Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Sounds like Washington is well on its way to becoming a major rival to Austin's 6th street.

I don't think it will rival 6th St.....Wash. Ave. will be "hot" for a few years then die. People will look for the next happening scene. Maybe the revival of Richmond or a Warehouse District, East Downtown boom.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's going to be a bar (of course) called The Usual.

I stopped by opening night last Saturday and it was low-key but a decent amount of folks there. Room for a band to play and a good (and nicely priced) selection of beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Is The Usual just beer?

Checked the TABC listings again and saw that there is an application pending for a mixed beverages license for 5110 Washington. Trade name "Busty LaRue's".

Looks like the most recent license granted on Washington is for The Usual. But then right before that is one for something with the trade name "The Lot on Washington" at 4212 Washington. Which is what, right next to Pearl Bar (4216)?

I got a letter in the mail the other day from TABC saying that someone was applying for a liquor liscence within 500 feet (or maybe yards I dont really recall) from my home. Sounds like the "lot" is going to be the place. Joy, more people in the streets.

I got a letter in the mail the other day from TABC saying that someone was applying for a liquor liscence within 500 feet (or maybe yards I dont really recall) from my home. Sounds like the "lot" is going to be the place. Joy, more people in the streets.

Well, at least it's not "Busty LaRue's"...

I did look at the info given to see if there was any obvious connection between the Lot application and Pearl Bar, but didn't see any. Just picturing it in my head, but I guess if 4212 is not the little side Pearl parking lot, it's that lot just to the east where people sometimes park. There's some sort of structure there.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving down Shepherd (south of Washingto) the other day and saw renovations being done for a place that looked like it was called Bare Bar.

It's in a small strip center directly behind the Walgreens (between Shepherd and Durham).

Anybody have any info on this bar? It looks like it could be pretty swanky...

The sign for "the lot" is up. They are directly next to pearl. Also saw we are getting a Zoes kitchen in the new prosperity bank building. Im pretty excited about that one. Chaise lounge is being turned into the Dubliner by the same folks who own the harp.

I was driving down Shepherd (south of Washingto) the other day and saw renovations being done for a place that looked like it was called Bare Bar.

Could it have been Rare Bar?

Chaise lounge is being turned into the Dubliner by the same folks who own the harp.

Was wondering what the name was going to be... thanks for the update.

That's probably it: Rare Bar...hard to read the sign on the door as you're driving by!

It seems pretty small to be a real swanky place, but too nice to be a dive bar...interesting what type of atmosphere and demographic they're targeting...

From what I understand, they are going for an upscale bar feel and will serve fancy hamburgers and such. I have no idea what qualifies as a "fancy" burger, so we'll see how that pans out B)

From what I understand, they are going for an upscale bar feel and will serve fancy hamburgers and such. I have no idea what qualifies as a "fancy" burger, so we'll see how that pans out B)

Oh, so this may be the same place as the one in NYC. I heard there's a Rare Bar in NYC, which is known and famous for its burgers.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some info from my friend in the restaurant industry (we did discuss this while drinking, so my deets may be a little off)...

*Pub on Washington - 5102 Washington - it IS from the Pub Fiction people, but they want it to be a little different than Pub Fiction (I really hope so... I really don't want a frat party in my neighborhood every night!). This one seems to be coming right along - there are people there all the time.

*Busty LaRoue's (the smaller building) - 5120 Washington - Formerly Taps House of Beers (that apparently fell through), and they are having some problems now getting BL's off the ground too... Hrm. She's not really sure what this place will be either.

And on a side note... I really dig The Usual on TC Jester. It's what Pearl Bar was before the trendies took over. Great beer/wine/liquor selection and friendly bartenders. Not too sure about the Thursday/Saturday night karaoke... but whatevs, it's a nice neighborhood hangout!

I second the fact that the Usual is a great little place to go. Wish that the outside area had speakers though. I suppose I shouldnt complain. "The Lot" next to pearl bar and Reign lounge both are coming along nicely, if you could call it that. I wish Benjys would get their act together and open for happy hour. GRUMBLE.

From this week's building permits and liquor license applications, it looks like:

(1) There's a new bar planned for 5219 Washington ("ADDITION AND CONVERT RETAIL TO BAR") - The Reddi Room moved to this location in 1995 - I was out of town then, but I think it must have closed soon after. Looks like there was a Viviana's Nite Club there in 1998, but its liquor license expired in 2006.

(2) The Dubliner applied for a Liquor License (under the name "Auld Dubliner")

(3) Busty LaRue's license application is still pending

(4) The Social is adding a kitchen ("BAR/LOUNGE BLDG ADDITION FOR KITCHEN")

Trisha Takanawa reporting in NORTHWEST Houston? What?

The locals only need to wait out the Washington bars. The noisy, $60,000 millionaire ones will be gone in a couple of years, if not sooner.

The bars that really cause problems for neighbors are the ones that are permanent fixtures, such as Rudyard's in the middle of Hyde Park. Those are the bars that should have been blocked by zoning...

I may be wrong, but I think Rudyard's has been there way longer than most of the houses in that area. That is like complaining about living next to a RR track when you knew it was already there.

Ha. Imagine, Rudyards has been there since 1980 or 81. To think it could have zoned out the townhomes!

Trisha Takanawa reporting in NORTHWEST Houston? What?

The locals only need to wait out the Washington bars. The noisy, $60,000 millionaire ones will be gone in a couple of years, if not sooner.

The bars that really cause problems for neighbors are the ones that are permanent fixtures, such as Rudyard's in the middle of Hyde Park. Those are the bars that should have been blocked by zoning...

Quite sure that Walter's is not going anywhere, and Walter's precedes its complaining townhome neighbors.

A few Houstonist articles (with videos) on the subject to add to the mix:

http://houstonist.com/2009/02/10/a_couple_weeks_ago_we.php

http://houstonist.com/2009/01/29/pandoras_box_is_leaking.php

I miss the old Washington Avenue. (big surprise; I hate everything new... :rolleyes:) But as long as Wabash and Guadalajara stay put, I won't entirely lose my mind.

Archived