I know some people don't consider McDonald's "dining," but every year I get really excited when McRibs are available again. And I just saw a TV commercial proclaiming it as such.

For me it is the single most delectable piece of fast food there is. With pickles or without it's good either way. I don't even bother with the fries or Coke -- just gimme a couple of Ribwiches and I'm good.

This year I might try freezing a few to see how well they keep. It might be a way to get through those long McRibless months of spring and summer.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The McRib is defintely...something

I had one several years ago, and apparently there was a McRib/McRib shaped bun discrepancy, so it was served on a regular hamburger bun. Doesn't quite work out the same...

mcrib_sm.JPG

A lot of people are unable to accept the gastronomical wonder of foods like the McRib. I think it shows that their minds are constrained by the tastes of foods that have existed for centuries. The McRib is an entirely new food creation, sort of like Space Food Sticks, that requires an open palette and a naive approach to life. It isn't barbeque. It isn't ribs. It's unique and disconnected from any historical food context.

I know some people don't consider McDonald's "dining," but every year I get really excited when McRibs are available again. And I just saw a TV commercial proclaiming it as such.

For me it is the single most delectable piece of fast food there is. With pickles or without it's good either way. I don't even bother with the fries or Coke -- just gimme a couple of Ribwiches and I'm good.

This year I might try freezing a few to see how well they keep. It might be a way to get through those long McRibless months of spring and summer.

If you ever saw Super Size Me, you'd freak.

Wayne, we want you to live a long healthy life. Put the McRib down!

There are frozen products that are similar available - never tried them, though so can't compare.

In this day of convenience foods, some may even come with bun, like frozen cheeseburgers, hot dogs, etc., or you may have to provide the bun.

I think I've seen them at Sam's???

EDIT: Here you go.

And on Google products also from On-Cor and Hillshire Farms.

Gee, life really is a banquet.

I think you need help.

Sure, but it isn't barbequed and it isn't made of ribs.

Technicalities! Mere technicalities!

I love the McRib!!! But why is it seasonal?! I mean... The big mac is always on the menu... I cannot see why the McRib would not be a big seller, all year round.

Its actually brilliant marketing. All the fast food places have their "semi-annual" menu specialty.

I love the McRib!!! But why is it seasonal?! I mean... The big mac is always on the menu... I cannot see why the McRib would not be a big seller, all year round.

Because it coincides with the annual fall hog slaughter.

I read a very interesting piece about the economics of the McRib. When McDonald's first introduced it, it was like an earthquake through the hog futures market. Prices went through the roof, and continue to do so seasonally. Many pork producers, butchers, processors, and farmers lives were changed by the introduction of that one little product and some depend on it to stay in business. Kind of like the way the department stores depend so heavily on the Christmas shopping season.

OK. Now I'm going to get one.

Or six.

Boy, I don't know. You would think McDonalds wouldn't get pushed around about anything. If they wanted to have McRibs all year long, I'm sure they could. It's not like hot dogs or other pig meat products vanish during the rest of the year.

I'm pretty sure I saw these being sold at McDonalds in Germany.

re: coulrophobia

:lol: Just had to Google that one. Learn something new every day.

Speaking of Googling, I typed in "annual hog slaughter". Why annual, and not year-round?

But the hits that came up looked so unsettling that I beat a hasty exit. Don't want my conscience interfering with my enjoyment of the McRib! :D

I read a very interesting piece about the economics of the McRib. When McDonald's first introduced it, it was like an earthquake through the hog futures market. Prices went through the roof, and continue to do so seasonally. Many pork producers, butchers, processors, and farmers lives were changed by the introduction of that one little product and some depend on it to stay in business. Kind of like the way the department stores depend so heavily on the Christmas shopping season.

OK. Now I'm going to get one.

Or six.

GO, Mighty McRib!

I can't believe I've never had one. I have always imagined them to be either sickly sweet or putridly sour.

?

I did a little Googling and found that the time from birth to market for a hog is six months.

Because of the heritage of the hogs it is traditional for many farms to push their hogs to market in the fall so they don't have to be housed and fed through the long, cold winter. But with the faster breeding cycles some go twice a year or even in a continuous stream.

A farm with 80 sows on a continuous cycle can produce 2,000 pigs for market each year.

I also found this little piece of advice: "Never use a large boar to service a young gilt. His weight during breeding can cause her serious and permanent back damage."

And for those of you with kids in need of merit badges: How to make a ball out of a pig bladder.

Things I didn't know:

• You don't hang and age pork the way you do with beef.
  • Through genetic selection pigs grow twice as fast today as they did in the 1950's.
  • These items can be made from pigs: Lipstick, Toothpaste, Anti-rejection drugs, human transplant corneas, briefcases, chalk, china, gum, drywall, wallpaper, camera film, crayons, fishing line.

I'm amazed at the amount of information there is on the internet about pigs.

I can't believe I've never had one. I have always imagined them to be either sickly sweet or putridly sour.

They're a little of both. But boy are they good.

Fortunately, McDonald's doesn't paint fake char stripes on them like some crappy restaurants do. We all know that McRibs are boiled; there's no point in hiding it.

It's not like hot dogs or other pig meat products vanish during the rest of the year.

That's an interesting point. Though, hot dogs and most other pork products are cured to preserve them for months or years. It would seem strange to think that a McRib wouldn't have as many preservatives as a hot dog, but then it doesn't have the same flavor, either.

Most of the fresh pork products you see in stores through the winter are imported from other countries. My father was in that business.

I'm pretty sure I saw these being sold at McDonalds in Germany.

Were they called McRib, or something cooler (like how Filet of Fish is a FischMac in Austria)?

Archived