Sign in to follow this  
BryanS

Circuit City stores close for good Sunday March 8th

The nation's second-largest consumer electronics retailer, behind Best Buy Co., plans to open 50 to 60 stores in the coming months in a new, smaller format that it calls the City. They'll be staffed with Generation Y employees carrying computer tablets to look up stats on any product in the company. Shelves have been cleared of merchandise with ho-hum sales to focus on blockbuster sellers. Computers, cameras and video games are all hooked up and ready for hands-on testing.

The staff recites such mottoes as "Keep it real" and holds twice-daily rituals of "shameless self-recognition."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/you...0,6471105.story

Sounds like a real winning format to me... The Gen Y employees in these stores (incl Best Buy) are bad enough as it is. Now they want to make that the center piece of their operations, in a smaller store, with less selection... So long Circuit City!

Edited by sevfiv

I've always prefered Circuit City to Best Buy but Best Buy appears to have them beat.

They moved their Humble location into the old Mervyn's at Deerbrook Mall. Grand opening was this past weekend.

The first thing I thought was "where are all the products".

But their video games on display were very nice. Same with the HD systems and living rooms.

Chris Rock said it best: "Yeah, you're keeping it real.. real damn dumb."

I think you said it right there -- "a smaller store, with less selection... So long Circuit City!"

I gave up going to Circuit City because it simply never had what I was looking for. It's a great store for wandering around and killing time when you want to buy something, but don't know what. But if you know what you're after, both Circuit City and Best Buy are worthless.

Fry's is the place to go if you know what you want, though I was recently surprised to find that for some items like hard drives and printers the office supply stores like Office Depot have lower prices and sometimes a better selection.

That said, Best Buy is trying to open a store in my building, so if that happens I'll give it another chance to win my heart. But I don't see me ever going to a store formatted like "The City." The idea just sounds stupid.

I agree, nothing is ever organized on the shelves.

I always end out just ordering online hoping to catch them off guard with a $24 gift card from the 24 minute guarantee. I have actually gotten one, just this past Christmas.

I think this makes perfect sense, as long as they have it in stock in the back room. What's the benefit in having mountains of crud out on the shelves for people to dishevel and steal? Half the stuff is either bolted to the display or locked in a display case anyways.

I think this makes perfect sense, as long as they have it in stock in the back room.
concur. bought 2 hdtvs and a computer this way and got them on discount for shopping online. i've had more trouble with best buy not having things in stock. :angry:

Imbeciles; it is as if they are attempting to bring Service Merchandise back from the dead. It FAILED HARD for a reason, ya know.

Imbeciles; it is as if they are attempting to bring Service Merchandise back from the dead. It FAILED HARD for a reason, ya know.

+1 Insightful.

What was the reason? I miss Service Merchandise.

I dunno, if done right this has a chance.

Most everyone shops online now anyways. Having a store that you can go to and actually pick up your merchandise immediately for the instant gratification factor might work.

Have a small display to show product demo's couldnt hurt either.

Service Merchandise lived in a different world, one without online shopping.

I've always found their prices to be higher. There's also something about the store layout that I don't like. I think it's all the diagonal aisles.

Circuit City just fell out of the S&P 500, replaced by Philip Morris. Stock has declined ~80%, over the past 12 months. Now trading under $5/share. Tick - tock - tick - tock ... time is almost out...

Circuit City just fell out of the S&P 500, replaced by Philip Morris. Stock has declined ~80%, over the past 12 months. Now trading under $5/share. Tick - tock - tick - tock ... time is almost out...

Best Buy buy out?

Best Buy buy out?

Well... at the rate they're going, there may not be anything worth any value to buy out by the time it is all over. No one wanted CompUSA... or Service Merchandise!

Well... at the rate they're going, there may not be anything worth any value to buy out by the time it is all over. No one wanted CompUSA... or Service Merchandise!

Very true. We're probably looking at a few thousand empty shells then.

You'd think there'd be a fire sale of their stuff to the public, but their merchandise, in the end, didn't have such great values from what I heard.

I worked at Service Merchandise for my first job back in the day, when I was 15. Most of their stuff was crap.

Stick with Conn's. It's headquartered in Beaumont. They sell to normal people and employee normal people. It seems to work well for them.

Link to story

I think their Houston area stores are doing well. If they must, they can close the one in Webster (I-45 S and Bay Area Blvd. The location is awkward, traffic isn't good and store is kind of small to me.

Texas stores closing:

4338 MCALISTER SQUARE 12640 SOUTH FREEWAY BURLESON TX 76028

4310 CEDAR PARK 1335 E WHITESTONE BLVD G CEDAR PARK TX 78613

3501 CENTRAL NORTH 10400 N CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY DALLAS TX 75231

540 SHARPSTOWN 7553 BELLAIRE BLVD HOUSTON TX 77036

4312 LEAGUE CITY 3270 S GULF FREEWAY LEAGUE CITY TX 77573

3809 MANSFIELD POINTE 1551 N HIGHWAY 287 MANSFIELD TX 76063

4248 MCKINNEY TOWNE 2050 WEST UNIVERSITY DR MCKINNEY TX 75071

3808 SHERMAN 4127 HIGHWAY 75 NORTH SHERMAN TX 75090

1611 TEMPLE 3310 SOUTH 31ST STREET TEMPLE TX 76502

One more Sharpstown store closing. That was not a very old store either. People are just not willing to venture into that area any more to shop.

Amazing how time flies. I remember we bought a frig at a Circuit City in West LA in 1989! They eventually came into Houston shortly after I think? Fry's cheap prices and availability of very rare DVD's help put them out of business I would say. Sayonara Circuit City! :)

Amazing how time flies. I remember we bought a frig at a Circuit City in West LA in 1989! They eventually came into Houston shortly after I think? Fry's cheap prices and availability of very rare DVD's help put them out of business I would say. Sayonara Circuit City! :)

Selection was always a problem at the Circuit Cities I'd visited. Best Buy always seemed to have more choices. And Fry's... Well, fuggedaboudit.

It's kind of sad, since it's been around so much longer than places like Best Buy...

But a previous poster was right... Best Buy has a better selection, better prices...and just seems better!

Plus, I like their color combo a lot better, and who can beat the Geek Squad with VW bugs?!?

The league city store just opened...Not long ago...(about 2 or 3 months!) CC sucks. The one is Pasadena sucks. No price tags, every associate is hanging out at fire dog. I went to buy a Windows Home Server...I just bought the damn parts from microcenter after not being able to get anyone to open the case...

Long overdue in my opinion. Textbooks should use Circuit City as a case study on how to succeed: take the existing Circuit City model, and do the complete opposite of what they did. Seriously, I dont think they've done anything right. Every time I've gone into a store (fewer and fewer times) I walk away each time convinced they are driving themselves into the ground on purpose. Its so obvious what is wrong with this place, and I dont even have a business degree.

Long overdue in my opinion. Textbooks should use Circuit City as a case study on how to succeed: take the existing Circuit City model, and do the complete opposite of what they did. Seriously, I don't think they've done anything right. Every time I've gone into a store (fewer and fewer times) I walk away each time convinced they are driving themselves into the ground on purpose. Its so obvious what is wrong with this place, and I don't even have a business degree.

I was just about to ask you were you a business major. You are right, I remember doing a cases over the AOL, Time Warner merger and Circuit City would be a great organization to do a SWOT analysis on.

It's kind of sad, since it's been around so much longer than places like Best Buy...

But a previous poster was right... Best Buy has a better selection, better prices...and just seems better!

Plus, I like their color combo a lot better, and who can beat the Geek Squad with VW bugs?!?

and BB Honda Elements.

I think Fire Dog uses Scion xB's

FWIW, we had two Circuit Citys here in Deming and when Walmart came in, we lost both of them. You could get the same merchandise for a much lower price at Walmart. Too bad, but there it is.

Stick with Conn's. It's headquartered in Beaumont. They sell to normal people and employee normal people. It seems to work well for them.

I went to the one on the Katy Freeway between Gessner and The Beltway once and the sales people were really annoying, and the prices were higher.

I went to the one on the Katy Freeway between Gessner and The Beltway once and the sales people were really annoying, and the prices were higher.

The few times I've ever been in a Conn's, that's been my experience also.

As in you will be conned if you shop there. The name says it all. Stay clear.

Regarding Circuit City... the only thing fitting for that store is Chapter 7 liquidation at this point. Shut'er down.

Yeah, I went a couple of times long ago and it was high prices and high pressure. They seemed like one step above rent-to-own, with the big draw being their easy credit terms.

All electronics store sucks when it come to customer service. You stand around for a long time looking for someone to help you, you get tossed around by associates who don't know what they're doing. Best Buy is just a quarter of an inch better than the rest of them. Just get the best bargain online and use free shipping or pick up in store if you're impatient.

By the way in an economy heading south, their line of business just have to suffer; new techy gadget's not life sustaining.

Yeah, I went a couple of times long ago and it was high prices and high pressure. They seemed like one step above rent-to-own, with the big draw being their easy credit terms.

Their target marget is lower middle class to middle class and uneducated. Their product is lesser quality. I bought a cheap no-frills dryer there for $199, and it did what it was supposed to do. I would not buy anything more technologically advanced than that at Conn's.

unfortunately, all the electronics stores are getting bad. you'd think a type of business that sells big ticket items would class it up just a bit or at the very least, hire employees who know a little bit about what they sell.

That's because Conn's pays all of its sales staff on commission.

The problem IMO is they can't compete with online vendors. You basically have to do your own product research as it is, so people who already know what they want will almost always find a better price online, and without sales tax (granted, you're supposed to ante up, but my guess is most people don't).

Take buying an HDMI cable for example. Circuit City charges $55 for a 4' HDMI cable. Best Buy charges $64 for a 4' HDMI cable. But I can go online and find one for less than $10. In fact, I bought several 3' HDMI cables from amazon.com awhile back for about $2 a piece. An HDMI cable is something you would expect to be an inexpensive last-minute item, yet every brick and mortar store insists on blatant price gouging on certain last-minute convenience items like cables. Since their selling model doesn't really add any value to the educated consumer, it's no surprise they are struggling. I am surprised that Best Buy is doing better, as I always thought they were more expensive and had worse customer service than CC.

The problem IMO is they can't compete with online vendors. You basically have to do your own product research as it is, so people who already know what they want will almost always find a better price online, and without sales tax (granted, you're supposed to ante up, but my guess is most people don't).

Take buying an HDMI cable for example. Circuit City charges $55 for a 4' HDMI cable. Best Buy charges $64 for a 4' HDMI cable. But I can go online and find one for less than $10. In fact, I bought several 3' HDMI cables from amazon.com awhile back for about $2 a piece. An HDMI cable is something you would expect to be an inexpensive last-minute item, yet every brick and mortar store insists on blatant price gouging on certain last-minute convenience items like cables. Since their selling model doesn't really add any value to the educated consumer, it's no surprise they are struggling. I am surprised that Best Buy is doing better, as I always thought they were more expensive and had worse customer service than CC.

Best buy doing better? Yeah don't hold your breath. i'll spare the story from last week in 10 min long line with one cashier.