MD Anderson Mid Campus 1 Building At 7007 Bertner Ave.

MD Anderson Mid Campus Developments.

I didn't see any other threads referring to this project nor could I find anything about it elsewhere...

At any rate, I saw this sign earlier in the afternoon. I wasn't sure of the intersection (I think it's Braeswood @ Cecil, and there's a traffic light there) but it is just east of Fannin in the "new" south side of the TMC.

Here's a photo of the sign w/ rendering. Pardon the quality, but it's fun to try shooting at a red light and at an odd angle nearly into the sun. :P

Guessing 24-26 floors?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/houtosme/HouConstruction/DSC01978-1.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sweet... I hadn't heard about this.

Found it mentioned here in this state of Texas funding itemization. Cost: 350,000,000.

Here is the project description (7007 Bertner Avenue, Houston, TX 77030):

The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center proposes to construct the

Administrative Support Building, which will provide office space for occupants currently located

on the Main Campus and various lease sites, as well as new incremental space to support

institutional growth projections. This project constructs the shell and core of approximately

1,368,600 gross square feet and the build-out of approximately 374,000 net assignable square

feet (NASF), with the remaining 521,612 NASF shelled for future tenant build-out.

• Like 1

Is this supposed to go on the Prudential Tower lot?

No, but the more MD Anderson builds, the less need for the Prudential (not a good justification, but couple that with the fact that it is not being taken care of well, then claiming it is a "sick" building).

edit - the Prudential is on Holcombe, and the OP mentioned this was on Braeswood Blvd. near Fannin.

• Like 1

No, but the more MD Anderson builds, the less need for the Prudential (not a good justification, but couple that with the fact that it is not being taken care of well, then claiming it is a "sick" building).

edit - the Prudential is on Holcombe, and the OP mentioned this was on Braeswood Blvd. near Fannin.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...p?showtopic=725

Here's the Prudential link.

Mapquest can't find 7007 Bertner. Bertner becomes Cecil south of Braeswood and the block number is 7000. So, this project must be going south of the bayou.

• Like 1

Yup that's what I thought until somebody said something about Prudential.

It was me. I'll bet those working at the 'Pru' will move into this building after it's built and then they will tear it down. Just my speculation.

Edited by rsb320
  • Like 1

I know the bioengineering department is still in Prudential. Unless they are going to build BioE a new building or send them somewhere else, I am guessing Prudential will stay for the time being. I doubt the bioengineers are going to the administrative building.

I think a new BioE building is supposed to replace prudential when it is demolished. Not sure when that would be though.

• Like 1

I know the bioengineering department is still in Prudential. Unless they are going to build BioE a new building or send them somewhere else, I am guessing Prudential will stay for the time being. I doubt the bioengineers are going to the administrative building.

I think a new BioE building is supposed to replace prudential when it is demolished. Not sure when that would be though.

The Houston Main Building (Old Prudential) is being vacated as we speek. It was slated for decommissioning, but UTMDACC has just recently (post Ike) offered it to UTMB for temporary use. I have not heard from my source how UTMB has responded to the offer.

• Like 1

Well, that would certainly appear to be the case since everything is landlocked around there.

A thing about certain appearances. A pastor told me a couple of years ago that if a person comes into an auditorium and the seats are 70% occupied, they feel like there are no seats left for them. It's a cute little factoid until you realize that your socially practical capacity is barely two thirds of what your serious estimates thought you were putting in. The TMC is pretty crowded at its core (at least in the sense that all the land is institutionally spoken for and sat on; there's still a lot of vertical expansion that could take place), but when you skim around you are struck by nothing so much as its peripheral seas of surface parking more prevalent than anything downtown in the 1970s. Once you start to map it out, Baylor's destruction of the Parkwood live oak grove was more for deed convenience than anything. There is one king-hell of a lot of room to expand, and if anybody needed 60Msf instead of the current 30 it'd comfortably double along OST alone without crossing Murworth or Almeda. And probably will. It's just that deed consolidation makes the westward neighborhoods psychologically seem more impermeable than they've really got to be, so that after Hermann Park standing to the north, people just get that seventy percent feeling right out their ears.

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1

Since nobody has figured it out, what MDACC needs to start doing is building arcologies. Just have a jenga grid of 20' deep trusses, and lab, office or clinic modules can be rotated in and out of the infrastructure as various TMC institutions need flex space faster than they can design shell expansions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...