No More VCRs. JVC makes its last VHS machine.

Looks like JVC has shut down production of VCRs. According to Retro Thing it was the last company making stand-alone machines.

I remember a number of VCRs we had over the years. I remember our first one (Sears, I think) was a top-loader and had 20 pushbuttons for changing channels. Each channel preset had to be tuned with a tiny thumbwheel. It also had a "remote" control that was actually wired to the machine.

My father had one (a Panasonic) with a little optical scanner pen for setting the timer. If you wanted to record something Thursday at 8pm on channel 4 you'd scan barcodes corresponding to Thursday, 8pm, and channel 4 then press a button on the pen to transmit the information to the VCR.

My last VCR (also a Panasonic) was my favorite. It had the ability to read superblack in the TV transmissions and use it to skip commercials in much the same way that TiVO does now. Except, that unlike TiVO the commercial skipping was automatic and there was no monthly fee. After recording a program on the timer it would go back and analyze the recording looking for commercials and marking their locations.

• 3 weeks later...
I remember a number of VCRs we had over the years. I remember our first one (Sears, I think) was a top-loader and had 20 pushbuttons for changing channels. Each channel preset had to be tuned with a tiny thumbwheel. It also had a "remote" control that was actually wired to the machine.

That sounds almost exactly like our first VCR, which was a GE brand machine. It may have been very similar to your Sears model, as GE made a lot of small appliances and electronics for Sears at the time.

Until selling it in a garage sale just a couple of years ago, my parents still had it, and it still worked, although they hadn't had it connected to the TV in years.

I sold my VCR -- the only one that was ever "mine" -- before moving back in May. I put it on Craigslist along with a TV I got in high school and someone bought them both for $25.

We do have a VCR still. It was my partner's, and we have it connected to the TV in the living room… but I have no idea when we'd ever use it.

JVC stopped but other manufacturers didn't stop.

According to the article, JVC was the last one manufacturing stand-alone VCRs. Other manufacturers stopped years ago.

It says there are some off-brands still building combo DVD/VCR units, but the stand-alone VCRs are done.

Archived