Hctra Updated Map

pineda

Good find.

The 290 Toll lanes are probably the next major concept to be pushed forward

Ultimately they want something like the Katy, but it will probably be too difficult inside the beltway.

Out side the beltway there is plenty of room to have toll lanes in the middle.

This toll concept would probably be quite sucessful.

Yes, that is the current plan.

Hempstead road has a ROW that is not being used to its fullest extent. The rail road shouldn't be a major problem, but it would have to stay there unlike the Westpark Toll road. The rail road is too busy.

There's no "new" news in that document, as far as I can tell. If anything, HCTRA seems to be focusing on projects we already knew were going to be built.

There is no indication of the extension of SH 249 inside Beltway 8.

Also, why are the US 290 toll lanes shown on the US 290 alignment inside Beltway 8, rather than Hempstead Road? Has there been a decision to to simply add the new capacity on the existing 290 ROW and then toll it? (I wouldn't be surpised in the present climate.)

My suspicion is that the poor financial performance of the Westpark Tollway is going to be a drag on HCTRA's finances, which will limit their ability to move forward with other risky projects. After all, the Sam Houston Tollway has a finite capacity to subsidize other toll roads, which is why HCTRA could be moving toward a cheaper alternative of building toll lanes on US 290.

Good point Max Concrete about 290. I notice how the Hempstead Hwy alignment for the toll portion was moved to mainlanes. I don't know if it is a mistake or not.

I know just outside of the beltway that the plan was to have the tollroad parrallel or move it to the center of the freeway like the Katy. I have four sheets from the City of Jersey village about what is planned. The freight corridor would be left alone and allowances to have a commuter rail would be part of the tollway project. Whenever Metro gets around to build the rail, room would be there. The main reason I came to this information is because I'm work with Jersey Village on the extension of Jones road south of US 290 to FM 529. It will eventually go to West Little York.

Maybe because the Katy Frwy concept went through that HCTRA thinks it can do it again for US 290. The concept seems to be also planned for SH288 , luckily the center median can handle it.

• 3 months later...
The main reason I came to this information is because I'm work with Jersey Village on the extension of Jones road south of US 290 to FM 529.  It will eventually go to West Little York.

I live and work in the area around Jones Road. Any time table on Jones Road Expansion. I have to take Britmore now which is a messy.

Jones road prelimnary engineering report was recently finshed reviewed with comments. We are addressing the County and Cities comments. I would expect construction within a year.

This will connect you from US 290 to FM 529. The extension to West Little York is outside of the Jersey Village City limits and will have to be handled by Harris County.

Slightly off topic, but related: Does anyone have any updated news on the 'proposed' commuter road/railine from Tomball to 610 that would cut through the Oak Forest area?

This was on the Metro 2025 plan and would use part of the rail line that crosses 43rd, but would cut due south through Shepherd Forest and Brookwood Estates per the map they floated. I don't recall if it would be rail or road.

Last I heard, the Oak Forest HOA, Dwayne Bohac (his district) and Toni Lawrence (her district too) were all dead against this, but the potential for HCTRA to come in and 'do what they want' is still there.

Slightly off topic, but related:  Does anyone have any updated news on the 'proposed' commuter road/railine from Tomball to 610 that would cut through the Oak Forest area? 

The tollway along that corridor was officially withdrawn from HGAC's official RTP which was recently approved. That means that the toll project is dead, at least until the next update of the RTP two or three years from now. See the HGAC web site for more info.

However, with the toll road dead, that makes commuter rail MORE likely, in my opinion. I still don't think commuter rail on that corridor is likely anytime soon, especially with Metro's priorities on other projects.

Archived