Circuit City stores close for good Sunday March 8th

BryanS

Hard to compete when you got a Best Buy and a Fry's within a couple of miles from you.

I don't know how everyone else thinks but i've converted a few walmart shoppers that buy ink there our customers. How "Good luck finding anyone to help you!" "You're already here do you feel like shuffling through all those baskets in the parking lot? to save 12 cents?" Sometimes being honest and offering good customer service works. I don't buy crap at frys(unless i need sata-4pin convertor and fans) I had a long battle with best buy once i wound up winning and never bought anything again. I think i went to the one by gulgate but walked out and went to gamestop.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Well, guess this thread is irrelevant. Which locations are closing?

All of them.

LOL, and yes, I did laugh at loud.

Nice one.

The abandoned strip malls of the 80's are coming back in fashion again I guess.

At least we can get some more Fallas Paredes, FAMSA, Big Lots, Factory-2-U's.

yay! :lol:

I worked at Service Merchandise for my first job back in the day, when I was 15. Most of their stuff was crap.

Yes I know. When I was a kid I used to frequent the store at gulfgate... Nothing but crap.

I like that... can/should I change my name to Hudson?

Im not sure I should as it may create some brand "regression". Let me dust off my marketing degrees...

The problem IMO is they can't compete with online vendors. You basically have to do your own product research as it is, so people who already know what they want will almost always find a better price online, and without sales tax (granted, you're supposed to ante up, but my guess is most people don't).

Take buying an HDMI cable for example. Circuit City charges $55 for a 4' HDMI cable. Best Buy charges $64 for a 4' HDMI cable. But I can go online and find one for less than $10. In fact, I bought several 3' HDMI cables from amazon.com awhile back for about $2 a piece. An HDMI cable is something you would expect to be an inexpensive last-minute item, yet every brick and mortar store insists on blatant price gouging on certain last-minute convenience items like cables. Since their selling model doesn't really add any value to the educated consumer, it's no surprise they are struggling. I am surprised that Best Buy is doing better, as I always thought they were more expensive and had worse customer service than CC.

A flaw in your reasoning is that you assume there are alot of educated consumers... and therefore americans. We all know most americans struggle to read anything of a technical nature and barely past a 7th grade level. I think you give americans too much credit.

A flaw in your reasoning is that you assume there are alot of educated consumers... and therefore americans. We all know most americans struggle to read anything of a technical nature and barely past a 7th grade level. I think you give americans too much credit.

I find it disappointing most people young, old, or the one's wearing a suit and tie, AND even these damn dr's don't read. Your kids teachers are the worst ones! I had a teacher trying to return some product 3 months later. "But ma'am the return policy is clearly stated on the back..14 day!" Her reply "I didn't read it! NO ONE READS THESE THINGS!" I bet if it said free whopper she'd read. :P

Guess we'll see if Best Buy or Conn's will take over any CC locations. There are some high-profile locations, such as Meyerland Plaza, which could use a BB once CC vacates.

The name says it all... stay clear. They will be next to go. Conn's is a terrible store. I went once to one of their scratch-and-dent "discount" stores... I could, for full retail price, buy a scratch-and-dent model... vs. a non-damaged unit, from one or their other locations! Sad. Lower income people were lined up, financing these new great purchases with CONS. Only rent-to-own stores are worse. I'm surprised they are even still around...

Not to worry about Best Buy. Wal-Mart will keep them in check.

• 4 weeks later...

Might as well turn this into a price drop thread.

As of Monday, at least in gaming.

30% off games (up from 20%)

30% off game accessories

20% off game consoles (if you can find them)

Still a decent selection of Wii/DS/PSP/360/PS2 games, while the PS3 game selection is dwindling.

But I heard today, at least in Detroit, they started 40%-70% off, and this weekend, it's 40%-80% off and by Monday the bottom will be at 50%.

Any truth in this? :unsure:

A friend of mine tried to go to the CC in the Galleria a couple days ago and he said it was already closed - paper on the windows and everything...

Erm, your friend is smoking some really good stuff. I was there Monday night. Plenty of stock, and not closed.

Drove by it last night too, open for business.

The paper on the windows is for advertising.

If he is thinking the Sharpstown location, yes, that closed already.

Might as well turn this into a price drop thread.

As of Monday, at least in gaming.

30% off games (up from 20%)

30% off game accessories

20% off game consoles (if you can find them)

40% off games

30% off game accessories

25% off game consoles PSP's and Xbox 360 GB systems were in stock when I was there last.

25% off televisions

40% off movie/tv shows and music

10% off Apple merchandise

40% off games

30% off game accessories

25% off game consoles PSP's and Xbox 360 GB systems were in stock when I was there last.

25% off televisions

100% nothing but junk left, that we cannot even give away.

100% nothing but junk left, that we cannot even give away.

Being by there yesterday, I was not thrilled about the prices of the items that were there. I had thought about one of the big screens, but, eh. To me that the prices only moved a tad.

Being by there yesterday, I was not thrilled about the prices of the items that were there. I had thought about one of the big screens, but, eh. To me that the prices only moved a tad.

I went yesterday too, the 6-10/Post Oak one still has Xbox 360's (60GB version) for $225 (normally $299) and PSP systems for $125 (normally $169). Both cheaper than anything I have seen online.

40% off games

30% off game accessories

25% off televisions

As of today.

50% off games

30% off game accessories

30% off game consoles Xbox 360 GB systems were still in stock.

30% off televisions

50% off movie/tv shows and music

As of today.

50% off games

30% off game accessories

30% off game consoles Xbox 360 GB systems were still in stock.

30% off televisions

50% off movie/tv shows and music

Time to make a trip to the Pearland store.

By the way are the salespeople nicer now? I went by T-Mobile store the other day and saw a new guy in there. I know I'd seen him somewhere :unsure: ...then I remebered it was Circuit City. He said he quit when they announced the 20% store closure. Good move.

Archived