Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Then who did? Not the daytime bussines owners, they desert Downtown at night. Not the two-eight-oners or the out of towners. Who is left besides the residents?

http://blogs.chron.com/bluebayou/2007/02/d..._the_impor.html

Downtown lost its luster within a year of the Super Bowl. The crowds went to the new trendy lounges and bars in midtown. The trendy money spending crowds left downtown. Instead many bars would be filled with ethnic crowds. Other bars simply had no crowds. Many Houston bar owners will tell you that is the death of a trendy bar or club whose income is based on attracting a young and beautiful crowd.

The bars and clubs closed because they didn't have enough customers/business. Those that are left had a solid business model or good marketing or loyal regulars.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Downtown lost its luster within a year of the Super Bowl. The crowds went to the new trendy lounges and bars in midtown. The trendy money spending crowds left downtown. Instead many bars would be filled with ethnic crowds. Other bars simply had no crowds. Many Houston bar owners will tell you that is the death of a trendy bar or club whose income is based on attracting a young and beautiful crowd.

The bars and clubs closed because they didn't have enough customers/business. Those that are left had a solid business model or good marketing or loyal regulars.

The most recent Houston Press talks about the bar scene on lower Main Street. Quite busy, if too "ethnic" for some. Of course, neither this article nor the one linked in the post you are answering says a thing about Downtown residents causing bar closures. That kind of behavior is more typical of new settlers in the Montrose (how many years has Rudz been there?) or along Washington (behind a bar that long pre-dated the current boom).

If I want a drink downtown, I'll get ethnic at Shay McElroy's. Not that I tend to go partying at the peak hours for the tragically hip. (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.)

I have lived downtown for the past 5 years and the previous posters are correct. The "scene" just moved on...just as it will with Midtown other than the staple nieghborhood bars. I'm not saying Midtown will die, but I wouldn't be supprised if Pub Fiction is no longer there 5 years from now.

I miss the old downtown.

I have lived downtown for the past 5 years and the previous posters are correct. The "scene" just moved on...just as it will with Midtown other than the staple nieghborhood bars. I'm not saying Midtown will die, but I wouldn't be supprised if Pub Fiction is no longer there 5 years from now.

I miss the old downtown.

Pub has WAYYYYY outlived the span of a typical Bar in Houston. Good ownership. And I still have NO idea how Red Door is still around :)

I do think the scene is slowing moving up to Washington. Who knows, maybe they're far enough apart (as compared to Downtown/Midtown) that the city can support both areas?

Don't know how Red Door is still open either :lol:

Washington is the new "it" place I suppose. I really don't hear of people even going to midtown anymore, rather a new spot on Washington. I drove down Washington yesterday afternoon and was amazed at all the bars going up. IMO, there are too many in such a small area. I also noticed the old Pig Stand's blue mosaic tilework is long gone...wish that was kept. Wonder where the new "it" spot will be after Washington dies down. When I started going out, Richmond was standing on it's last leg...then the wave moved to downtown...then midtown, now Washington

My guess is that they will both co-exist because the population numbers are there, especially in midtown with the new Apartment buildings in the area. Quite a few people that live in midtown will go to bars in those areas.

Now that there are more bars on "Wave" (ew), people, people can easily walk to a few of the bars as they do in Midtown and Rice U.

Over at Rice U, they appeal mostly to the residential area and College students along Morningside. The more mature people will go to Kelvin arms or the other places that are away from the douche' crowd.

Hi! See you at Reign!

NewJerseyDouchebags004.jpg

thatgirl.jpg

douchebags.jpg

image3401.jpg

NewJerseyDouchebags010.jpg

douchebag.gif

Is this an accurate prediction of how the Reign Lounge crowd is going to be? I was looking forward to trying this place when it opens up. Anyone know if it's open yet? I've been to some places on Washington earlier this year, and the crowd did not look this way. The people were pretty normal looking inner loop types.

Does anyone know the name of that bar that faces Waugh Dr. and is right on the other side of Chatters Bistro?

The name of the bar on the other side of Chatters is Kobain.

The pics above are of course a joke, but I would say there is a good chance the pics above resemble those who might frequent Reign. I predict Reign will attract the Drake crowd.

Is this an accurate prediction of how the Reign Lounge crowd is going to be? I was looking forward to trying this place when it opens up. Anyone know if it's open yet? I've been to some places on Washington earlier this year, and the crowd did not look this way. The people were pretty normal looking inner loop types.

Does anyone know the name of that bar that faces Waugh Dr. and is right on the other side of Chatters Bistro?

Doesn't the "douche" crowd specializes in peak times on weekend evenings? We old farts/regular folks/whatever ought to do our part by checking out bars on weekday nights or happy hours. Then returning to the good ones. Good neighborhood bars are worth nurturing.

(Note to self: Get off that 34 bus when it crosses Washington & start exploring! TV will wait...)

Doesn't the "douche" crowd specializes in peak times on weekend evenings? We old farts/regular folks/whatever ought to do our part by checking out bars on weekday nights or happy hours. Then returning to the good ones. Good neighborhood bars are worth nurturing.

(Note to self: Get off that 34 bus when it crosses Washington & start exploring! TV will wait...)

Oh, I agree, I try to hit the bars on a weeknight myself. I'm a Woodrows kinda' guy, and at my age, my shiny shirt days are long behind me.

Now that I think about it, I think anyone that does the shiny shirt thing after the age of 30 is pushing it.

Unless you're going to a salsa bar, then a poofy shirt is also okay.

Reign still remains unopened. The place that once was the daily grind has a new sign up "washington" something or other.. pub maybe? I am actually looking forward to that one.

It's my bday, I think we're going to try Dubliner (nothing special, we're celebrating Saturday) - but seems like a good place to grab a brew on a week night?

The place that once was the daily grind has a new sign up "washington" something or other.. pub maybe?

I think the name is something like "The Drinkery" or something, and is supposed to be pub-ish. From the guys who opened The Corkscrew. Looking forward to it, too.

The name of the bar on the other side of Chatters is Kobain.

The pics above are of course a joke, but I would say there is a good chance the pics above resemble those who might frequent Reign. I predict Reign will attract the Drake crowd.

Isn't the Drake crowd what's been in the news lately for the immature behavior at 2am? That's over by Pandora's though, so that's on the other end of Washington closer to downtown, so not even in Rice Military.

I'm hoping that Washington only goes as far as having up-tempo lounges rather than mainstream club type places. Not too big on the jam-packed dance clubs that charge covers like you used to find on Richmond 10 years ago. I think the difference between Washington and Richmond is the concept of all the places. Richmond was more about big dance floors and lights and DJs, while Washington is more of a mix of bars, pubs, and lounges that incorporate some dancing and dj-ing and/or live music like Midtown pubs. I think the latter if more of the thing nowadays. The late 90s style clubs have become out of style.

I'm bar and pub kind of guy, but when I'm out at night on weekends I want a more up-tempo place with either live music or lounge music. Anyone know of a spot on Washington that is an uptempo weekend night hot spot, but without the douche atmosphere? I'm looking for a good place to mingle with attractive girls, but I want a more intelligent crowd where the girls have social skills and are more responsive, rather than just taking up space in the bar as a douchebag ornament. Hopefully some of you are hip to the nightlife scene and can point me in the right direction.

It's my bday, I think we're going to try Dubliner (nothing special, we're celebrating Saturday) - but seems like a good place to grab a brew on a week night?

People like different things in bars, but I think Dubliner would be a good choice for a celebratory drink on a weeknight. (I posted above after my visit there last Thursday.) Weather should be nice on the patio. Like at the Harp, just try to be first to the internet jukebox...

Im trying out shuck daddys tonight.. called for happy hour specials and they said "all our beer is 3.75" we better be talking about some damn good beer... will keep you guys posted.

Bailed on Dubliner, going to Hans Bier Garten in Rice because I want Bday Bocce!!

I am excited for some of these 'Pubs' in the Heights.

My favorite bar on earth is Coaches in Midtown.

I think Midtown will survive. The residential population alone will keep most Midtown bars alive, and it looks like more is being built. I think the overall gentrification of the inner loop won't let any of these nightlife areas go away anytime soon.

I don't think the East End will take off as a new nightlife destination like a lot of people, though.

I think Midtown will survive. The residential population alone will keep most Midtown bars alive, and it looks like more is being built. I think the overall gentrification of the inner loop won't let any of these nightlife areas go away anytime soon.

I don't think the East End will take off as a new nightlife destination like a lot of people, though.

There is a nightlife of sorts along harrisburg and I think Canal Street, but it's more along the line of Tejano and Cantinas, places that *I* would never go to, much less anyone from here.

Isn't the Drake crowd what's been in the news lately for the immature behavior at 2am? That's over by Pandora's though, so that's on the other end of Washington closer to downtown, so not even in Rice Military.

I'm hoping that Washington only goes as far as having up-tempo lounges rather than mainstream club type places. Not too big on the jam-packed dance clubs that charge covers like you used to find on Richmond 10 years ago. I think the difference between Washington and Richmond is the concept of all the places. Richmond was more about big dance floors and lights and DJs, while Washington is more of a mix of bars, pubs, and lounges that incorporate some dancing and dj-ing and/or live music like Midtown pubs. I think the latter if more of the thing nowadays. The late 90s style clubs have become out of style.

I'm bar and pub kind of guy, but when I'm out at night on weekends I want a more up-tempo place with either live music or lounge music. Anyone know of a spot on Washington that is an uptempo weekend night hot spot, but without the douche atmosphere? I'm looking for a good place to mingle with attractive girls, but I want a more intelligent crowd where the girls have social skills and are more responsive, rather than just taking up space in the bar as a douchebag ornament. Hopefully some of you are hip to the nightlife scene and can point me in the right direction.

Yep, Drake is right by Pandora, but the crowd at Drake is very douche-like and IMO, I'm thinking Reign will attract the likes of the Drake crowd.

As for me, I always have a good time at Etro off Westheimer near Montrose...the dj plays 80s music which I love :)

Yep, Drake is right by Pandora, but the crowd at Drake is very douche-like and IMO, I'm thinking Reign will attract the likes of the Drake crowd.

As for me, I always have a good time at Etro off Westheimer near Montrose...the dj plays 80s music which I love :)

I've been to Etro Lounge. Loved the ambiance of the place itself, but didn't care for some of the crowd there. The people looked messed up on drugs, and I was too tired at the time to scan for decent girls. Back to Washington scene, apparently Ei8ht has been open for at least a week and is poised to become the new "it" spot on Washington. I checked out the reviews on citysearch and has a few already. Most of the reviews are positive, some negative. I'm not sure if the place is douche-repellent or not, but from what I've read, it has already attracted the kind of people who like to be seen at the "it" spots, and there have been crowds outside the front trying to get in. I'm definitely going to check it out. Anyone on here been yet? I wish I would have gone opening weekend before word got around and the masses start showing up. Now I may have to wait until things settle down a bit, which could take months, or I could just get there early since it is a multi-purpose concept place. Hopefully Reign Lounge will open up soon, and draw in some of the Ei8ht crowd, so that way neither place is too overcrowded.

I think it's safe to say that Washington is no longer an inner loop secret. It's become high profile, which is okay with me as long as all these bars and lounges remain classy or at least respectable, even if some of the customers aren't.

There is a nightlife of sorts along harrisburg and I think Canal Street, but it's more along the line of Tejano and Cantinas, places that *I* would never go to, much less anyone from here.

My workers especially like JB's on Canal Street, and apparently it gets a little bit of high society...when the politicians are campaigning, at the very least.

It's become high profile, which is okay with me as long as all these bars and lounges remain classy or at least respectable, even if some of the customers aren't.

I know plenty of fellow Midtown residents that would love for the bars to move to Washington for this very reason.

I was driving down Washington yesterday and noticed a new bar opening up with a doorway that looks like a barrell. Anyone know anything about this one?

Also, I tried to look for Ei8ht Lounge, but I didn't see it. I was driving from Studemont all the way to T.C. Jester. Is it on a side street? Anyone been there yet and tried it out?

I was driving down Washington yesterday and noticed a new bar opening up with a doorway that looks like a barrell. Anyone know anything about this one?

Also, I tried to look for Ei8ht Lounge, but I didn't see it. I was driving from Studemont all the way to T.C. Jester. Is it on a side street? Anyone been there yet and tried it out?

eight is RIGHT next to the barrell entrance place.

across the street theres something else....the owner or GC presumably is there ALL the time. really noticeable escalade out front. douchebar or not , gotta respect that kinda work ethnic. was there at 10 or 11 last nt and sparks were flyin

Archived