Houston Polonia?

CampLogan1917

Jak się masz?

We know, maybe, that Panna Maria, Texas is the heart and soul of the Polish Diaspora in the U.S. But, is there a Houston Polonia? And, if there is where is it?

Since so many people migrated to Houston from Detroit and Michigan in the late 1970's and early 1980's where there is a significant Polish-American Community I would think some of them brought their heritage with them. The question is did they bring their Poilish(ness) with them in the form of their religion, churches, restaurants, food, fraternal and social organizations, businesses and familial connections?

I'd like to hear from you if you're out there.

CampLogan1917 aka PolishCatMan :ph34r:

Polonia, the restaurant, and Polish grocery store next door - probably heart and soul of the community in Houston. Excellent food. Pilsner Urquell on draft is an excellent beer.

I'm not Polish, just like exploring different cuisines. Please report back on your recommendations. I've been 3 times.

There are links to the Press and Chron reviews on the website. They have a big presence at the Renaissance Festival each year.

Aye.. Polonia will give you some authentic Polish cuisine.. very good.. I wish their location was better.. the guy who owns it also owns the store next door.. The store has everything you would want for a polish kitchen as well.. & Delicia cookies! yum.

Can't get Polish beer in Texas due to our archaic labeling laws.. It's too strong, and should be considered I believe a "malt liquor" but that would not be accurate.. so, Czech is close enough.. ;) Get the "duze piwo", and you'll need two hands to hold the glass..

Polish church is just down the street on Blalock.. http://www.parafiahouston.com/ . The priest is nice, but I'm not catholic.

Polish society events can be found here: http://www.forum-polonia-houston.com/ Not like a high-nose society, but more like, come hang out with them if you're into international cultures..

Speaking of, the Polish film fest is going on this past weekend and upcoming weekend.. You'll find info at that the Forum Polonia.. All have English subtitles.

Editorial: I would say that most of the Poles who are in Houston are more of the intellectual types. Meaning: doctors, business owners, professors, than you might find in Chicago.. However those who came here in the 80's and 90's, their kids are not continuing the culture and society that those who left communism have.. I fear that the years are limited with the social aspect..

Cześć!

Archived