Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Maybe the latest bar fad will be elaborate retro 80s Cheers bars. The anti-Anvil. :lol: No artisanal salt or fresh herb garnishes in sight!

that's already happening at anvil. if they don't know your name you get little service. NORM

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do people still go to Drake? I drove by at 10:15pm on Saturday (granted, that's fairly early for them to have a crowd), and it was DEAD. Just wondering if Eight, Blue Lable, Knox, etc have stolen their customers.

It doesn't get started there until 11-12. I went a few weeks ago and thought the same thing. Then I went to the bathroom, walked back out, and bam - the place was packed. I didn't understand where all of the people came from.

... It is the jackasses that drive in from pearland in their huge trucks who park all over my yard and rip it up...

LARGE, decorative rocks. My sister's house is on the outside of a weird curve, and their mailbox got nailed twice. Then the rocks came, and the result was a broken axel and a safe mailbox.

It is the jackasses that drive in from pearland in their huge trucks who park all over my yard and rip it up.

I was there Saturday, all the way from Pearland! What a mess it was.

Sorry about your yard; Many people showing a lack of respect for others property as you point, but really there is not enough parking areas/spaces for the crowds they are drawing.

I was seriously considering large rocks in the yard, but then I limit parking for my own guests. Maybe I will get one of those air soft guns and start shooting folks. I imagine the pellets dont hurt all that much, and everyone is so drunk they will have no idea where the shots came from! ;)

Have you attended your local Civic Club meetings at all?

My Civic club had attentative City of Houston Parking Division officials at our last meeting to discuss the possibility of Residential Parking Permits.

Such a program is in place around the Med Center, as the local residents had a similar problem due to Med Center Employees/Students trying to avoid paid parking.

They did acknowledge they were very understaffed and a phone call to the parking division would be the best way to attract attention to your situation.

I was seriously considering large rocks in the yard, but then I limit parking for my own guests. Maybe I will get one of those air soft guns and start shooting folks. I imagine the pellets dont hurt all that much, and everyone is so drunk they will have no idea where the shots came from! ;)

Maybe you should just put up a sign at night that says "Self Parking $100 a car". That should scare off most people (and give you a nice chunk of change for those willing to pay it). :D

Water balloons. They're silent and they'll never know what hit them. :D

So Reign Lounge is finally open. Anyone who lives close by care to go there and check it out and give us a critique? I want to know if it's a cool place before I make the trip from Champions. I don't want to go if it's completely lame. Then again, it's not like there aren't options nearby.

I'm guessing that Reign's web promotion and the fact that it was opening weekend made for the heavier traffic. It'll eventually die down though. The good thing about having a bunch of lounges and bars in the area is that you won't have one single place drawing huge crowds all the time, once its initial hype wears off. I always stay away from places the first 3 or 4 weeks after opening, because all the douchiest guys in town swarm these places at first, then move on. It's almost like they do nothing but sit at home and wait for night time so they can go out.

So Reign Lounge is finally open. Anyone who lives close by care to go there and check it out and give us a critique? I want to know if it's a cool place before I make the trip from Champions. I don't want to go if it's completely lame. Then again, it's not like there aren't options nearby.

I'm guessing that Reign's web promotion and the fact that it was opening weekend made for the heavier traffic. It'll eventually die down though. The good thing about having a bunch of lounges and bars in the area is that you won't have one single place drawing huge crowds all the time, once its initial hype wears off. I always stay away from places the first 3 or 4 weeks after opening, because all the douchiest guys in town swarm these places at first, then move on. It's almost like they do nothing but sit at home and wait for night time so they can go out.

Yet you're waiting at home for other HAIFers to check out the scene* at the new bar!

* Example of outdated slang used by many of us old farts. You really expect us to know what's cool? The coolest thing happening in my neighborhood is Saturday, July 18th: Los Skarnales, Flaco Jimenez, Brave Combo & Los Pistoleros of Texas will be playing Fitzgerald's. Not on Washington, but close. Walking distance for me. So I don't have to risk meeting the other HAIFers on this thread who are planning to use boulders & water balloons to convince you kids to Get Off Their Lawns!

(Mostly kidding. Have fun & drive safely.)

Sure, I'll go. Shoot me a pic first, and I'll text you if there any hot women who will agree to talk to you. ;):lol:

I can't bust you too badly; when I was young we used to send recon into the bar to see if any of 'good people' had arrived, so we could continue having beers in the parking lot for cheap.

Seriously? If you're concerned with lameness, I suggest moving out of Champions. Geography alone makes you a club tourist, a first cousin of full-on douche. What can I say? Us inner loopers are snobs that way. :D

I'm having trouble comprehending living in Champions and at the same time having a desire to go to the trendiest clubs in the city. In high school with a fake ID? Inherited a house on the course?

Come on! Be nice!

Probably 20-30 something with a desire to check out the new 'talent' in the area...

As for Reign, I haven't been there, but my buddy went to happy hour there yesterday and mentioned it was full of 50 something year olds with lots of faux-hawks and Ed Hardy...

I'm excited about the Drinkery and the Sawyer sports bar openings...

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as mean if I did. I just haven't had the desire to do anything near a "club" in 10 years. Even back then it was a pain, I've always preferred a dive or pub type atmosphere. Maybe it's because I refuse to use hair gel. I live 2 miles from "the strip" and have yet to even drive past it after 10:30 pm. I'm a parent now so I have a great excuse to be lame.

Come on! Be nice!

Probably 20-30 something with a desire to check out the new 'talent' in the area...

As for Reign, I haven't been there, but my buddy went to happy hour there yesterday and mentioned it was full of 50 something year olds with lots of faux-hawks and Ed Hardy...

hmm, so douchebaggery knows no age limit!

A friend was at Benjy's happy hour the other night, and he said it was crawling with sinewy, too-tan 40ish women.

Too bad the older douches aren't interested in women their own age. It would be a match made in tanning salon heaven.

my buddy went to happy hour there yesterday and mentioned it was full of 50 something year olds with lots of faux-hawks and Ed Hardy...

We were there last night for a friend's birthday and this is a pretty accurate statement.

Sounds pretty fixed gear atm.

I'll admit it was a nice scene a couple years ago; of course parking wasn't a problem back then, nor did the folks complain much about us.

I miss the rhythm room, the abyss, chaise lounge, & walter's (b4 the townhomes) to recall a few..

Next thing you know they will start hitting up ________! (hehehe)

:P

I'm having trouble comprehending living in Champions and at the same time having a desire to go to the trendiest clubs in the city. In high school with a fake ID? Inherited a house on the course?

I work close by, and I don't like to live more than a few minutes drive from work, so that's why I'm out here in Champions. It's a nice area, but lacks the vibrancy of the city. I'm 28, so I'm at the prime age for the Washington Ave scene. I'm about to figure out an exit strategy, so I can start looking for a new job inside the loop and be where I need to be. :)

Come on! Be nice!

I'm excited about the Drinkery and the Sawyer sports bar openings...

You got it! I'll probably go to Reign at some point, despite what you just said. I just like to check out new places and see the vibe for myself. I was just eager for someone to report back what kind of crowd it had, since I've been anticipating its opening. I mostly prefer bars that are classy but not pretentious, which is why I like Kobain the most so far.

hmm, so douchebaggery knows no age limit!

A friend was at Benjy's happy hour the other night, and he said it was crawling with sinewy, too-tan 40ish women.

Too bad the older douches aren't interested in women their own age. It would be a match made in tanning salon heaven.

If their male counterparts are all at Reign Lounge, they'll be forced to pick up younger guys. Hmmm.

Pretty amusing that I'm not the only one who thinks that about the female patrons at the new Benjy's. I was there last Sunday and these four cougars at the bar were being pretty loud. They kept picking on the poor bartender all night calling him "Wolverine" because they thought he looked like Hugh Jackman.

I would define Cougars as late thirties (>=38) and beyond with at least one kid (teenage) and divorced/open marriage.

Generally takes care of her body and keeps up with the latest tabloids (US Weekly) to be in tune with the latest fashions. Will pick and choose twenty year old trends to mix and match with their mature persona and style.

Role models include Demi Moore, Vivica Fox and the lady from Ocean's 13.

at what age does one become a cougar? just a thought -- maybe these ladies were just hanging out together enjoying some drinks ... not on the "prowl"

4 older woman at a bar past 8 (or any time on a Sunday) + no men in the group + hitting on bartenders + dressing like they are 20 years younger = cougars.

I wasn't there and I bet all of the above are true :)

4 older woman at a bar past 8 (or any time on a Sunday) + no men in the group + hitting on bartenders + dressing like they are 20 years younger = cougars.

I wasn't there and I bet all of the above are true :)

Those are exactly the circumstances as I saw it two weeks ago.

Archived