Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

I thought Bronx Bar was going to be close to Blue Label? There are people working on the purple warehouse ALL DAY.

It is, Bronx Bar is planned to be the old firestation next to Blue Label (small brown building). They are having problems opening because the city is requiring a parking plan for them.

i.e. The owners have to show an ability to provide parking for tenants in order to open. That's why you'll see all the newer restaurants/bars have valet parking. It's not just for convenience anymore...

I have a feeling Bronx Bar won't be able to open until that parking garage for the shopping center across the street gets built. They would then be able to contract it out for night-events.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bronx bar is delayed by "toilet problems" i heard from one of the owners. no idea

which one is the purple one by urban living? tons of work being done. blue escalade on 26s always parked in front. i noticed the weird roof stuff this week also

The two bars on the N side of Washington in b/w Roy and Reinerman are making good progress. It looks like they are pouring cement in the 'front yard' of the larger bar soon and that physically, it is nearing completion. As someone who lives 3 blocks south of these 3 bars (including the purple one referenced above), I am very concerned about parking. Anyone know what is planned on this front? The Pearl Bar parking-disaster situation should obviously not be the model here. The purple bar and across Roy from the larger bar appear to have dedicated lots, although woefully too small for what will likely be big crowds at night. There is not much parking in the surrounding areas, as narrow streets have ditches for shoulders.

This definitely looks like it will bring a critical mass of bars to the area just west of Shepherd/Durham.

Did anyone see the story on channel 2 last night? They were brodcasting from across the street from pearl bar. Talked about the super neighborhood 22 meeting and the problems with parking and general drunken lewdness in the area. Pearl bar says they arent the problem bc they rent out 5 lots for the valets to park cars. I call Bullshit. Not everyone valet parks lady.

There is no question that Pearl Bar is the problem. That said, the city should not have issued permits without demanding a better parking solution. Hopefully that error is corrected with the trio of bars set to open near Washington & Roy.

I agree that the parking problems are significant in the corridor.

The optimist side of me hopes this will be a positive and expedite the city to fill in the open gutters to widen the neighborhood streets for parking and traffic.

That is something that needs to be done in this whole area anyway.

With that being said, how did/does Midtown solve their parking problems? I don't see Midtown having huge vacant lots for parking, just that they do have the actual underground gutters to ease curbside parking.

Following up on the "purple" warehouse.

I just received a "notice of application" today in the mail.

Type of permit: Mix beverage, Late hours

Type of Business: Bar

Trade Name of Business: Blue Book

Address: 5219 Washington Ave.

Houston, TX 77007

Owner's Name: Alan Chan, Tamer Aly, Saleem Fernandez

Just thought I'd share.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told my a very reliable source that Bronx Bar on Washington is a no-go now due to permit issues. I have no idea what kind of permit issue it is, but according to him there are too many liquor licenses on the block near the proposed Bronx, so that's why it is a no-go...for now anyway. Anyone else hear this or know any info?

It's got a terrible name, but I'm glad they're at least incorporating the old structure into the build-out.

It's a pretty cool looking facade in my opinion.

I agree. One good thing about all the new bars on Washington are that they are all using the original buildings (Ei8ht, Busty LaRou's, and that new one across the street from them).

• 2 weeks later...

I got to check out the Dubliner last night.

The Dubliner (technically, the Auld Dubliner) is the bar now occupying the old Chaise Lounge space across from Pearl Bar and next to (or almost next to) Walter's. It's been in limbo for a while as they did some redecorating and waited for the license name to change over. But they've been open, and I think even had their official opening last week. One of the owners is affiliated with the Harp, and another is a Harp regular - hence the Irish name, other Irish touches, and the internet jukebox.

Physically, the bar hasn't changed too drastically. The layout is pretty much the same as it was, and they've still got the nice back courtyard/patio. They've also still got the small parking lot across the street, which is handy. But, inside, the black and white floor is gone (replaced, I think, by concrete), the sofas are gone (now it's all tables and chairs), and there's beer stacked along one wall. There was also a TV, and a group watching the Rockets.

I've been told that the Dubliner wants to be a neighborhood bar, and nothing about my visit led me to think otherwise. Everyone I spoke to connected with the bar or just there drinking was friendly, and the atmosphere was laid-back and pretty similar to that at the Harp. In fact, it's probably got even more of a neighborhood-bar feel to it than the Harp because of its size. I can see it attracting some of the Walter's post-show people, and so possibly getting a bit of a Rudz/PG-type crowd as well. All of which I think is great, as long as the place doesn't end up getting too packed.

I asked about the hours (because Chaise Lounge used to not open until 8). The Dubliner is open 7 days a week, and is currently opening each day at 5pm. At some point, they hope to start opening at 3pm. Another possible down-the-road plan is to expand the back porch.

Yay Dubliner! In my opinion, it's a very welcome addition to Washington Avenue. I think it already got a good review or two above - if anyone else has gotten to stop by, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I plan on swinging by there tonight to see the changes! Hopefully we can keep it from turning out the way Pearl Bar did... So upsetting seeing such a good bar go sour. Can't wait for a car bomb and a blacksmith!

I plan on swinging by there tonight to see the changes! Hopefully we can keep it from turning out the way Pearl Bar did... So upsetting seeing such a good bar go sour. Can't wait for a car bomb and a blacksmith!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it, what is the building next t E8ght bar going to be -the one with the big wood barrel for the door?

Ei8ht was packed this weekend. I'm glad to see queues forming to enter a Houston bar. Washington has become a destination, but I'm concerend about the long term viability of more bars on this street. If a very small residential community could drive away the bars in Downtown, how much better will Washington bars fair?

If a very small residential community could drive away the bars in Downtown, how much better will Washington bars fair?

Can you explain what you mean by this? I don't understand, how did a small residential community drive away the bars? Was it residential compaining or lack of residents?

Eight's owners have a LONG history in Houston. Their bars last long than another other bars and clubs (besides The Tavern). Smart ownership and management while remaining friendly to patrons goes a long way.

As for parking - someone asked how midtown fixed parking? Fixed? Unless you're going to Coaches (which has a large lot and tows) - you drive around in circles for 25 minutes if you're like me until you find one, or valet.

I HATE valeting due to a) short sited developing or B) they closed the whole strip center parking lot and the valte charges $10-20 to park your car 15 feet away.

I was celebrating my birthday at The Lot on Saturday and at about 2AM there were about 15 police cruisers right at the corner of Washington and Thompson.

Turns out a driver struck a police officer that was standing in the road and drove off. I wonder what the city's plans are to provide a safer pedestrian environment for Washington. At first thought, I would think they'd close the streets to traffic on weekends (a la 6th street), but I don't that would work since there is nowhere else to route the traffic around Washington.

Moral of the story, be super careful crossing the street and expect cars to stop at 2AM!

Archived