Another Bar On Washington Ave.

margokorin

One time I was at the Flying Saucer and there was a replay of a Rice baseball game on rather than the live Astros game. I asked the waitress if she could change it and she said that they couldn't because they had changed it too many times that day. Uhhhhh.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been wondering about the mannequins too! They have graced the windows for about a month now. Whoever has moved into Casa's needs to take down the catering signage

drove by this building tonight. it is full of clothes racks so it apparently is going to be a clothing store. there were people in there setting up.

i also noticed the bronx bar is almost done. several people in the back working to get it set up.

drove by this building tonight. it is full of clothes racks so it apparently is going to be a clothing store. there were people in there setting up.

i also noticed the bronx bar is almost done. several people in the back working to get it set up.

I thought Bronx wasn't going to happen?

still on their website...

Bronx Washington

Bronx Bar is located on Washington street and is the third Bronx Bar to be open. This Bronx Bar location is the first to have a full kitchen to satisfy your appetite whether its lunch, dinner, or a late night snack. At night get ready to dance and hang out while the DJ spins a mix of rock, house, and hip-hop. Take your party outside and enjoy the view of the heights from our beautiful roof top and massive deck.

http://www.thebronxbar.com/

They've been doing a lot of work on the inside and the front sidewalk area lately, so I'm assuming that it got the go ahead.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed them putting up a sign for Bedrock City Comics where the physicians office used to be on Washington (same shopping center as Citizen Lounge).

It seems like an odd fit on Washington, but who knows?

Bedrock City Comics

They've been doing a lot of work on the inside and the front sidewalk area lately, so I'm assuming that it got the go ahead.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed them putting up a sign for Bedrock City Comics where the physicians office used to be on Washington (same shopping center as Citizen Lounge).

It seems like an odd fit on Washington, but who knows?

Bedrock City Comics

uh-oh. The kid in me just smiled and knowing the adult in me, I'll be dropping by for back issues of XMen.

Taps House of Beer(The bar with the barrel entrance) was open last night. Just thought I'd pass it along.

I noticed it yesterday as well.

yay. More parking (problems)!

Makes ya' wonder who would win in the parking wars that will eventually happen.

Makes ya' wonder who would win in the parking wars that will eventually happen.

There's plenty of pay parking over there now.

It sucks that we can't park free everywhere in the city now but I don't know of many major cities where you wouldn't expect to pay to park in an entertainment district.

I think we're probably just been spoiled over the years.

There's plenty of pay parking over there now.

It sucks that we can't park free everywhere in the city now but I don't know of many major cities where you wouldn't expect to pay to park in an entertainment district.

I think we're probably just been spoiled over the years.

Maybe people will finally stop complaining about restaurants and bars having valet parking like it's a bad thing.

Maybe people will finally stop complaining about restaurants and bars having valet parking like it's a bad thing.

NEVER!!! I'll just pay 10 bucks for a cab and not worry about how much I drink anyway. Oh wait, I'm old with babies, I don't do that crap any more.

I have this feeling that with the the number of options on Washington now, some of these clubs/lounges need to rethink what they're doing or else they will have no choice but to close. One example, Reign Lounge: the building looks good and the concept of the place is current style, however they need to lose the bouncer w/ clipboard thing and the red carpet and ropes outside. That is such a 1990s thing. In today's social/nightlife scene, that isn't exactly cool anymore. Instead of trying to create hype, they should be trying to figure out how to stay in business after everyone's gotten the chance to see the place, and people begin to explore other options, and the rents/taxes start going up. The typical cycle for clubs that operate this way is 1) Club opens 2) Club is hot for a few months while everyone is wanting to see it for the first time 3) The girls you want to meet go elsewhere 4) All girls stop going creating a sausage fest 5) Dudes stop going because there are no girls 6) Owner freaks out because they're not making money and changes policy and they start letting just about anyone in. (Ordinarily at this stage, the club would just continue to operate with lower prices, less restrictions on who gets in, etc., but because of the location, Reign would have to close once it gets to this stage.)

Went to Taps last night. They have a GREAT selection of draft beer. Place is pretty laid back and had a good vibe. What I did not have a good vibe about was the $9 shots!! Bronx bar had thier soft opening last night.

How much was a pint? Did you notice any happy hour type deals, we're trying to find a good place for a post-work get together, and many available beers is a prerequisite.

I have this feeling that with the the number of options on Washington now, some of these clubs/lounges need to rethink what they're doing or else they will have no choice but to close. One example, Reign Lounge: the building looks good and the concept of the place is current style, however they need to lose the bouncer w/ clipboard thing and the red carpet and ropes outside. That is such a 1990s thing. In today's social/nightlife scene, that isn't exactly cool anymore. Instead of trying to create hype, they should be trying to figure out how to stay in business after everyone's gotten the chance to see the place, and people begin to explore other options, and the rents/taxes start going up. The typical cycle for clubs that operate this way is 1) Club opens 2) Club is hot for a few months while everyone is wanting to see it for the first time 3) The girls you want to meet go elsewhere 4) All girls stop going creating a sausage fest 5) Dudes stop going because there are no girls 6) Owner freaks out because they're not making money and changes policy and they start letting just about anyone in. (Ordinarily at this stage, the club would just continue to operate with lower prices, less restrictions on who gets in, etc., but because of the location, Reign would have to close once it gets to this stage.)

I heard Reign is filling to capacity. That being the case, they have to control the door flow to stay within fire code.

I heard Reign is filling to capacity. That being the case, they have to control the door flow to stay within fire code.

It should be, given the cycle I mentioned. It will be a hot place to go for a few more months, but then once it is no longer the "it" place on Washington, Reign will have to find a way to stay profitable with all the other options along the corridor now. Maybe they understand the business and have no intention of being a long term neighborhood lounge. Maybe they just want to make a lot of money while they can and then pack up and leave. If they were smart, they'd invest in the long term, because while you can say that this area falls under the migrating club scene category, it is also a recently gentrified area that is going to continue to establish itself over the years with a relatively young demographic.

Reign is not in a very good location in relation to the other clubs since it's at the end of a chain of clubs. The parking situation is horrid and the valet system is totally screwed up to the point where it blocks traffic along Washington.

The Drinkery (and other bars) is in a slightly better position because it can feed off the other nearby bars.

I still think NOX is going to die if it doesn't resolve it's Valet/traffic issue.

Reign is not in a very good location in relation to the other clubs since it's at the end of a chain of clubs. The parking situation is horrid and the valet system is totally screwed up to the point where it blocks traffic along Washington.

The Drinkery (and other bars) is in a slightly better position because it can feed off the other nearby bars.

I still think NOX is going to die if it doesn't resolve it's Valet/traffic issue.

I agree about the location of Reign, and I'm wondering if it will hurt the place sooner rather than later. I really don't think the owners did their research on the neighborhood before building the place. It's like they just wanted to exploit the hipness of Washington and hurriedly found property while it was still cheap.

Where is Nox exactly? Isn't it on another street that's north of Washington? I figured it wouldn't have the same parking issues since it's off by itself.

Isn't there one going up right Shepherd and Durham for that new shopping center (Washington Centre?) that is about halfway built? I think that they expedited the parking garage construction so they could begin obtaining income through valet parking contracts. That's the only way I think that Bronx Bar was able to solve their parking issues.

Did anyone see the Houston Press story in the current issue about Bronx Bar being racist? I wonder if its going to damage business at their locations.

Edit: this one http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/07/_normal_0_microsoftinternetexp.php

Pretty amusing article actually, from the title: "Bronx Cheer: Black Music Allowed at Rice Village Bar. Black People? (Allegedly) Not So Much."

Also, that they turned away a black guy who was from the Bronx, heh.

Did anyone see the Houston Press story in the current issue about Bronx Bar being racist? I wonder if its going to damage business at their locations.

this has been happening for yrs at various places. when the trendiness closes they magically start letting minorities in.

Edit: this one http://blogs.houston...internetexp.php

Pretty amusing article actually, from the title: "Bronx Cheer: Black Music Allowed at Rice Village Bar. Black People? (Allegedly) Not So Much."

Also, that they turned away a black guy who was from the Bronx, heh.

I can TOTALLY vouch for that being TRUE. I had my 25th b-day party there and my invite list included all races. I literally had to embarrass the heck out of the door douche to let my black friends in. I basically called him a racist in front of the crowd, got the manager out there and called him a racist, and then he let them in (all 2 of them). I really didn't want to stay there after all that, but it was already 1:00 a.m. and I was too drunk to round up my gang and move.

I agree about the location of Reign, and I'm wondering if it will hurt the place sooner rather than later. I really don't think the owners did their research on the neighborhood before building the place. It's like they just wanted to exploit the hipness of Washington and hurriedly found property while it was still cheap.

Where is Nox exactly? Isn't it on another street that's north of Washington? I figured it wouldn't have the same parking issues since it's off by itself.

It's just off Shepherd on Nett Street.

Parking is a nightmare. Go there at 10pm on a friday night and post what you see. :)

A parking garage on Washington around Shepherd/Durham would go a long way.

I've been saying that for several threads.

Wanna go in on a parking garage? :)

We can have a HAIFy garage if we get enough people. LOL.

I can TOTALLY vouch for that being TRUE. I had my 25th b-day party there and my invite list included all races. I literally had to embarrass the heck out of the door douche to let my black friends in. I basically called him a racist in front of the crowd, got the manager out there and called him a racist, and then he let them in (all 2 of them). I really didn't want to stay there after all that, but it was already 1:00 a.m. and I was too drunk to round up my gang and move.

Funny, Citizen Lounge is next door. They did that to a couple of my friends last year. I have not heard anything lately about them but I do not see that place as busy as others late on a Saturday night.

Archived