Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

Can't blame him. He's trying to hurry up and start making money now that the nightlife is booming around there. So you think the place across from the barrell entrance bar is going to be a douchebar? What gives you the impression if it's not opened yet?

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The barrel place will be Taps House of Beers, I guess this will be similar to the Ginger Man in Rice Village.

The douchiness from the place across the street probably comes from the Escalade with 28" wheels...so 200-LATE!

haha...jk, couldn't resist. I am excited about all of these places opening on Washington, douchey or not.

Can't blame him. He's trying to hurry up and start making money now that the nightlife is booming around there. So you think the place across from the barrell entrance bar is going to be a douchebar? What gives you the impression if it's not opened yet?

OK, I am old and out of touch...but what exactly is a douchebar?

Not on Washington, but in the area...

I noticed this morning that the Westcott Bar & Grill, north of the WoW roundabout, has a sign up "congratulating" the neighborhood on "their" new Onion Creek. A similar sign was put up in Shady Acres a few months before Cedar Creek opened for business.

The barrel place will be Taps House of Beers, I guess this will be similar to the Ginger Man in Rice Village.

The douchiness from the place across the street probably comes from the Escalade with 28" wheels...so 200-LATE!

haha...jk, couldn't resist. I am excited about all of these places opening on Washington, douchey or not.

Taps House of Beers is still on? Nice! I thought they weren't opening anymore and it was going to be Busty (Rusty?) La Rue's. It'll be nice to have a relaxed place with many different kinds of beer.

Not on Washington, but in the area...

I noticed this morning that the Westcott Bar & Grill, north of the WoW roundabout, has a sign up "congratulating" the neighborhood on "their" new Onion Creek. A similar sign was put up in Shady Acres a few months before Cedar Creek opened for business.

awesome, I love the Creeks. They are neighbor and community friendly. Just wish they would get better food. Had breakfast there Monday morning and the grits were speckles floating in water - grit broth...eggs over easy were more like hard boiled. The bacon was crisp just the way I like it, though. I have never been satisfied with their food and I have been going since they opened. I still like the place.

I've heard this is a good spot to meet friendly people and attractive girls. Is it a coffee shop or a bar or cafe or all of the above?

Kobain is a bar that has a huge outdoor patio. I'm not sure about any other function (although I saw a sign advertising weekend brunch). IMO, the patrons are not anymore friendly than any other bar. I've always had a great time and met friendly people at Komodos in Midtown. The crowd is mid 20s - mid 30s I'd say.

Kobain is a bar that has a huge outdoor patio. I'm not sure about any other function (although I saw a sign advertising weekend brunch). IMO, the patrons are not anymore friendly than any other bar. I've always had a great time and met friendly people at Komodos in Midtown. The crowd is mid 20s - mid 30s I'd say.

I just remember someone saying in a citysearch review I read recently that it had attractive girls and people in general there were personable. I had no way of knowing if other places are the same way, since this was my first time to go out at night on Washington other than a show at Walter's on Washington.

Anyway, I went there this Saturday night with my brother. I really liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It lived up to what that reviewer wrote and more! It kind of reminded me of Byzantios a little bit, the way you enter through a gate into an outdoor patio, then there's a covered patio, then the indoors. The place had a really good vibe to it and smelled nice outside. (Not sure if that was the women who smelled so good around me or the candles they had set up on all the tables :)).

Went to Dubliner on a weekend afternoon. Nothing really special, not very many TV's, not a huge beer selection. Nothing bad about the place, but nothing stood out. Friendly bartender.

Hit Shuck Daddy's last night. Nice layout, friendly and attentive staff. Limited menu (according to my wife), food was a little above average. Prices were hefty. 2 beers, 1 po' boy w/ fries and 1 fried shrimp w/ fries = $30.

Would be great if they had a lunch menu.

Hit Shuck Daddy's last night. Nice layout, friendly and attentive staff. Limited menu (according to my wife), food was a little above average. Prices were hefty. 2 beers, 1 po' boy w/ fries and 1 fried shrimp w/ fries = $30.

Would be great if they had a lunch menu.

Nice to know... My husband and I were just discussing Shuck Daddy's last weekend and deciding if we should try it... We went somewhere else instead, but we'll definitely give them a try.

looks like 11 news is doing a report on how the bars are ruining the quality of life for residents along washington corridor

I just saw the report. Like I posted a few pages back the bars and residents on Washington will not co-exist for much longer. Do Houston bars ever win in these qaulity of life issues with local neighbors?

I just saw the report. Like I posted a few pages back the bars and residents on Washington will not co-exist for much longer. Do Houston bars ever win in these qaulity of life issues with local neighbors?

the city just makes it harder for them to operate. more noise meters, inspections, etc. i know they've been doing joint inspections with tabc in midtown.

I think some things people say don't help either side:

"We do want development. We want to see businesses come, but the right kind of businesses," said Thomason.

"But at the end of the day, this is a big city and this is how it is when you live inside the loop," Paolucci said.

:huh:

Does anyone know what happened with Blue Label Lounge? Was it shut down from the inspections that have been going on in Midtown and this area?

It's possible that they are all just going over to "Eight." It's possible that Blue Label and Citizen will collapse under the weight of their own pretentiousness.

As far as the neighborhoods having problems with the bars; unless the city steps in with some sort of ordinance, they will have to rely on law enforcement to keep the crowds in line. Once it starts to get more dense (The corridor, not the people) might solve the issue. But that probably won't happen for decades.

I know what happened to Blue Label Lounge, it sucks so people stopped going! LOL, jk...just not my crowd.

On a serious note, the comments on that KXAN story mention the comparison between Washington Ave and Richmond Strip several times. As I am a younger pup, can anyone elaborate on the Richmond Strip at all? Supposedly in the '70's (?) this place was hopping and then obviously died down.

In my younger generation, I would be more inclined to compare Washington Ave to 4th St. in Austin.

What are your thoughts on this? Any comparisons between 4th St. and Richmond?

Archived