap. If I wanted Pepsi I knew where to get it. I switched to RC until "Coke Classic" came back. It was better than New Coke, but still not the same. To get the old school taste, you have to get Kosher for Passover Coke.

I know we're starting to drift off-topic here, but... when turning corn into fuel was the rage a couple of years ago I was hoping that would wean the corn farmers off of their subsidies so we wouldn't have such a ridiculous surplus of corn and the food companies would go back to real sugar.

I know we're starting to drift off-topic here, but... when turning corn into fuel was the rage a couple of years ago I was hoping that would wean the corn farmers off of their subsidies so we wouldn't have such a ridiculous surplus of corn and the food companies would go back to real sugar.

it is not the excess corn syrup that is the issue it is the ban on imported sugar that keeps the price higher than what fructose cost.....though corn farmers do have something to do with that it is also cane and beet farmers as well

if one desires the "real" real thing all then need to do is buy Mexican cokes at any Mexican market in the glass bottles though they cost more.....you can be sure it is them by the paper product ingredients label stuck to them to meet stupid US laws

We just need to make Passover longer.

Again, what is the McRib made of???????

On The Simpsons, folks were asking Krusty the Clown what his Ribwich was made of. (It went off the market because the animal it's made from became extinct.) When people asked if it was cow or pig, Krusty replied: "You're way off. Think smaller. With more legs."

I always pretend the McRib is made from giant african black centipedes.

Again, what is the McRib made of???????
On The Simpsons, folks were asking Krusty the Clown what his Ribwich was made of. (It went off the market because the animal it's made from became extinct.) When people asked if it was cow or pig, Krusty replied: "You're way off. Think smaller. With more legs."
Krusty: "Think smaller.. and with more legs.." :lol:

I said it first! :lol:

According to McDonalds:

McRib Pork Patty:

Pork, water, salt, dextrose, BHA and BHT and propyl gallate and citric acid (preservatives).

That sounds like Spam. Regarless, I love the McRib and fried Spam with eggs isn't half bad either. Then again, I like Vienna sausage. :o

That sounds like Spam. Regarless, I love the McRib and fried Spam with eggs isn't half bad either. Then again, I like Vienna sausage. :o

You just said the magic words: vienna sausage! This is as white trash as it comes. My favorite sandwich as a child was vienna sausages, sliced lengthwise--very important-- layered with miracle whip and potato chips on good old Rainbo bread. Mmmmm, good.

You just said the magic words: vienna sausage! This is as white trash as it comes. My favorite sandwich as a child was vienna sausages, sliced lengthwise--very important-- layered with miracle whip and potato chips on good old Rainbo bread. Mmmmm, good.

Nope. Vienna sausages with (on the side) Gerber baby food strained bananas. Haven't had that since I was about 9 - but I was hooked!

Nope. Vienna sausages with (on the side) Gerber baby food strained bananas. Haven't had that since I was about 9 - but I was hooked!

You ate Gerber baby good when you were nine?

I once had a girlfriend who at 19 years of age ate baby food, too. Someone at her gym told her it was the only way to get all the nutrition a person needs. For some reason she believed it.

She also couldn't go to bed until she washed her feet. Twice. She had other problems, too. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
You ate Gerber baby good when you were nine?

I once had a girlfriend who at 19 years of age ate baby food, too. Someone at her gym told her it was the only way to get all the nutrition a person needs. For some reason she believed it.

She also couldn't go to bed until she washed her feet. Twice. She had other problems, too. :wacko:

I'm going to assume you broke up.

I tried a McRib once in November 2007. It was good, but it had a strange softness...like salisbury steak.

I'm surprised Top Secret Recipes doesn't have it. Oh well...at least they have Orange Julius.

you forgot the other "mystery meat" - potted meat...

mrs. baird's bread, miracle whip (has to be the real thing) with chips on the side...

Mmmmmmm... :rolleyes:

This weekend I had an idea for a new grocery store. It would sell everything Whole Foods won't sell: preservatives, artificial colors and flavorings, heavily processed and refined foods. I would build one next to every Whole Foods and call it "Food Hole".

• 3 weeks later...
This weekend I had an idea for a new grocery store. It would sell everything Whole Foods won't sell: preservatives, artificial colors and flavorings, heavily processed and refined foods. I would build one next to every Whole Foods and call it "Food Hole".

Am I wrong, or did you just describe every convenience store, quickie mark, and gas station?

Archived