Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

it appeared to me to be 3 to 1 women to men, mostly because of two relatively large all female groups that appeared to be 'girls night out'.

considering Beaver's is a Monica Pope establishment, every night may be "girl's night out" with many of those ladies. ;)

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah, on the south side at Sabine - and I have heard good things...except that some time ago I received a forwarded email about financial troubles the restaurant is having and may end up closing. Hopefully that has been remedied!

http://www.brokenspokecafe.com/

what i heard was that it was supposed to close a couple weeks ago, right when all these heights peeps started flocking in. one woman said there were people talking to the owners about buying it while she was eating there. but maybe the word of mouth bought them more time? i hope so!

is the broken spoke on washington? not a bar but supposed to be a good little restaurant. a lot of heights families have been chattering about it on the Heights Kids forum and everyone is smitten. apparently, they were going to have to close shop but got some publicity in the 'hood and business has picked up. HAIFers need to try it out and see what you think. we are going to try and go by next week and see if all the other families are right :)

I am ethically opposed to the Broken Spoke for their disrespect for the bike lane, legal or not.

I went to the Flat over the weekend over off of West Gray and Commonwealth, and apparently the same owners have a place called Block 21 on Washington and Sawyer. The reason I mention this is because at the Flat, they have the best frozen mojitos I've ever tasted, maybe even the best mixed/frozen drink I've ever tasted, and they serve the same ones over at Block 21. They aren't very strong, so you can enjoy a few of them in one night. If you are in the area, I strongly recommend trying them out. I plan to check out Block 21 this weekend along with the Drinkery, which some of you have said is good.

Sometimes I play poker with the owner of the Flat, and those mojitos won an award from the Houston Press.

Sawyer park is owned by the same folks as Drake.

That explains the "no sports jersey" dress code and their whole parking lot on a Monday is valet parking at a place that calls itself a "sports bar". It is supposed to be a different kind of high end sports bar i.e. a lounge. They may also have to cut down on the club /DJ music during games. I predict a change, or they will not attract the Heights or 6th ward crowds.

For them to be successful and attract football season crowds they may have to switch a to a Pub Fiction (in Midtown) like sports bar model where you can spent all day Sunday or Saturday watching football and not worry about dress codes.

For them to be successful and attract football season crowds they may have to switch a to a Pub Fiction (in Midtown) like sports bar model where you can spent all day Sunday or Saturday watching football and not worry about dress codes

They are already adopting this model from what I've seen. There is no dress code until about 10:00 or 11:00 on weekends and it's not very strict.

I don't think anyone coming to the bar at that time is really there to watch sports anyway.

They also aren't kicking anyone out that was already there.

They are already adopting this model from what I've seen. There is no dress code until about 10:00 or 11:00 on weekends and it's not very strict.

I don't think anyone coming to the bar at that time is really there to watch sports anyway.

They also aren't kicking anyone out that was already there.

Live! used to do this. Very jarring to be watching a game and the d-bag DJ and his posse arrive to set up shop. Live! closed a little while back, if that tells you anything about how that format works. I don't need pretentiousness in my sports bar. Sounds like I'm still looking.

Live! used to do this. Very jarring to be watching a game and the d-bag DJ and his posse arrive to set up shop.

You mean Deke? ;)

Anyway, I don't think they went out of business due to a format problem. I know enough to know that there might have been some serious money mismanagement issues.

You mean Deke? ;)

Anyway, I don't think they went out of business due to a format problem. I know enough to know that there might have been some serious money mismanagement issues.

I don't really care why they went under. For 5 years, I officed in that building and didn't go to the bar in my own building because I hated that format so much. I wouldn't doubt the mismanagement, though, from what I know.

Live! closed a little while back, if that tells you anything about how that format works.

The format has worked very well for Pub Fiction and it will most likely work with this place.

Live Sports has little to nothing in common with Sawyer, besides the fact that they both have TV's.

There's a ton of options for casual sports bars so I don't see any problem with a place that wants to draw both crowds.

I don't recall Tavern turning into a niteclub with DJ at night, but I don't go there, so maybe they changed. Only been to Pub once, and never thought of it as a sports bar at all. Never been to Mezzanine. If that is what they draw, good for them. I just won't be there. And there are actually far fewer casual sports bars around than one might think. There are several dumps, but few casual bars. The "problem" with these dual concepts is that they only put on the Astros, Rockets, Texans and Longhorns for the t-shirt fan, and little else. Their main goal is to be a niteclub. By definition, that means they do neither that well. But, for the people that only watch sports to be seen, it probably works well. For those who may want to watch the Florida-Georgia game or the NC State=Wake Forest basketball game, these hybrids will blow you off, as they are only interested in showing what the D-bags want to watch. The D-bags, having dropped out of Sam or SFA, only watch UT and act like they went there.

Front Porch Swing is similar to what I'm talking about. Wish they had a couple of TVs on the patio.

I don't recall Tavern turning into a niteclub with DJ at night, but I don't go there, so maybe they changed. Only been to Pub once, and never thought of it as a sports bar at all. Never been to Mezzanine. If that is what they draw, good for them. I just won't be there. And there are actually far fewer casual sports bars around than one might think. There are several dumps, but few casual bars. The "problem" with these dual concepts is that they only put on the Astros, Rockets, Texans and Longhorns for the t-shirt fan, and little else. Their main goal is to be a niteclub. By definition, that means they do neither that well. But, for the people that only watch sports to be seen, it probably works well. For those who may want to watch the Florida-Georgia game or the NC State=Wake Forest basketball game, these hybrids will blow you off, as they are only interested in showing what the D-bags want to watch. The D-bags, having dropped out of Sam or SFA, only watch UT and act like they went there.

Front Porch Swing is similar to what I'm talking about. Wish they had a couple of TVs on the patio.

COACHES IN MIDTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I was so mad a few years ago when they had a DJ on weekends - thank God that stopped).

As for Pub Fiction - they do an honest effort to cater to sports fan OUTSIDE of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. In fact, I think it's the Houston Howdy club's watch location (I could be dead wrong). Bu I do agree that those places are nightclubs first and sports bars second. Since my wife and I met I much prefer 100% sports bars like Porch Swing and Coaches. Maybe Sawyer will change, though I doubt it.

dresses.jpg

Took this yesterday, it's right across the street from the Shell on Washington... Mannequins with dresses in the windows...? A new resale shop? Another Dean's Credit Clothing? There were more dresses hanging (randomly, not on racks, that I could tell) inside. Looked like they were adding a little bricked patio with palm trees on the side too.

Anyone know what it is?

I've heard that the warehouse-y building in the parking lots on Washington @ Roy is going to be a country bar... anyone know any more about that? Is it going to be that "Busty LaRoue's" place, maybe? That sounds country. Someone did spray paint "Honky Tonk Honky Tonk" on the side of the building this weekend, and they put up some raw wooden tree trunks as posts in the front, so it is looking pretty country!

Canvas

5002 Washington

It's definitely looking country... (photos taken this morning)

All the "windows" were painted on the building yesterday and today.

countrybar.jpg

countrybar2.jpg

Raw timbers for the side patio:

countrybar3.jpg

Rundown of bars in that area:

*Canvas - 5002 Washington

*Busty LaRue's - 5110 Washington

*Ei8ht - 5102 Washington

*Taps House of Beers- 5120 Washington

*Blue Book - 5219 Wash (former purple bldg)

dresses.jpg

Took this yesterday, it's right across the street from the Shell on Washington... Mannequins with dresses in the windows...? A new resale shop? Another Dean's Credit Clothing? There were more dresses hanging (randomly, not on racks, that I could tell) inside. Looked like they were adding a little bricked patio with palm trees on the side too.

Anyone know what it is?

I have been wondering about the mannequins too! They have graced the windows for about a month now. Whoever has moved into Casa's needs to take down the catering signage

Subject: Catherine Duwez: Now at The Broken Spoke Permanently!

Catherine Duwez: Now at The Broken Spoke Permanently!

In case you haven't heard, Catherine Duwez has become a permanent part of

The Broken Spoke Cafe! Catherine, the previous owner of Cafe Montrose, will

be bringing her expertise in French and Belgian cuisine. Over the next

several days we will be working on a new combined menu featuring the best of

Cafe Montrose and The Broken Spoke Cafe. Since the close of Cafe Montrose,

Catherine has been operating as a "movable feast" with a loyal base of

customers who followed her. Catherine would like to sincerely thank all of

her loyal customers who supported her over the last eight months. Now she

has a permanent location so be sure to stop in.

New Beer Additions

With Belgian food comes Belgian beer! In addition to our previous selections

(Shiner, Guinness, Fat Tire, Bud, Bud Light, & Strongbow), we have added a

few new Belgian favorites. On tap we now have Stella Artois and Chimay

White. In bottles we have added Chimay Blue and Duvel.

For all of our wine-drinking patrons, The Broken Spoke Cafe is a BYOB

establishment so feel free to Bring Your Own WINE! No corkage fee.

For more information on menu, hours, parking, directions and more go to

http://www.brokenspokecafe.com/ or call

us at 713-863-7029

Grand Re-Opening Celebration With all of these changes, we feel like a new

restaurant in many ways. Well, every new restaurant needs a GRAND OPENING

PARTY! Come on out and celebrate our new partnership. The festivities will

begin on Friday, July 31st at 6PM. In honor of our loyal customers we will

be offering Happy Hour prices all night

New Beer Additions

us at 713-863-7029

This may be the best news I have heard all year.

New Beer Additions

us at 713-863-7029

Family issues was the only reason Cafe Montrose closed sadly. Food was good, the place almost always had a crowd!

BTW, for those of you who do not know, the Beligium consulate "house" is only a few blocks down in the 6th Ward. May be some diplomatic customers never hurt anyone!

This is great news!

COACHES IN MIDTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I was so mad a few years ago when they had a DJ on weekends - thank God that stopped).

As for Pub Fiction - they do an honest effort to cater to sports fan OUTSIDE of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. In fact, I think it's the Houston Howdy club's watch location (I could be dead wrong). Bu I do agree that those places are nightclubs first and sports bars second. Since my wife and I met I much prefer 100% sports bars like Porch Swing and Coaches. Maybe Sawyer will change, though I doubt it.

I agree. Pub Fiction DOES do a good job for Sports fans. It is an awesome place for Saturday college football and Sunday NFL football if you are a fantasy geek. Hopefully, Sawyer Park will change when the revenues do not come in as expected. It will be a shame to close a very nice building in a year or two.

Irfan

Which one do you speak of? Front Porch or Porch Swing... Both have tv's on the patio, although I would say that Porch Swing's are better shaded, therefore easier to see. I used to fill in as a bartender there on the weekends and they are more than happy to change channels for anyone who wants to watch a different game. If they do give you any grief talk to Brooke, she's the waitstaff manager and will take care of you, let her know Dustin sent you.

Archived